Flight school websites

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
So, most flight school websites totally suck, and don't tell you much of anything.

Ours certainly isn't perfect. But..I strive for it to be.

So tell me..what am I missing?

http://www.nebraskaflight.com/

On my list to do yet:
- Add a training syllabus and cost estimate for private and instrument.
- N734PG needs file downloads for weight and balance and checklist. This is our newest airplane so I'm still getting all of that made up.
- All of the aircraft need additional pictures.

What else?

Trying to get things as "perfect" as I can before next week.

We're throwing a grand opening party. I've sent postcards to every pilot within 25 miles and I've sent letters to every flight instructor within 25 miles (I need more instructors). The letters and postcards will hit mailboxes next week.

Interestingly enough that works out to 508 pilots and 69 flight instructors.

Biggest struggle has been trying to find the time to do all this. I allot three hours every night to website updates, marketing efforts, and billing.

Last edited:
I ditch the stock images looking flying kid pictures, it's got a stock image / daycare feel, maybe insert first solo pictures, or pictures of your school and aircraft.

I ditch the stock images looking flying kid pictures, it's got a stock image / daycare feel, maybe insert first solo pictures, or pictures of your school and aircraft.

Many of the pictures are of the aircraft. I don't have a lot of pictures to work with really. I'm taking them as the opportunities present themselves.

As to the picture selection, it's mostly to send the message of chasing your childhood dream...because basically every student I've ever had is doing just that.

We don't do much of any turn some kid into an airline pilot overnight stuff. Essentially all students are small business owners that have wanted to do it forever and we push them into making the decision to go after that dream.

I've been instructing for about 5 years but the Nebraska Flight brand, those airplanes, and that business entity have only been in serious existence for a couple of months.

Due to local airport political issues we don't have a location per say to take pictures of. We can operate out of a FBO, and don't do ground training there. Our use of the space is really limited to meeting students before the flight and short pre/post flight briefings. It's awkward but it's the best we can do until the opportunity arises to lease space.

Last edited:
Instructor rates.

A last updated date/time or a current blog. Honest, sometimes it's difficult to tell if a school is in business or the website's just been abandoned since 2013.

Instructor rates.

A last updated date/time or a current blog. Honest, sometimes it's difficult to tell if a school is in business or the website's just been abandoned since 2013.

I'll think about how to address the instruction rates. Part of it really depends on what happens with my efforts to find additional instructors.

I'm really not that interested in employing flight instructors. Instead we authorize instructors to teach in our aircraft and then after I talk with new students I set them up to meet a flight instructor. The student pays the instructor whatever rate the instructor charges and the student pays us for the airplane. Of course I do my due diligence to ensure that we're not sending people to instructors that don't do a damn good job.

We take 0% of the money that a student pays the instructor.

Really I enjoy instructing but at the end of the day I just don't have the time to personally keep three airplanes worth of students flying.

I love the idea of a blog, but I know I'm not really the kind of person that would ever keep it updated. So the downside to a blog is that there would be about one post a year and it would always look like we're dead.

I'm trying to be a little more active on the facebook side of things, as that's easier...

Thanks for the feedback. Lots to think about.

Last edited:
Jesse,
I think your website looks great!

Scott
OBXFlight

needs more bald eagles/ murca

bald-eagle.jpg

Looks really nice, good work; and you have a Sierra listed!

One small thing (and it's probably because I'm using Linux and/or have weird a weird setup, so maybe not worth messing with), but I had to go into the settings in Firefox and un-check the "Allow pages to choose their own fonts" option in order to make the specifications section comfortably readable for me.

V82Q1osh

n2Rk0Jca

Jesse, let me be the curmudgeon here (sigh, as usual)
First, the website looks good.
I agree with more eagles and 'murica'
However (always is one of those, isn't there) I disagree with posting a listing of fees, estimated cost to license
(ya, ya, I know it is not a license)
The one thing retailers of high end goods quickly learn is that you are not in a discount days price competition with Piggly Wiggly over a gallon of milk. If you want to know the price, ya gotta come in the store. The Mercedes/Lamborghini dealers do not post prices on the sign out front for good reasons.
Get more pictures of first solos, first long XC, first night solo (night shots make great photos if you know what you are doing) cutting off the shirt tails, etc.
And of buxom ladies and handsome guys hanging on your words of wisdom as you show them the cockpit.
Sell the sizzle -Sell the steak - first.
The bill for the meal comes later.

Good luck - and I always get a thrill out of watching young fellas make a small fortune in the airplane business ;)

dr. o
older than dirt

Under location. I don't know how to get there by car. And if people are coming for flight training, well, they probably aren't flying in.

Is there a way to compare the three aircraft side by side by side? Why would I want to fly one vs the others? Or v are all three basically the same... Not a Cessna fan.

2 have a 430W, one has a 696.

They are all pretty much the same.

Ok, opposite opinion, I like it. It appeals to that little child in all of us that always wanted to learn to fly.

I can't get past the intro page other than the party page on my machine here at work. When I refresh I see that there are some menus but they disappear quickly.

Under location. I don't know how to get there by car. And if people are coming for flight training, well, they probably aren't flying in.
Well, the customers are local but they probably don't know either.

The initial customer won't know how to read the taxi diagram posted until after at least a couple of lessons. Since you are based at KLNK, some customers won't know that GA is separated from the commercial terminal.

I suggest using another map with roads. Also directions from I-80 and/or NW 12th street would be helpful.

The picture on your home page is Ok. Never mind the "it is stock" comments; most properly licensed images used in marketing are stock. It captures the magic of flight, the dream of flight. I don't know how well that message works in today's world, and maybe that's what the previous comments about that photo are trying to convey. Another possible message is to capture the uniqueness of a person being able to fly. Not many of us can, even in the USA (I'm talking about the population as a whole, not people on this board, obviously).

Later on, I wonder, in this world of "selfies", if customers would like an image of themselves flying the plane, taken by an instructor during an appropriate time. Post the photo on your site and show them how to link to their FB page.

I only just now read your reply about the photo on the main page earlier in this thread, and it seems to me that you captured the message you said you wanted to send.

Like the pics of 4PG, nice, warm, sunny pics that make the plane look really good. The pics of the other two are in the shade and make them look dark and dingy.

When you get a chance get some good pics of the other planes in good early morning or late afternoon sunlight to make them more appealing.

Maybe add panel shots of each plane?

And as EdFred says, give driving directions to the school. Maybe imbed some google maps or something as well to show where you are.

The website is good. Here is some of my feedback.

Location - Directions by car and other amenities nearby.
You ask a question on the homepage that is never answered anywhere on the site. I would either include why I should no longer wait for learning to fly or choose you for pursuing that goal. This can be done on the homepage or make it part of the blog entries mentioned above.

I must be getting older. I want a left or top nav.
and it should be there by default.

No reason to add a click for a user to get a menu

Testimonial/interview videos of current and former students? Anyone in video production owe you any favors?

You have aircraft info and rental rates, so you've topped 90% of FBO web sites i've seen. I'm usually digging trying to figure out if they have training or not.

As far as instructor rates and total estimates, you could address that in a FAQ page perhaps.
Q: how much does it cost to complete
A: It varies, average student requires X hours to complete. (let them do the math).

Or on the rental rate quotes add (not including instructor rate) or (plus instructor rate) just to let them know that its there.

I think the pictures are good. I think POA members tend to forget what its like to not know anything about flying. How do you take a picture of a long XC? Would any non-pilot know what is happening in a picture of a guy getting his shirt tail cut? I think not.

I agree, better map for the layman would be google map with roads.

The smartphone generation will probably find your menu on the top right corner, everyone else, maybe, maybe not. It may be a glitch, but I did have the menu across the whole top but now it seems to pop in and dissappear leaving only the top right corner popout menu. (Chrome)

Great idea on the downloads on the rental page, maybe expand that if you think of any more 'handouts' that will be useful to students.

I think you're on the right track, good luck with your business.

Website looks great.

Regarding the prices - I would post the hourly rates for the aircraft. Already licensed pilots want to know the rates up front.

For cost of flight training, you might break it down into a per month cost? Just a thought. "Flight training is at your own pace, but an average student spends between $400-800 per month and takes between 7-14 months to complete their private pilot training"

Regarding hourly rates for newbies, most people hear $120/hr and might freak. But you could post an example for a trip.. with the cost divided per person. So a flight to kansas city would take 1.75 hours, cost about 150 bucks per person for 3 people.

I must be getting older. I want a left or top nav.
and it should be there by default.

No reason to add a click for a user to get a menu

That might be a glitch, i see it popping in and out when changing pages.

Personal preference-wise, as a user, I dislike it when a site creates a horizontal scrollbar at 1024px width. I find it annoying because I usually have multiple windows open at 1024, and when one demands more, I find it so annoying that if I'm a first-time visitor, I'm likely to click out of it.

Yes, screen resolutions and sizes have increased, but the benefit of that is diminished when every window wants to grow to fill it.

SEO-wise, your page titles could bear improvement. They're not horrible. I'd use the pipe as a separator rather than the dashes and add a more precise location (the city and/or airport codes).

Your description tags (at least some of them) are completely missing, which is a cardinal sin. That'll kill your search rankings. The description tags need to accurately summarize a page in a way that corresponds as closely as possible to the way people search for your service, without being spammy. for example:

Code:
meta name="description" content="Nebraska Flight, a flight school in Lincoln, Nebraska operating out of KLNK"
You also need the keywords metas. They're pretty much ignored except for abuse, but they should still be there. Some search engines and directories still use them, but they're also a source of penalties if they're "spammed." I usually include the tag and just use the three or four most relevant keywords, making sure that they appear in the page content. That seems to keep everyone happy. So possibly:

Code:
meta name="keywords" content="flight, instruction, lincoln, nebraska, klnk"
Your ALT tags could use a lot of work, too. This one requires great sensitivity. It's very valuable SEO-wise, but is also a good way to be penalized. Here's why.

The ALT tag's purpose is to provide input to screen readers for the blind which describe the images for them. The tags are factored into rankings by the algos, so they do have SEO value. But they also are frequently abused by SEO whores, which is considered a serious enough offense by search engines that it can get a site delisted if it's caught on manual review (and rightfully so).

I've found that the best way to craft ALT tags is to remember their primary purpose and write them thoughtfully, making sure that they accurately and helpfully describe the image for the blind. If within that primary context you can include wording that SEO-relevant and improves the tag's usefulness for the blind, then do so. If not, then don't. Spamming the blind for SEO purposes, aside from being a scummy thing to do, can easily get your site penalized or delisted on manual review.

Good ALT tags can still have SEO value, however. I aim for object, description, context, and reason for relevance when writing an ALT tag, all of which are parts of what make an ALT tag useful, but also are things that have SEO value.

In your case, you have pictures of airplanes, and presumably you will be adding more. You can improve your site's SEO and make it more useful to the blind by writing good ALT tags that provide object, description, context, and reason for relevance.

For example, let's suppose you have a picture of a Cessna 172 that you use for flight instruction. The most basic ALT tag you could use would be

Code:
alt="An airplane"
Perfectly factual, but not sufficient. It's lazy coding that insults the blind. A slightly better one would be

Code:
alt="A small, single-engine airplane"
That would fulfill the most rudimentary requirements as far as the blind are concerned. It's still lazy and not especially helpful, but it's barely adequate.

A much better description that would also help SEO-wise without moving into spam territory might be:

Code:
alt="A Cessna 172, which is a small, single-engine airplane, parked outside its hangar at a Nebraska flight school."
That's an excellent ALT tag. It provides the object, description, context, and reason for relevance in a way that is helpful, not spammy, and will easily pass manual review. The tag tells a blind visitor that the object in the image:

• Is an airplane, the most basic information, and that it is a Cessna 172, for those who may know about airplanes. Blind people can be airplane buffs, some blind people were once sighted people, and some blind people are seeking flight instruction for their sighted children;
  • Is a small, single-engine airplane, for those who are not familiar with the model (description);
  • Is in front of a hangar (context); and
  • That it is used by a flight school (relevance).

SEO-wise, the tag also has a lot of value. It tells search engines that a Cessna 172 is available for flight instruction in Nebraska. Combined with the rest of the information on the page, that will help you in searches for flight instruction as well as those who especially want to learn in or rent a Cessna 172.

A bad ALT tag would be

Code:
alt="A Cessna 172, which is a small, single-engine airplane,  parked outside its hangar at Nebraska Flight, the gosh-darned best flight school in America."
That tag moves into spam territory and will get you penalized if you're caught.

Other than that, beef up the content a bit. Good content is the most important thing for both users and robots. But I'm sure you're working on that. The site is still new.

Rich

Last edited:
hey...I use that same template from SquareSpace.
Looks great.

One thing to think about: My flight school had pics of the panel of each rental. It was nice for me to see the avionics when deciding which plane I should rent.

you could have a "resources" tab. It could include links like:
NOAA weather for your area
AOPA
EAA
training aids (video to e6b use, etc.)
flight plan log or PDF
liability forms
etc.

I'd suggest (for SEO reasons) you have a "blog" type page. Google algorithms like fresh content, and blogs are an easy way to keep new content posted. Posting on FB ony helps FB. Better yet, post on your "blog" and FB.

Last edited:
also, where you list the hourly price for rental ($120/hr) you might want to put wet or dry. (never mind....I read in the text above it includes oil and fuel)

Last edited:
An information section for prospective disabled pilots? Bring your own flight gear? Headsets available?

SEO-wise, your page titles could bear improvement. They're not horrible. I'd use the pipe as a separator rather than the dashes and add a more precise location (the city and/or airport codes).

Rich

SEO hasn't worked based solely on content in years. You can optimize all you want, but unless your site is considered relevant with Pagerank, you won't get high in results.
Best "SEO" routine nowadays is cross-linking from multiple sites. That makes Pagerank think your site is relevant. The fact that the site is done with Weebly or similar lowers it already, unless it has many references from other sites.

The link from this forum very likely helps more than the alt optimizations.

To Jesse, have you thought about doing longer term dry rental deals for customers? Something like 30-day 50-hour dry leases? There is a massive market solely grabbed by a few renters in FL at the moment, who rent crappy C150's for $50/hr dry and make a killing with them...

Also, as others have mentioned, there isn't much about flight training in there. Perhaps add a few words about how quickly it is possible to do if you are committed, and how fun it is just to slowly take lessons every now and then.

And I would find another quote for the front page - that LdV quote is such a cliché.

Last edited:
Jesse - make yourself a student for a moment....what do you need/want to know?

For me, when I first started, it was:

1. How expensive is this going to be?
2. How do I even get started? I'm not allowed to just go to the airport without a ticket, right?
3. Oh, there's a flight school at the airport??...where do I park? How do I get there? Do I have to call someone when I arrive so they can let me in?
4. What should I know before coming? Am I expected to know any terminology? Should I bring anything to my first lesson besides money?

If you can answer those questions, you are way ahead of every other flight school, and you would have made me a happy new student :)

SEO hasn't worked based solely on content in years. You can optimize all you want, but unless your site is considered relevant with Pagerank, you won't get high in results.
Best "SEO" routine nowadays is cross-linking from multiple sites. That makes Pagerank think your site is relevant. The fact that the site is done with Weebly or similar lowers it already, unless it has many references from other sites.

You really need to make the acquaintance of Panda, Penguin, and Hummingbird before providing SEO advice that can get get people's sites penalized or delisted.

Rich

I like it, nice and simple. Quite a few of the recommendations have already been noted by Jesse as "still left to do" items.

I know a lot of peeps video their flights, and plenty have video'd their training flights as well, like I did. I'd be happy to send a quick clip or two to you if you want to include them on a page....not these long boring vids of flying straight and level but maybe one doing a steep turn or stall...something that shows a student having fun but in a quick 10-30 second video clip. dunno, just a suggestion. doesn't matter that they aren't vids of your planes or instructors, students/new peeps won't know the difference.

Jesse - make yourself a student for a moment....what do you need/want to know?

For me, when I first started, it was:

1. How expensive is this going to be?
2. How do I even get started? I'm not allowed to just go to the airport without a ticket, right?
3. Oh, there's a flight school at the airport??...where do I park? How do I get there? Do I have to call someone when I arrive so they can let me in?
4. What should I know before coming? Am I expected to know any terminology? Should I bring anything to my first lesson besides money?

If you can answer those questions, you are way ahead of every other flight school, and you would have made me a happy new student :)

I like this list. Most places do not have this information. And most people think airports, are impenetrable fortresses of security. They have no idea how easy it is to get in/out of airports. Everyone thinks you need a clearance and that you'll be waiting in line behind 10 other aircraft to take off/land

You really need to make the acquaintance of Panda, Penguin, and Hummingbird before providing SEO advice that can get get people's sites penalized or delisted.

Rich

Yes, with Hummingbird and other content-searching algorithms old tricks like using | instead of , won't work anymore.
The alt tricks, | separators etc will give you google penalty, not cross linking as long as its not trolling.
What you need for good "SEO" (which is not a correct word anymore anyway because of individual search results), is "conversational" content with many cross links from other sites.
No-one is suggesting any black hat SEO stuff, but the alt "optimization" is so 2005...

His site doesn't really have issues with Penguin/panda etc penalties because it has hardly any ads. Long alt/metatags will cause problems with them.

Weebly and such ends up publishing websites with sub-optimal below/above-the-fold content. Stuff like this matters, not just alt/metacontent hacking.

Yes, with Hummingbird and other content-searching algorithms old tricks like using | instead of , won't work anymore.
The alt tricks, | separators etc will give you google penalty, not cross linking as long as its not trolling.
What you need for good "SEO" (which is not a correct word anymore anyway because of individual search results), is "conversational" content with many cross links from other sites.
No-one is suggesting any black hat SEO stuff, but the alt "optimization" is so 2005...

His site doesn't really have issues with Penguin/panda etc penalties because it has hardly any ads. Long alt/metatags will cause problems with them.

Weebly and such ends up publishing websites with sub-optimal below/above-the-fold content. Stuff like this matters, not just alt/metacontent hacking.

Clearly you didn't read the articles, and still do not understand how Panda, Penguin and Hummingbird changed the face of SEO.

Pretty much, tricks like cross-linking are dead. Best bet at this point is to stop trying to "trick" the system, and just focus on good content that is well placed and presented, and then rely on natural links back to your content.

I don't know how obvious this would be to other pilots, but mention that the instructors do flight reviews too.

Also list the types of certification upgrades your instructors can do- IFR? Commercial?

Maybe describing how to get back into flying if one has been away for some time?

How does the web site look on a tablet? Phone? I do most of my web browsing on a tablet now.

Back