Flight School policies

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Pulled from another thread...

Down the pike, I'll be doing some begging of a few of our customers to do leasebacks, particularly with a high performance, complex aircraft. But, it would likely be mandatory dual; no solo flight.

I know that last requirement might not be favorable to many folks on here but insurance companies run the flight schools these days. That requirement could cut down liability premiums drastically while still providing the required equipment to students. It would almost be cheaper to pay for the CFI on board than fly it solo.

Don't sell yourself short here - Yes, the insurance companies make a lot of rules, but those rules CAN be made to fit your situation, and frankly, a lot of stuff that FBO's blame on insurance doesn't actually have anything to do with their insurance policy, they just don't want to have to defend their lame rental policies.

Case in point: Wisconsin Aviation. (MSN, RYV, and UNU.) Their entire rental line is available for solo with the required hourly minimums and they have several HP/complex types (Dakota, Arrow, Seneca, Aztec). They also allow landings on grass, and aside from the standard "must have flown one of our planes in the last 90 days" policy, they don't place any restrictions on the pilot beyond the FAR's. Oh, and the best part? The renter is covered as named insured, and is only responsible for the deductible which IIRC is $1200 for fixed gear and $1800 for retracts and twins. Oh, and their rental rates are mostly reasonable - A 172N currently goes for around $89 wet, including fuel surcharge (Base rate is $69, fuel surcharge right now is in the $18-20 range). The Arrow is somewhere in the $120 range. They even have an SR22 at RYV for $235.

Now, they do have two things going for them: A large fleet and their own maintenance shop (ie, repairs are cheaper as long as the accident happens at home!) so if you're working for a small school without a shop it'll be more difficult. But, if you let the insurance companies know you want reasonable rates and terms and that you're not going to let them walk all over you, they should be willing to work with you to develop reasonable practices that will still allow dual.

Another thing that leads me to believe the insurance companies aren't really dictating things as strictly as the FBO's would like you to believe: I've been at a couple of places where the right people can waive even the hourly minimums that they state - For instance at Wisconsin Aviation, the president, the GM, and the flight school manager all have the power to waive their minimums (for instance, the mins on the Dakota are 150TT and 5 in type as well as the appropriate endorsement - I was allowed to rent the Dakota with less than 150TT). At another flight school in Florida they wanted 5-10 hours in their new G1000 182, but since I had 50 hours in 182's and I was familiar with the G1000 (even though I'd only flown it in the DA40 and on simulators) they let me rent it after a standard 1.1 hour checkout flight.

Something that would be a good starting point is something more like what I experienced at LNA when I rented a 172 there. I read through their rental agreement and nearly every normal restriction (such as landing on grass) was there, but pretty much every one of them ended with an exception like "Unless the Renter has had dual instruction on a grass field and has landed on grass in the past 90 days." That should satisfy the insurance company, but also allow you to do the right thing for your customers. Even if they like ya, they'd like to fly without you in the right seat sometimes! Plus, a nice HP/complex bird is something that people want to use for long trips, and nobody wants to pay a CFI to sit in a hotel somewhere and pay them for all the flight time and have to leave one of their family members at home so the CFI can ride along.

Good luck! :yes:

An Arrow may be complex, but it isn't HP. Ditto Seneca I's.

That said, if you want to put a complex HP aircraft on the line, you'd do well to examine both the costs of solo vs dual-only and the potential revenues from the users. If the plane would be used pretty much only for HP complex training, then dual only may be the right way to go, especially if you can show the additional insurance cost to allow non-dual flight would run the per-hour price up above the rate for dual-only. OTOH, if the principal interest is XC flying by qualified pilots, you may find the extra hours flown may spread the extra insurance cost thin enough that it's worth it to go that route.

In any event, the decision can be made properly only with a lot of market research and talks with your insurance professional.

An Arrow may be complex, but it isn't HP. Ditto Seneca I's.

Right - But I didn't say they were all both. Dakota isn't complex either, and it is a Seneca II. (200hp at sea level, but 215 up higher... An interesting little detail!)

In any event, the decision can be made properly only with a lot of market research and talks with your insurance professional.

Bingo...

I'd add that most people probably won't pursue the Complex/HP endorsements if there is no opportunity for them to rent a complex/HP plane afterwards. So, allowing renting will not only gain you additional rental-only hours, it'll gain additional dual hours. :yes:

That said, if you want to put a complex HP aircraft on the line, you'd do well to examine both the costs of solo vs dual-only and the potential revenues from the users. If the plane would be used pretty much only for HP complex training, then dual only may be the right way to go, especially if you can show the additional insurance cost to allow non-dual flight would run the per-hour price up above the rate for dual-only.
I ran into this situation with the Super-D I was renting for acro training. The owner/CFI formerly would let people solo it but he dropped the insurance coverage when it became something like $2,000 per year in excess of what he would pay for dual only. He said he didn't have enough customers who wanted to solo the airplane to justify it and I can understand that.

I ran into this situation with the Super-D I was renting for acro training. The owner/CFI formerly would let people solo it but he dropped the insurance coverage when it became something like $2,000 per year in excess of what he would pay for dual only. He said he didn't have enough customers who wanted to solo the airplane to justify it and I can understand that.

...and I can understand that not a whole lot of people are going to want to rent a Super D without a CFI - It's not a go-places airplane, it's a fun airplane and to have that kind of fun safely requires a lot of... wait for it... instruction. :)

A nice HP/Complex traveling bird, on the other hand, should be in fairly high demand for pilots taking families on trips and should generate enough hours (eventually, once enough pilots are checked out in it!) to justify a fair amount for insurance.

What I have noticed is that it seems like the more restrictive the flight school is on their renters, the less people fly. At Madison, I see all kinds of people flying on their own, going out for $100 burgers, taking friends up, etc... Whereas, where I used to work is a good example of the opposite. I'd see people take their private checkride and I'd never see them again. They checked the box on their life list and considered themselves done with flying, I think... Not good for GA. :no: :(

When talking about ownership decisions I see a lot of advice about "buy a model that will satisfy xx% of your missions, you can always rent when you need a bigger/faster/sexier plane to take your family/friends somewhere."

I've never lived anywhere close to where you could rent anything larger or faster than a 172 or equivalent for solo. Period. Are they truly out there?

What I have noticed is that it seems like the more restrictive the flight school is on their renters, the less people fly.
This is true too, and I have another insurance story. I got my multi in a Duchess at a flying club and rented it for a number of hours afterwards. Then they came up with a change in the insurance requirements where they wanted a minimum of 50 multi to solo it. It didn't matter that I had already soloed it with 10 multi or whatever I had taken to get the rating. I had even taken it to Aspen as I recall. At that point I had maybe 20 multi and there was no way I was going to pay them for 30 more hours of dual so I could solo it again. I ended up leaving that club pretty much immediately. I don't think I flew a twin again for a number of years until my boss at the mapping company decided to let me get checked out in the C-320. In case anyone thinks tightening up of insurance and rental requirements is a recent phenomenon, this took place back in the late 1980s.

Oh, and their rental rates are mostly reasonable - A 172N currently goes for around $89 wet, including fuel surcharge (Base rate is $69, fuel surcharge right now is in the $18-20 range). The Arrow is somewhere in the $120 range. They even have an SR22 at RYV for $235.

Now, they do have two things going for them: A large fleet and their own maintenance shop (ie, repairs are cheaper as long as the accident happens at home!) so if you're working for a small school without a shop it'll be more difficult.

Let's make that three things going for them... you forgot one. WI Aviation is also an FBO with its own fuel, thus cheaper rental rates than schools who aren't so lucky.

When talking about ownership decisions I see a lot of advice about "buy a model that will satisfy xx% of your missions, you can always rent when you need a bigger/faster/sexier plane to take your family/friends somewhere."

I've never lived anywhere close to where you could rent anything larger or faster than a 172 or equivalent for solo. Period. Are they truly out there?

You have to look but one of the FBO's in my area has a 182RG available. I checked out in it for the HP endorsement and to prove to myself that a 172RG met my requirements before I purchased one.

On the percentage I don't buy that. My thought was what are the performance requirements for the things I AM REALLY going to do with the plane. Then which aircraft performs best meets those for those requirements.

There's a couple of FBO's near me that have hi perf aircraft for rent. One has a couple of Bo's in addition to 182's, a Cherokee 6, and a 337. Another has a Grumman Cougar and a 172RG. Still another also has a C172RG. There's a C177RG available, too. I use to rent a C210 routinely from another outfit, until it met its demise with a hole in side of the engine (a recently re-built engine, no less).

There's a couple of FBO's near me that have hi perf aircraft for rent. One has a couple of Bo's in addition to 182's, a Cherokee 6, and a 337. Another has a Grumman Cougar and a 172RG. Still another also has a C172RG. There's a C177RG available, too. I use to rent a C210 routinely from another outfit, until it met its demise with a hole in side of the engine (a recently re-built engine, no less).

I agree; it's an "FBO-Thing". They either have only trainers, or they they have a wide variety of planes including twins and singles that will seat more than six... I guess it depends on if their focus is training or renting. In most major metroplex areas you can find at least one FBO that has a good selection of "higher end" planes.

A nice HP/Complex traveling bird, on the other hand, should be in fairly high demand for pilots taking families on trips and should generate enough hours (eventually, once enough pilots are checked out in it!) to justify a fair amount for insurance.
The problem is that too many "families on trips" want to take the plane maybe two hours away, keep it three days, and fly two hours back, especially over the weekend when training demand (which pushes up the overall utilization rate) is high. If you put a large enough minimum hours per day restriction to make the utilization right, nobody wants to pay for that many hours just to go 250-300 miles each way over a long weekend. It's a dilemma for sure.

I see that on "trainer" planes often.

Less so on high performance aircraft for rent, which are often priced out of the student budget range.

And my experience has been the daily minimum is often negotiable, especially in the off season.

The problem is that too many "families on trips" want to take the plane maybe two hours away, keep it three days, and fly two hours back, especially over the weekend when training demand (which pushes up the overall utilization rate) is high. If you put a large enough minimum hours per day restriction to make the utilization right, nobody wants to pay for that many hours just to go 250-300 miles each way over a long weekend. It's a dilemma for sure.

I rent a 210. Does that qualify?:yes:

Hard to imagine paying to rent a complex/HP then not being able to fly it except dual, ever. That is extreme. However, I don't doubt the posters who have seen it. The only such restrictions I've seen in clubs/schools/FBOs over the yr. in my area is for twins. Since the mid 80s, it seems the required previous hours of multi and/or make/model have risen. One club I was in had several twins, Duchess and 310. They went from a min. number of make/model hours [think it was ten] or having trained in the make/model [the club's exact plane, matter of fact], to wanting 50 hr. multi PIC, then they increased that to 150 hr. [!!!] multi. to rent a twin solo. That meant that the only renters for the planes were people working on the rating(s). Leaseback $$$ dropped thru the floor. After a while, the policy was changed back to something much more reasonable. They also had a severely restrictive wind policy. I believe it was no solo for students in more than 10 knts. [not crosswind, either, just 10 kts.] plus nothing over 25 knts. for Private and better. Thing is, our area sees winds higher than that more days a week than not. Guess what happened if you returned from a flight, whether x-co or to the practice area or sight-seeing or whatever, and the winds had gone to 11 kts at home base??? Well, the rule was, you go somewhere else and land, get a ride home and retrieve the plane when the winds lessened. That was so beyond absurd. It went on for at least a year, maybe longer, I don't really remember. At some point, they allowed certain people to fly in more than 25 [I was one of them, but I don't recall how they came to determine it]. [Try soloing a student in a place where the winds are usually above 10....]

Their pat excuse for these and a couple other restrictive rules was that "the insurance co. demanded it." This cut off a lot of argument; what is one to do, it's the insurance.... Eventually, while dealing with an insurance adjuster about a claim on a leaseback I had, I jumped on the guy pretty hard about the ridiculous restrictions after he told me about a flight he'd just taken in the mntns, landing at a small strip in 40 kts of wind. He looked at me puzzled, said his co. had zero restrictions on us. Management then admitted they had been lying all that time [well, they didn't use that term]. The wind policy did moderate some. Of course, the bottom line is a business can set any policies they want and if they lie about why, then they just do.

Last edited:
There are at least two very nice Bonanzas for rent at my home base (not counting the three Bonanzas in the flying club, as well as the Cardinal RG in the club).

Let's make that three things going for them... you forgot one. WI Aviation is also an FBO with its own fuel, thus cheaper rental rates than schools who aren't so lucky.

I was speaking about the insurance rates. However, you are certainly correct.

Several here... Rental requirements off the top of my head:

Arrow: Complex, 150 TT, 5 in type
Dakota: HP, 150 TT, 5 in type
Seneca: 700TT or 100 multi, 25 in type

At RYV, they had a Lance until someone crashed it in December. :( That one required HP/Complex, 250TT, 5 or 10 in type.

RYV still has a Cirrus SR22 (requires going through their Cirrus course, about 11-15 hours) as well as an Arrow and a Seneca with the same requirements as above.

UGN has a pair of TwinStars. They used to require 500TT, IR, 5 in type. Now it's only 200TT but 15 in type.

MWC has a Duchess and a 172RG.

Heck, these are all within 100nm of me, and just off the top of my head, and only the ones I knew about in the first place. They're out there... Find 'em and fly 'em! :yes:

Find 'em, and fly 'em!

The school at which I learned to fly in North Carolina has several HP/complex aircraft available, and had I continued to fly there much beyond my PPL (I didn't only because I moved to WI), I would have done that.

http://www.flycarolina.com/acrental/fleet.asp

When we had the Cougar on leaseback, the insurance company wanted 750TT and either 50 ME/5 Cougar or 25 Cougar, but that was almost 10 years ago -- dunno what they'd want today.

Our club has a 182 and an Arrow. No restrictions on the 182 that I recall (just need your HP endorsement). The Arrow requires:

100 hrs TT
10 hours dual if no previous logged Arrow time
Must fly at least 3 hours in a 180 day period, or get signed off by a CFI again. That 3 hours is in make/model, not just our plane.
Complex endorsement

I hit 10 hours dual at the same time as I hit 100 hours TT (by coincidence). Now I need the signoff again as I haven't flow it since last July.

The FBO (http://www.inter-stateaviation.com/ISA/Home.aspx0 at PUW has a pair of 182s for rent (I've flown one of them) and they used to have a 206, as well, but I don't see it today on their website. They've also got an Arrow. They do need to update their web site, however. All their planes are listed as 100 hp (including the 172s and 182s) and the Arrow is listed as fixed gear. :hairraise:

Back