Flight Simulator Approval

Bob Zarum

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BobZ
I own a simulator that is an approved BATD by FAA. The approval is for 5 years (usual) and expires in 2021. I have had the device for years and it functions normally. The company that makes the simulator seems to be gone. I use the simulator to aid with instrument currency. Does the simulator become unusable for currency when the current FAA approval date comes or is that only for part 151 operations? It functions normally and has always. Is that approval date for the manufacturer or the user? I suppose this applies to many simulators out there. Does the manufacturer continue to have to exist and recertify for the older simulators to be used legally?

It is my understanding that you may not apply any BATD or AATD time towards currency or experience requirements without a valid LOA and QAG. If the manufacturer of your BATD does not extend the LOA after the expiration in 2021, you will no longer be able to use the time to satisfy currency or experience requirements. In the event the manufacturer does not seek an extension, the operator (you) of a previously approved device may apply for a new LOA for the device. AC 61-136B provides guidance on this.

Back