flight safety and passengers

Mxfarm

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Marc
@ what point do you question taking a flight, if you as the pilot have concerns a passenger could cause a disruption or diversion during the flight? And not talking drunk, high or the like. Just someone who's comfort level w/flying is very low. And no, I do not want to have to hurt them to stay safe.:)

marc

I do have a list of pax (and potential pax) who I trust, know can handle flight in the front, and who have behaved on previous flights. For me, ones behavior and attitude outside the cockpit matters just as much as behavior inside. I have a buddy who - if he ever flies with me - is riding in the back. I'll just leave it at that.

For new pax, I typically bring them only when conditions are perfect and the mission is simple. That allows me to abort and not be too disruptive.

if I made it through a flight with @Bill in the right seat I can pretty much fly with any hooligan. unfortunately for me I don't know enough people to have a "list" :cool:

For new pax, I typically bring them only when conditions are perfect and the mission is simple. That allows me to abort and not be too disruptive.
This.

There are some signals. So far, I haven't run into anyone who wasn't honest about their concerns. For those who want to go up for a first time, like @kaiser, it's going to be a short trip on a perfect day. And those whose comfort level is "very low," for the most part, they really don't want to go and I'm not going to talk them into it.

"for the most part." I had a friend who was terrified of flying. Even airlines. But he really wanted to go up with me. So we made a plan. Once around the pattern. No pressure. We are going to land right after we take off. What happened is the subject of this story on my website: Fear of Flying.

But, @Mxfarm, I wonder what brought this up. I got my private in 1990 and so far, have never had a disruptive passenger, whether friend, relative, Angel Flight passenger, or flight student (one or two may have tried to kill me, but they weren't disruptive :D).

Back