Flight review in owner's experimental aircraft

N

Notmyname

What do people think about giving a flight review in an owner's experimental category aircraft (single engine land)? The recent FAA policy seems to have muddied the waters quite a bit. Moreover, I am not experienced in this particular aircraft. While that does not necessarily prevent me from giving a flight review, insurance considerations and who is PIC will come into play. I suppose the PIC assignment could be documented prior to the flight, but I wanted to know if there are other considerations that I might be overlooking.

Nothing special with regard to experimental applies here. Any time you have more than one pilot in an aircraft you have to figure out what your respective roles are going to be and whether you are qualified/proficient enough to exercise those roles. Same as for your insurance liability.

I've given quite a few Flight Reviews in experimental aircraft, but a few notes:
  • I don't think the FAA policy muddied the waters, it clarified them, just in a VERY unfortunate way. My read: you or the pilot receiving instruction now need a LODA. I won't be giving instruction in an experimental until the policy changes or I've got my LODA. (Don't count on the FAA moving quickly on either, in spite of their words in the policy statement.)
  • I've only given flight reviews in experimental aircraft in which I was proficient in the family. (example: I co-owned an RV-4, and felt comfortable giving flight reviews in the RV series.) If you had no Mooney time, would you give a flight review in one? On the other hand, if you had a crap-ton of time in an M20J, would you feel comfortable conducting a flight review in a C model? Probably different answers.
  • When I do Flight Reviews (or do any kind of instruction) in others' airplanes, I spend a good deal of time with the logs. Experimental logs are all over the place. Some great, some not.

Good luck,

--Tony

Just a suggestion - be careful, trust your instincts. Some of my favorite people are CFI's and I don't want any of them taking risks they're not comfortable with.

What do people think about giving a flight review in an owner's experimental category aircraft (single engine land)? The recent FAA policy seems to have muddied the waters quite a bit. Moreover, I am not experienced in this particular aircraft. While that does not necessarily prevent me from giving a flight review, insurance considerations and who is PIC will come into play. I suppose the PIC assignment could be documented prior to the flight, but I wanted to know if there are other considerations that I might be overlooking.
What kind of plane is it? Okay

I've given quite a few Flight Reviews in experimental aircraft, but a few notes:
  • I don't think the FAA policy muddied the waters, it clarified them, just in a VERY unfortunate way. My read: you or the pilot receiving instruction now need a LODA. I won't be giving instruction in an experimental until the policy changes or I've got my LODA. (Don't count on the FAA moving quickly on either, in spite of their words in the policy statement.
<snip>

Good luck,

--Tony

I don’t think this is necessarily correct. Read part B under “Regulations and Guidance”

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...olicy-for-flight-training-in-certain-aircraft

I don’t think the owner or the CFI needs a LODA if the training is being received in the owner’s aircraft.

"Muddied" is a value judgment. As is "stupid rule." Bottom line, the CFI and owner need a LODA and the LODA is very easy to get. Simple process and fast. So regulatory policy is a practical non-issue.

And yes, PIC documentation can mitigate (I will never say eliminate) the insurance risks in case of a mishap. The FAA and NTSB have made it clear that CFIs have PIC type responsibility for a flight, whether or not formally acting as or even able to act as PIC.

But to me, the biggest issue is knowledge of the airplane and its owner. That's true for any owned airplane but especially for experimentals. With very rare exceptions, I don't teach in airplanes I feel unqualified to fly. I have my LODA and am willing to give flight reviews in experimentals. But there are personal requirements. One I did several years ago is an example. A friend had an RV6A and asked me to give him a flight review in it. I was willing because I knew him well and knew that he had been flying that RV for many years. Basically, I trusted him and his judgment about the airplane. But I still had a condition. "But first, you need to teach me how to fly your airplane." We ended up doing two flights.

My partner wanted a checkout in my Mooney from a high time CFI he'd been using fro his training. I took the CFI up for a familiarization flight. His first landing was better than any of mine.

What about just a Flight Review? Put ‘instruction’ aside. Does a CFI need any kind of experience in the plane to do a Flight Review? Need. Not probably should have. Legally need.

As has been noted, yes, either the CFI or the airplane needs an LODA. They are indeed quick and easy to get, as astonishing as that may sound. I sent an email (per FAA instructions) and had one within a couple of days. Whether a particular CFI does or does not want to give a flight review in a particular airplane is up to the CFI. The ones I fly with have no problem with it whatsoever. Two are E/AB builders and owners.

My partner wanted a checkout in my Mooney from a high time CFI he'd been using fro his training. I took the CFI up for a familiarization flight. His first landing was better than any of mine.
That never, ever happens, LOL...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back