Flight to Russia

I wanted to do that trip back in 2002, but didn't have a plane I could use. Didn't know anyone that was going to hitch a ride either.

That trip had been done a couple times on the Dangerous Flights mini-series. All though the show is 90% drama and hype, the 10% insightfulness is worthwhile to check out.

On my first flight to Little Diomede Island, I got dangerously close to Russian airspace while looking for the ice runway. I never made it across to Russia though.

There was an ADF in Russia that was turned on only at certain times. It played old slow Russian music. The "DJ" sounded rather bored. I always pictured in my mind a large Russian fellow with a thick beard, wearing his large fur hat, using an old microphone like was used in the 30s, and a half empty bottle of Vodka sitting on the table next to the microphone.

Never made it over to Diomede, but I did consider doing a quick trip between the two in the Casa while flying out of Wales. Couldn't talk my captain into it though. Wimp!!

These seems like it would be a really fun route to fly - and this story needs about 500 more pictures!

It's VFR only. And Daylight only. And no overnights.

You gotta really hope that the weather forecast is accurate and that you can operate between 4500 and 10,000 feet that day, because otherwise you have to wonder how the hell you're getting home. . . .

On my first flight to Little Diomede Island, I got dangerously close to Russian airspace while looking for the ice runway. I never made it across to Russia though.

There was an ADF in Russia that was turned on only at certain times. It played old slow Russian music. The "DJ" sounded rather bored. I always pictured in my mind a large Russian fellow with a thick beard, wearing his large fur hat, using an old microphone like was used in the 30s, and a half empty bottle of Vodka sitting on the table next to the microphone.

Ha. One of the Flying Wild Alaska episodes made high drama out of getting close to Russian airspace flying to Little Diomede.

Ha. One of the Flying Wild Alaska episodes made high drama out of getting close to Russian airspace flying to Little Diomede.

I worked with the PIC before he went to that company the show was following. And yeah, that Tv show could really add high drama to mundane flights....pilot Roy appears to be walking to the outhouse. With the current weather, there may not be toilette paper inside...:lol::lol:

The problem with the Little Diomede is the runway is on the sea ice. It can and does change. It might be on the east side, then next week it is on the west side. Also it can be a little hard, uhhh, I mean difficult choosing which bare piece of ice is the current landing strip.

Last edited:
With this board ya might not wanna use the phrase "a little hard"....just sayin'

Billy, I'd like to buy you a beer or two and just listen to your stories.

I always pictured in my mind a large Russian fellow with a thick beard, wearing his large fur hat, using an old microphone like was used in the 30s, and a half empty bottle of Vodka sitting on the table next to the microphone.

Very descriptive picture.

The half-empty bottle would not have stayed that way.

I worked with the PIC before he went to that company the show was following. And yeah, that Tv show could really add high drama to mundane flights....pilot Roy appears to be walking to the outhouse. With the current weather, there may not be toilette paper inside...:lol::lol:

The problem with the Little Diomede is the runway is on the sea ice. It can and does change. It might be on the east side, then next week it is on the west side. Also it can be a little hard, uhhh, I mean difficult choosing which bare piece of ice is the current landing strip.

Sounds like fun!

Back