Flightaware splitting one flight into two (or more) - but only sometimes?

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
When I look at flights (especially training flights) on Flightaware, I notice that often during touch and goes or full-stop-taxi-backs, Flightaware splits this into two (or more) flights in the "Past Flights" section (web version, similar with the apps). Like this:

1708724194501.png

This was one flight with a landing in the middle. Notice the second takeoff time is 2 minutes after the landing. Although you and I might not consider this two "flights" (and if you do a lot of landings you could have one flight that is divided up into one flight for each lap around the pattern), at least it does kind of make sense from a "normal person" perspective. And also kind of makes sense as the aircraft drops below ADS-B coverage when it lands.

But sometimes it splits it up and other times it doesn't. For example, here is another flight (in a different airplane) that involved a full-stop with a taxi back, and therefore several minutes on the ground. This one it did NOT split up into two flights. You can tell by the track depiction that the aircraft was below ADS-B coverage by the fact that it draws a straight line down the runway, and the altitude/speed graph shows what seems like just connecting the points where coverage was lost on landing and regained after takeoff, in the middle.

1708724631746.png

Does anybody have any knowledge of what FA uses for its "split them up or not" logic? And hypotheses on why this would be? Might it be dependent on the type of ADS-B Out in the aircraft? Maybe a difference between 978 and 1090? Something else?

Need links. I can't tell anything from a screenshot.

Keep in mind FA aimed to track and share commercial and business jets. Little trainers likely falls into the best effort category. If it is the same airport/aircraft where one flight split and the other didn’t, I’d be surprised. Different airports/aircraft will boil down to the detail FA can extract from ADS-B. So, when an aircraft lands, a flight ends. A takeoff would then constitute a new flight. So the question is, did FlightAware detect a landing or interpolate the data without a landing?

If you want to get a deeper sense of how that construct their data, and thus handle their flights, check out the Firehose API docs.

(I never worked for FA but I’ve spent a LOT of time looking at their data).

Back