Flight to nowhere....

GBSoren

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GBSoren
Went up flying yesterday and my wife came along. Nowhere to go so we just buzzed around for about an hour. I don't do that often, even though I love to fly I prefer going to a destination, right now even if you go somewhere there is nothing to do once you get there. My wife took a few pictures, I'll admit that southern MN farm country isn't the most picturesque scenery this time of year! The snow is pretty much gone except for some in the trees yet. Fields have some water yet, but the forecast is pretty dry so the pot holes should go down soon, I doubt all the frost is out of the soil yet.

Anyway, here are a couple pictures. This one is a heart shaped pond in a field.
heart.jpg
My building site
Sorenson Seed.jpg

Looked like this west of Minnie on Saturday afternoon. But you can just see the green starting :) Gonna look so different in about 4wks.

Very nice.
I love going out and flying a "Drunkards Walk". Pick something interesting on the horizon and fly towards it. if something else shows up, go to that.
A lot of random course and altitude changes. I've spotted some really interesting things over the years.
If I'm in the Cub I will throw in the occasional wingover or spin to liven things up.

I’m a destination kind of guy. Our beach destination,26N has a great bakery, Dot’s, a few blocks away. Opened on Sunday. I’d normally fly down in am snd walk around and pick some up and come home. Now now. Real bummer. but I might now consider some trips to different places for some approaches only

I've got a plane reserved for tomorrow afternoon. No place in particular planned, but I know I'll do at least 3 take offs and landings to update the expiration date for currency. I need to call my CFI as my annual bi-annual flight review (club requirement) runs out in June. Sure hope we can fly together by then. The governor as extended the "safe at home" requirement to the end of May.

I almost always just go fly for fun I may have a destination like another airport or two or three in mind but often just go up and see the world from above. I have never really used a plane for travel as I haven't owned one until last year and it was always a hassle. Now I am itching even though it is only a 100-110 MPH simple VFR machine to actually go some places and with all this nonsense going on it will have to wait.

I’m a destination kind of guy. Our beach destination,26N has a great bakery, Dot’s, a few blocks away. Opened on Sunday. I’d normally fly down in am snd walk around and pick some up and come home. Now now. Real bummer. but I might now consider some trips to different places for some approaches only

Holy cow!
I’m from NJ, Dad grew up in Ocean City. Spent every summer there from my birth in 77 until the late 80s... Hard to believe Dot’s is still there.

You made my day with this one, beny!

How do you draw something like that? I’ve been wanting to do that. And by how I mean like how do you get it so symmetrical? Just plug coordinates into a GPS and fly it? Preflight it on like ForeFlight and import the fixes or is there some tool for this I don’t know??

How do you draw something like that? I’ve been wanting to do that. And by how I mean like how do you get it so symmetrical? Just plug coordinates into a GPS and fly it? Preflight it on like ForeFlight and import the fixes or is there some tool for this I don’t know??
I did it with foreflight, and there's no easy way that I know of.

With my name drawing flight I set a few user waypoints for each letter using Garmin Pilot then went out and flew around them. Since I have not yet found a function in GP to show live track on the map, I really had no idea how well it turned out until after I landed and looked at the logbook track.

This is what the waypoints looked like on the map:

Screenshot_20200429-134806_Pilot.jpg

Back