FlightAssistant gets integrated maps and is out of the "beta zone"

FlightAssistant

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FlightAssistant
It' s been a little while since I presented you FlightAssistant, a GPS moving map for VFR pilots that rune on Android devices.

I had a few comments about the difficulty to get your own maps (in the beta release it was the only solution and it was indeed cumbersome).

But things have improved a lot with the release of 1.0: FlightAssistant now integrates a map store (actually quite a lose name as it only offers free maps).

We currently have coverage for Europe and the US (ain't you guys lucky?)

In a nutshell, here are the features it boasts:

Data & maps
Use free maps from the FlightAssitant maps library or create your own raster maps
Use community maintained aeronautical data from renowned sources
Official NOTAMs, METARs & TAFs
Access airport charts & documents in flight (availability varies on a country basis)
Define own plane with own performances (horizontal & vertical speeds, weight stations, WB enveloppe)

Flight preparation
Use flight plans (inc. vertical navigation)
Flexible & versatile weight and balance module
Import your flight plan from another software of your choice (GPX import)

In flight
Multi-zoom moving map “North up” or “track up”
Customisable “speed vector” on the moving map (shows plane position in the next minutes)
Horizontal Situation Indicator
Vertical navigation (altitudes changes, slope indicator)
Constantly updated electronic navigation log (aka FMS)
Versatile usage modes (free flight, GOTO, flight plan, direct).
Constant performance based calculation of ETEs and ETAs

It comes with a comprehensive documentation.

Feel free to give it a try, it is completely free (and will remain this way).
I'd be delighted to hear from users from the US.

Get it on Google Play or visit our website for more information.

Enjoy your flights!

PS: a few screen shots to wet your appetite ;).
fa-map-colorado_framed.png
fa-vac_framed.png
FA-CG-calc-results.png

This may be a stupid question for you digital weenies out there, but how do you tell an "android" device from something else? I've only messed around with the iPad, but if this stuff is as good as it looks, I'm through with Foreflight annual maintenance charges which will probably BUY me an android device. But how do one know?

Jim

This may be a stupid question for you digital weenies out there, but how do you tell an "android" device from something else? I've only messed around with the iPad, but if this stuff is as good as it looks, I'm through with Foreflight annual maintenance charges which will probably BUY me an android device. But how do one know?

Jim
Jim

There are many android devices. What size device would you be looking for? I (and others) may be able to give a recommendation.

To answer the question though, any tablet you see not named i-something or another is likely android. There are a few windows tablets but the majority (of non apple tablets) are android.

In addition to the offering here by the OP there is another free option with expanding features named avare.

Last edited:

Jim

If it says apple, it's not android. If it doesn't say apple, it's more than likely an android device. Samsung, Sony, Motorola, HTC, LG etc... all are mainly android. There are other platforms out there, namely windows. But aside from a few niche phones and their surface tablets, there's not much windows stuff on the market. Oh and there's blackberry but there's only one semi retired guy in rural New York who has one.

Make it open source and free forever and make it sync up with all the WAAS portables including the GDL39 and you've got a customer. :yesnod:

Back