Flight training near a warm beach?

MontanaMan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
MontanaMan
Hi Folks:

My family and I want to take a vacation soon to a nice sunny beach spot -- anywhere in the US is fine.

I'd like to do my flight training during this time. Looking for a ticket factory where I can get my Sport License in about 2.5 weeks. I know this is not the ideal way to train for flying, but it's what I'd like to do.

Does anyone know of a good CFI or School near a southern beach that can give that level of training? Again, any Warm area is fine ... preferably with a good beach.

Thanks!

Last edited:
KCLW Clearwater Florida has a Skycatcher. I believe it's Tampa Bay Aviation. Not far from the beaches around Tampa/St. Pete.

Try Sarasota ,6 miles from some great beaches.

Platinum Aviation near West Palm Beach FL. They are based at North County Airport (F45). They also have a C-162.

Thanks guys ... trying to track them down and see if they are available. Anything in TX or California? Keep 'em coming, and thanks again.

Jacksonville FL, probably all down the east coast of FL.

Thanks again for the recommendations. If anyone can recommend a specific school that includes accelerated Sport License training, it would be much appreciated.

Lockwood Aviation in Sebring Florida can do accelerated sport training in a Tecnam P92, but they are in the middle of the state. About an hour to either coast.

Southern Beach? Like Gulf Coast, or along the Pacific? I'd say come to Los Angeles / Orange County (plenty for the family to do), and fly from KTOA, KFUL, or KSMO. The Airplane Factory (Sling 2) operates from KTOA. Fly Light Sport operates Remos GX aircraft out of KFUL. And Santa Monica Flyers operates SportCruisers out of KSMO.

I would say do the SP program in an Icon. Then you could get underwater egress training knocked out at the same time.

Ok ... I spent about 2 solid days on the phone talking with a ton of schools and independent CFIs. I decided to do the training in Southern California AFTER a 1-month vacation in Mexico. I found a retired airline pilot in the Riverside area who is very familiar with the sport certificate rules, and comes highly recommended by a lot of the DPEs in the area, and is also known/respected by the ASIs at the local FSDO. He is a "Part H" CFI, which means all my training with him will also count toward the Private Pilot Certificate.

He trains in a Piper L-4 Cub (military version of the J3 Cub), which is very similar to my little one-seat cub replica. So I'll come out of this with good tail-wheel experience, which I need for my own plane. And since his plane is certified, all my time in that plane will count toward the PPL. He is available and willing to do the intense 2-week training also. Overall ... I'd say he's an almost perfect fit for me.

And good point about the intensity of the training. We decided to do a road trip down the Baja Peninsula in Mexico. So I'll be doing swimming, running and pushups on the beach. I'll also be studying the training materials for the SP knowledge test. So by the time we get back up to Southern Cal, I'll be tanned, mentally rested, and physically fit -- about as ready as I'll ever be for intense training. My wife will drive the kids back to Montana, and I'll catch a flight back after I've gotten the SP certificate. I know it will be tough, but I'll just have to see it through. The instructor sounds very flexible too, so we can stretch it out a bit if necessary.

Thanks for all the advice, and best of luck to everyone!!

Back