Flight school instructor charge vs instructor pay

U

Unregistered

Hello, sorry for posting in the Lessons Learned, although I suppose if I'm getting a raw deal then it would indeed be a lesson learned for me.

I am a CFI associated with a small part 61 FBO/flight school operation. I am a part-time instructor and am treated as an independent contractor. (I have checked the IRS rules on ICs and as far as I can tell I meet all of them - and I'm happy with that arrangement.)

I am wondering if our school is more or less in-line with others, since I only have experience with one other school, and I was an employee there.

Essentially I have two questions:

1. What is a typical ratio of what students pay the school for instruction vs. how much the instructor gets paid? Obviously the actual amounts will vary by location but what's a general ratio out there for independent-contractor CFIs? They charge $40 an hour, I get paid $25 an hour. Is this a normal differential?

2. What does the school provide for this differential? Working independently as I do sometimes, I can easily charge and get $40 an hour that all comes to me. Of course, out of that comes any costs for materials, taxes, and insurance. But at my last flight school, we had computers available with training and test prep software, ground school slides, syllabi and other documents, a library with various training references, a classroom with such things as a giant E-6B, whiteboards, PCATDs and other useful things to allow us to train effectively, so we were getting something for that differential. At my current flight school there isn't much - there is a classroom with a whiteboard, but no computers or other training materials unless you bring your own. As far as that goes, it's not much different than when I work independently with an aircraft owner - I have to generate and bring all the training materials I might need. So what am I getting for that differential in cost other than some marketing (and not always that, I've found about half of my own students)? Is it all for insurance, or am I essentially paying the school $15 per hour for the right to give instruction in their airplanes?

Obviously all of this varies by flight school and specific circumstances, so I'm not looking for comments about my specific scenario. Rather, I'd be interested to know what other CFIs experience at their flight schools.

Thanks!

I'm running a small flight school in my free-time right now that started up in December. Just one airplane right now but that will likely change.

Our model is pretty simple. Instructors bill the students directly for whatever they want to charge and keep 100% of the money. The student pays for the airplane and instructor separately.

The $25 out of $40 is not out of line based on my experience. What they provide is a facility, marketing, some level of liability insurance while giving you most of the money.

40 and you keep 25, not shabby.

I billed my guys out at 50 and they took 25 home, all cash though.

As for teaching supplies, that's more for you, honestly I've used my iPhone as a mock airplane, flap, wing, runway, so many times I lost track and all my students did just fine, I also didn't sit them down in front of a computer, I gave them the king videos on a USB drive, told them to buy dauntless or Shepard test prep a FAR and chart etc and sit down and study at home. I also never really used a white board, I preferred a clipboard with paper, I'd rather have a sit down then take a lecturing stance, if that makes sense.

As for marketing and brining in students.... That's a diffrent story. That is NOT your responsibility and if the school can't keep you busy without you needing to market THEIR school, F' em! If you market and bring in a student you should freelance that student, work out a deal with the school for rental of their plane and charge the guy the same rate as the school and keep all of it. The fact that you need to market is a REALLY bad sign IMO.

That's not bad. When I left instructing it was $56/hr and I got $20. Didn't matter whether it was ground or flight time. I had the freedom to charge the time amount I felt was fair on ground instruction.

James, we had random instructors try to freelance in our airplanes. Long story short, that's not going to happen since schools frown upon it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that was illegal.

Last edited:
When I was living in SoCal I had freelance status with two diffrent flight schools, had access to everything from a citabria to arrows.

Guess they figured better to get the rental money and a future rental pilot (and whatever pilot supplies they can sell) vs nada.

That's not bad. When I left instructing it was $56/hr and I got $20. Didn't matter whether it was ground or flight time. I had the freedom to charge the time amount I felt was fair on ground instruction.

James, we had random instructors try to freelance in our airplanes. Long story short, that's not going to happen since schools frown upon it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that was illegal.

Nothing illegal about it other than it being against the rental agreement whomever rented the airplane from you signed assuming the rental agreement prohibited it.

Big problem is insurance. I've got no problems with someone instructing in our 172 but they have to be approved by insurance and on the policy. Max 4 instructors.

Yup, I paid my instructor direct, $30/hr. I rented the aircraft through the FBO, and I believe he covered his own insurance. I don't believe he made any money from the FBO, or paid anything to them. They got the benefit of increased rentals and pilot supplies being sold.

Last edited:
For $15/hour, you get a pipeline of students, access to rentable airplanes, insurance (presumably) and a climate controlled office with a table, potty, etc. Actually not a bad deal, considering.

Its nice to get 100% of the instructional charges, but 63% isn't bad, and certainly within the realm of reason.

Here's and idea..... Buy a C152' insurance and a tie down spot. Make a killing on it all and laugh all the way to the bank. There are two guys round these parts that did just that. What's funny is an 18 year old kid bought the plane from him that he trained in and he retired!

Where I trained initially I always paid instructors direct, the school didn't touch it. Facilities and overhead were as you describe except they did install a DUATs terminal computer. The $25 of $40 split isn't the worst I've heard of. I have seen students charged $60 and instructors get $18 before. That place was a pretty serious 141 facilities with high overhead and nice, well equipped facilities. They also went out of business.

If you think you are being treated unfairly, especially when you are bringing business in the door, you can either negotiate his cut of your money, or, he can assign you a cut of the airplane/other money from the students you bring to the table.

I paid my CFI $20 an hour, but I paid him for total time with me to include ground and debrief stuff. After a bit I bumped it to $25 because he was driving a ways. The CFI I used at one FBO charged $40/hr flight time and gave them $20. The other FBO where I finished up charged I think $45/hr flight time and gave it all to the instructors.

I'd say $25 is about average pay for a flight instructor contracting at a garden variety flight school. One point, though - don't assume that you have any insurance in that deal. The flight school? Yes, they have insurance. But you are likely naked in that regard unless you have your own. If you don't have any assets then it probably doesn't matter. But if you do, you're taking on some risk, possibly substantial.

Here's and idea..... Buy a C152' insurance and a tie down spot. Make a killing on it all and laugh all the way to the bank. There are two guys round these parts that did just that. What's funny is an 18 year old kid bought the plane from him that he trained in and he retired!

Buy a plane and make a killing.... Well, between the FBO, your insurance company, and your mechanic, and finally you; you might be able to split up a killing!

Buy a plane and make a killing.... Well, between the FBO, your insurance company, and your mechanic, and finally you; you might be able to split up a killing!

You don't need all that though. You can rent it independently and collect it all, especially if you are an A&P IA. 150/152s are always money makers if you try. Even with a good relationship with an independent A&P IA can still make it work. It all depends on if there is a busy market.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back