Flightaware frequency and locating

cgrab

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
cgrab
After my flight review I checked flightaware to see my perfect circles done during my steep turns. All I was able to see was a little flicker of the track. Also, my landings were done about a mile from the runway.

Does anyone know how frequently flightaware puts down a dot and how they sinc the track to the map?

Position only flights, which assuming that's what it was, are potentially inaccurate. There's been many times when I've gone back and looked at my track after a flight and it hasn't been the same as what I actually flew.

It's amusing because sometimes it is very close but then you'll get a point that is like 20 miles away from the flight path. Looks rather odd.
But a Ryan says, unless you're IFR, the data FA gets is unreliable and FA will just tell you that if you complain about it.

Just curious...why would it be any better..isn't it all from the same data source?

My local flights here in NC never seem to be on FlightAware but always show up on Flightradar24. I haven’t researched why, I just use what works.

After my flight review I checked flightaware to see my perfect circles done during my steep turns. All I was able to see was a little flicker of the track. Also, my landings were done about a mile from the runway.

Does anyone know how frequently flightaware puts down a dot and how they sinc the track to the map?

Get a stratus and cloudahoy subscribtion

Flight exchange was just a little bit more off. It had my flight over Carlsbad CA instead of North Alabama.

Position only flights, which assuming that's what it was, are potentially inaccurate. There's been many times when I've gone back and looked at my track after a flight and it hasn't been the same as what I actually flew.

That’s not the inaccuracy. Position only means no associated tail number from atc or flight plan. If the airplane has ADSB out the positions are very accurate. If the data points are coming from TIS-B/atc radar? Less so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My local flights here in NC never seem to be on FlightAware but always show up on Flightradar24. I haven’t researched why, I just use what works.

You have to turn on “position only flights” in flightaware. Flight radar uses ADSB position crowdsourced I believe where as flightaware has more data sources. You can’t turn that on in flightaware without a free account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. Depends where they have receivers.

You could also try ADSBexchange. There’s a history function at https://flight-data.adsbexchange.com/

Resolution is 1 minute though.
I looked at that adsb excahange and that looks pretty accurate. What I found interesting is that it had all different squawk codes in. Some even 7600!?! Not sure why

If you have Foreflight you can download a .kml file to display your track on Google Earth, very accurately.

I know but cloudahoy is just a much more powerful and fun tool to use to look at flights.

Back