Flight training at Republic, anyone know a good instructor/ club

IlyaK18

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
IlyaK18
Hello, Can anyone recommend a good instructor , or a good flying club that is located at Republic airport. Please let me know if anyone has any information about the Nomis flying club also. Looking to get my PPL on a Cherokee, flew the Cessna 152 a couple times but cannot continue as I am not the lightest guy and the plane was overweight. Would prefer a low wing airplane. If anyone has any good information about a flying club and instructor please let me know. Thank you very much !

What state is Republic in?

go to Nassau flyers. they have great instructors and planes. they have a couple of warriors and all have 430's in them. one of their archers has an HSI 2 430's and an autopilot (i forget which one). the other archer is full glass cockpit and they installed aspen avionics. their other warriors are standard with 430's in them. they also have a few sr20's and 22's. the sr 22's are FIKI equipped. they are pricier than other schools in republic but if you join their flying club you get discounts on planes and 1 hr of free instruction each month. for instructors i recommend either sean stefanak or steven deluca. i did my instrument with sean and am going to start commercial trinaing with him soon. he's a solid instructor, knows his stuff, and really elps ou understand and learn the material. book him in advanced because he is usually taken with other students which is another plus. he's booked often so you know he's good. steven deluca is the chief flight instructor who is also super busy and usually booked. i did my prog checks with him and he's a really laid back guy but gets knows when to get on your case when you need to be doing something
http://www.flynfi.com/

another school i'd recommend is global aviation which is in the atlantic aviation terminal. i'm currently renting from them to build time because the planes are cheaper but still reliable. the guys there are super friendly and try to help you out in any way possible. John, the owner/ one of the flight instructor is a really cool guy. i've never flown with him before but we've talked and he knows his stuff. another instructor is Ty. he's a good instructor who is working on his ATP. they have a couple of warriors. most of them have steam guages. one of them has a 430 in it and another one has a vfr garmin 496 gps. its always easy and seamless when i rent from them and haven't had any problems
http://www.globalaviationcorp.net/

i hope this helps!

Go to Heritage flight academy at KISP. The airport is so much better that KFRG because I never have takeoff delays at all! Heritage is a fantastic group and I've flown with them for 4 years now and they always take great care of their pilots. They have good rates too and the quality of instruction is great. Can't say enough good things about them.

They also just got a beutiful 182 with glass panel and a g1000 avionics package. They also have a nice 152 that you can rent after you get your pilots license. Certainly worth the extra little bit of a drive or train ride to get the kind of experience Heritage gives you!

Last edited:
Go to Heritage flight academy at KISP. The airport is so much better that KFRG because I never have takeoff delays at all! Heritage is a fantastic group and I've flown with them for 4 years now and they always take great care of their pilots. They have good rates too and the quality of instruction is great. Can't say enough good things about them.

They also just got a beutiful 182 with glass panel and a g1000 avionics package. They also have a nice 152 that you can rent after you get your pilots license. Certainly worth the extra little bit of a drive or train ride to get the kind of experience Heritage gives you!

Do you know Adam Rosenberg by any chance? If so, does he still teach?

I don't know about teaching, but I know he's a DPE and has done check rides for people at my school.

I don't know about teaching, but I know he's a DPE and has done check rides for people at my school.

Roger
I flown with him once (in a Decathlon) and he's a good stick & rudder pilot. If he still teaches I'd recommend working with him.

Adam gave me my check ride. He's a nice guy and very fair DPE. I think he still teaches tailwheel ratings but mostly does check rides.

Long Island Aviators, Best 172 G1000's on the field for the lowest price. Most of the instructors are older guys, Retired FDNY, Retired NYPD, one works for FAA at Tracon. No young kids looking to rack up flight hours. Another forum member just got her PPL through them, she has a blog under Cessnachick. I also instruct there part time, any questions you can shoot me an PM.

On a side note, you when you talk to whatever schools you look into, make sure it is their own planes they. A few of the places on the field use other operators planes and jack the price up by 10 to 15 an hours.

Long Island Aviators, Best 172 G1000's on the field for the lowest price. Most of the instructors are older guys, Retired FDNY, Retired NYPD, one works for FAA at Tracon. No young kids looking to rack up flight hours. Another forum member just got her PPL through them, she has a blog under Cessnachick. I also instruct there part time, any questions you can shoot me an PM.

Another one here for Long Island Aviators.
I finished up my training at Academy of Aviation before learning about Long Island Aviators, but have been renting from LIA for awhile. Great people, not out to make a buck but to pass on knowledge. Plane scheduling's easier. As a renter, I'm given keys to each aircraft I'm checked out in...no need to go by the office to pick up dispatch binders, and if I want to fly early AM or late PM, no problem.

I enjoyed my training at AoA, but it was spendy and it seemed to be geared toward the airline track and Part 141 instruction. I also rented from (and did Cirrus training with) Empire Flight, but they closed up shop. Check out LIA...I think you'll be pleased!

Back