Flight training on vacation

If no one here recommends anyone I’d just call some local airports and ask around…
That's what I always did. Well, more like searching the internet and contacting the schools be email, once that became a thing. I may have some kind of record taking a lesson while on a trip.

I've also given lessons to vacationers.

I’m taking my family to clear water over spring break. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good CFI in that area? I would like to book a lesson that week.
What state?

Beware: SHAMELESS salesman pitch...

I just started running a flight school here in Gulf Shores. A big part of our business is folks doing just that.

Quite a few folks from my former residence, near Chattanooga, are changing their vacation destinations so they can fly on vacation with us.

This includes simple airplane rental, a couple 172s.

So I can’t say for central Florida, but here at Jack Edwards, the class D has several miles of ocean beaches!

Well Tampa Bay Aviation -who I was hoping to get some Com training time with in G1000 172’s - just told me to pound sand they’re too busy for “transients” - I was trying to do at least a couple of hrs a day for 5 days at least. No joy….

Beware: SHAMELESS salesman pitch...

I just started running a flight school here in Gulf Shores. A big part of our business is folks doing just that.

Quite a few folks from my former residence, near Chattanooga, are changing their vacation destinations so they can fly on vacation with us.

This includes simple airplane rental, a couple 172s.

So I can’t say for central Florida, but here at Jack Edwards, the class D has several miles of ocean beaches!

How long has JKA been a class D? I didn't know that. I got my complex/high performance endorsement there in an 182RG around 2002.

I flew once at St Pete Air in St. Petersburg which
Isn’t to far from Clearwater.My wife and I were in the area for a medical reason and had an afternoon open and called them up and we were flying in less than an hour.

Late November.

Newest tower around. Beautiful up there. NO RADAR. Two guys, two pair of binoculars, paper strips and sharpies... No cell phone, no flight aware. No computer screen. No nothing. No kidding.

Getting an IFR clearance requires the ground guy to pick up a telephone set, write what he hears. Read it to you verbally. Ya, no chance for error there...

So... when calling in, call your location accurately. Having your nose on and landing light on, any time of the day, is a good idea.

Back