Flight Planning

Peruvian0311

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Peruvian0311
So i am going to go on my first cross country and the flight planning seems so confusing to me . I figured out everything that goes on the NAVLOG , however when i double check my course heading that i got using my plotter to sky vector they are off by maybe 10 degrees or so. Also i am not sure on where to start. do i begin with ploting my checkpoints and then get the weather briefing or do i use the TAF to do my NAVLOG then get weather briefing . Could someone guide me in this whole flight planning ?:mad2::mad2:

For starters, your CFI should be walking you thru the entire planning process.

One of the common mistakes we all make (even after many years of practice) is forgetting the magnetic corrections (isogonic lines) on the maps. The maps are in True but we plan for Magnetic.

Always mark the checkpoints on the map first.
Plot the course (remember magnetic corrections!)
Get the Winds Aloft for your altitude. Not at 3K/6K/9K? Then you get to interpolate!
By the way - are winds in MPH or KTS? This will also affect your flght plan.
Based on your plotted course and the winds aloft, determine the actual course you need to take.

Don't worry about the TAFs until just before you're going to preflight the airplane. Check the Winds Aloft one more time, too.
Make any adjustments to your plan.

Go over your flight plan with your CFI. It's good practice for your checkride.

Sounds like maybe you missed magnetic vs true?

As others have said, impossible to tell from here. You should work through it with your CFI.

Get with your CFI ,that's why he gets the big bucks.

Welcome.

This place is tons and tons of help but you are asking a question that about 100% of us are going to refer to the CFI overseeing your cross country.

One post above does cover thisprocess pretty well for you but you still should be doing this exercise with the CFI.

This is all stuff that he/she/zer/zim should be covering with you.

Have you taken the written test yet?
Are you studying for it?

In many of the popular training courses, this process is covered in detail.

So i am going to go on my first cross country and the flight planning seems so confusing to me . I figured out everything that goes on the NAVLOG , however when i double check my course heading that i got using my plotter to sky vector they are off by maybe 10 degrees or so. Also i am not sure on where to start. do i begin with ploting my checkpoints and then get the weather briefing or do i use the TAF to do my NAVLOG then get weather briefing . Could someone guide me in this whole flight planning ?:mad2::mad2:

Just a comment....a TAF applies only within five miles of the primary airport and should have little to do with enroute planning. Except that if the TAF shows the airport in question to be IFR or nearly so you should scratch it from your trip.

I agree with the other posters....this is a question for your CFI.

Bob Gardner

As everyone has said, you need to work with your CFI.

For what it’s worth, though, here's a a quick brain dump of some of the more detailed stuff that I was taught… I'm just a former student, so take this for what it’s worth.

Have fun!

Things you can figure out days in advance and repeatedly review with your instructor

Frequencies (airports, FSS, approach, etc.)
Runways (draw it/them)
Approach direction (draw it)
Prevailing winds and likely entry pattern (draw it, with a mental plan for the opposite)

Check Points – the dot to dots of your planned course, probably by starting with a straight line from airport A to airport B, and then adjusting that line as desired by studying the chart to identify reliable checkpoints that you can easily identify from the air, that are spaced apart by an appropriate amount so that you always know where you are (I usually tried for about 8-12 nm as a student), accounting for airspace issues, and, just generally figuring out where you want to go.

ALT – the altitude you plan to fly at for each interval, remembering any direction is OK if cruising at <= 3000 AGL, but using odd thousands +500 when cruising on a magnetic course of 0 to 179, and even thousands + 500 when 180 to 359.

Mark your chart with the altitudes and also with numbers or letters that correspond to each check point in your navlog.

TC - True Course – what you get from the chart for each interval by laying your plotter on the chart and measuring the course angle relative to true north

VAR – Variation – The difference between magnetic north and true north in your area (shown on charts as “isogonic lines” of variation). Usually the same variation applies to all of your intervals unless your flight is very long.

MC - Magnetic Course – what you get by starting with TC for each interval and then accounting for the magnetic variation in your area, i.e. MC = TC +/- VAR

AS – Airspeed – your expected airspeed when cruising at your planned altitude and power level (consult your POH for expected TAS)

DIST – the distance between check points

TOTAL DIST – adding up the DIST for all of the intervals

GPH – gallons per hour expected at your planned altitude and power setting (from your POH)

TOC – top of climb – a distance D from your departure field that gives you a sense of when you’ll reach your cruise altitude, derived from your planned altitude change and the assumption that you will be climbing at roughly 500 fpm (e.g. 5500 feet divided by 500 fpm = 11 minutes), and then your GS along those initial intervals. You don’t really have a truly accurate GS until you have the winds aloft, but using your uncorrected AS is close enough to put a big dot on your chart for your approximate “TOC.”

TOD – top of descent – a distance D from your destination field, derived in the same manner.

Things you figure out a few hours before your flight when you have wind aloft data
(you can of course use some presumed wind data to work through these for practice)

Wind – speed and direction of the wind – from “Winds Aloft” data for your area and altitude.

WCA – Wind Correction Angle – This is one of the main places that you use your "whiz wheel" or E6B. What you derive from TC and the “Winds Aloft” data, i.e. by starting with the TC for each interval of your flight and accounting for the affect of the winds along based on speed and direction (as you might gather, the direction from “Winds Aloft” data is referenced to true north –“if you read it, it’s true. If you hear it, it’s magnetic”)

MH - Magnetic Heading – what you get by taking the MC and adding or subtracting the WCA. In theory, the MH is where you would actually point the nose in order to fly the desired course given the winds aloft. This is what you would actually fly each interval with if you were just using your compass.

GS – What you derive from expected AS and current “Winds Aloft” data

ETE – estimated time enroute – how long it should take in minutes to go from checkpoint to checkpoint, derived from DIST and GS. When you actually fly the cross country, you record your “TIME OFF” (say 15 for 10:15 am), and then you quickly add the ETE of the first interval, say 6, to create an ETA (estimated time of arrival) for that interval of 21. If you arrive at 20, you write 20 in the ATA (actual time of arrival), and then quickly determine the ETA for the next interval based on its ETE, and so on, and so forth.

TOTAL TIME, adding up all of the ETEs

USED, or FUEL “USED” – how much fuel used for each interval, derived from GPH and ETE, i.e. GPH * ETE/60.

TOTAL FUEL – based on FUEL, a taxi/takeoff assumption (e.g. 1.1), and a reserve amount (e.g. 30 minutes to be legal, but probably at least 1 hour to be safer). The amount of fuel you determine that you need to complete the cross country, given the winds, and with some added margin of safety.

Takeoff and Landing Distances – by deriving the DA from the field altitude, barometric pressure, and temperature, and then looking up the distances in your POH. You can do a dry run by using the previous day’s data for the same time of day, calling the number for the ATIS or ASOS, finding it on the web,

Add another member of the peanut gallery that says get with your CFI.

:yes:

While some students catch onto flight planning quickly, others need a bit more help.

With my students, we plan the first dual cross-country as a ground school lesson with me teaching the process.

The next dual, the student does it on their own and I review it with them.

After that...they're going to be solo and while I still review their planning, by that time they've usually got it.

Don't be afraid to ask your CFI to help you...that's his job.

Back