Flight Training Article - Jesse and David

Re: Way to go JESSE!

It is acts of generosity such as Jesse's that make pilots so different. Of course, there are kind-hearted people in all walks of life, but every pilot I have ever met has had a wholesome kindness about them that stands out. These are the sort of people I cannot wait to actually meet in person, and which help me maintain my motivation to succeed. Bravo to Jesse, he and David share an experience clearly uncommon they (I assume) will reflect on in the most positive light for the rest of their lives.

I'm proud to call Jesse my best friend. We'll be headed back up to 6Y9 this year, but thankfully for Jesses sake he doesn't have to ride his motorcycle down here to get me.

It is acts of generosity such as Jesse's that make pilots so different. Of course, there are kind-hearted people in all walks of life, but every pilot I have ever met has had a wholesome kindness about them that stands out. These are the sort of people I cannot wait to actually meet in person, and which help me maintain my motivation to succeed. Bravo to Jesse, he and David share an experience clearly uncommon they (I assume) will reflect on in the most positive light for the rest of their lives.

That's quite a statement saying that all pilots are kind hearted. It's the kind of thing that's difficult to prove or disprove, but I like to think that you're right.

I feel compelled, however, to talk about one pilot on this forum that I've met personally that has PROVED himself to me to be generouis and a selfless promoter of GA like Jesse.

That pilot is Wayne. Last Fall, when I was struggling with maneuvers and hood work in preparation for the check ride and couldn't get my instructor to schedule time with me. Wayne volunteered.

He flew 50 or 60 miles to my airport and flew over an hour with me. He is a natural born instructor and gave me an incredible amount of help in a short time. He also let me fly his beautiful 180 and I learned even more just riding with him.

He did not do this as a money making proposition. He did it because there was someone having trouble and he wanted to help.

He didn't ride a thousand miles on a motorcycle to do it. But he showed the same type of selfless spirit.

It wasn't long after that flight that I passed my checkride, and he was a big part of the reason I was able to do it. He was a huge help and I'll never forget it.

Maybe not ALL pilots are kind hearted and helpful, but I know for sure that he is. I hope there's a point in the future where I can pass it along to someone else who needs it.

GA might be in deep doo doo as Wayne says, and numbers might be shrinking, but quality of the people in GA has to overcome lack of quantity to some level.

To Jesse and Wayne both, Well Done!

Thanks all - but all I did was go for a motorcycle ride and an airplane ride. The real credit goes to David for actually doing the flying and Sue for writing the article. It's not easy to get a story out of me (unless Crown Royal is involved) but she persisted and did a good job.

Another congratulation and thank you should go to Sue Smith, the author of the story. She is a fairly new private pilot and friend to those of us that call 9D9 home. I think she heard the story of Jesse and David's trip from Diz after we all got home from the 6Y9 Labor Day festivities. She thought it was a cool, feel good story for GA and said she'd always thought about trying to get something published and asked how she could contact Jesse and David to see if they would let her tell the story. I enjoyed the story and agree with Wayne that she should try to get some other publications to pick it up. It's not like I haven't seen the exact same stories about aviation maintenance in multiple publications.

Congrats to Sue for pursueing and telling the story and to Jesse and David for setting an example for others to follow.

Grant and I are posting this all over the place. I figure by OSH, David, Jesse, Sue, and Spike will all be standing around White Lightning in the Square handing out autographs. ;)

Grant and I are posting this all over the place. I figure by OSH, David, Jesse, Sue, and Spike will all be standing around White Lightning in the Square handing out autographs. ;)

Nate, I'm just a lucky bystander, but by Gd, you are onto something here.

Hey all, Sue Smith here. Thanks for the kind words about the article. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It wouldn't exist without Jesse and David and a big thanks for Diz for sharing the story with me. When she told me about it, I knew immediately that I wanted to do this. It was a story that was begging to be told and I am greatful that it was picked up by FT Mag. I am hoping to attend the big Labor Day bash this year and am looking forward to meeting you all!

David? Did they end up using my photos in the magazine? I never heard about that either way.

Great article!

Nice article. I'm impressed. Can't believe you did that but way cool that you did.

Nice article. I'm impressed. Can't believe you did that but way cool that you did.

He (and they) did that. Met them at 6Y9, I did.

And you can believe that I make it to 6Y9, there are a couple stories and Barb and others have pictures...

He (and they) did that. Met them at 6Y9, I did.

And you can believe that I make it to 6Y9, there are a couple stories and Barb and others have pictures...

I met them there too. And Clark came from pretty far away.... Colorado? All the way to Michigan?

I met them there too. And Clark came from pretty far away.... Colorado? All the way to Michigan?

Of course it's well established that Kim doesn't really exist even though several people claim to have met her/flown with her, etc.

:D

BTW, it's not that far from CO to MI, it's just across Nebraska and Io'sota...five or six hours in the 'kota until the headwinds on the return trip.

Last edited:

Of course it's well established that Kim doesn't really exist even though several people claim to have met her/flown with her, etc.

:D

BTW, it's not that far from CO to MI, it's just across Nebraska and Io'sota...five or six hours in the 'kota until the headwinds on the return trip.

I do exist and am still bummed we couldn't fly your 'kota together that day. Weather is so crazy in the UP of MI.

But you are right, they spent a lot more than five hours getting there.

Back