Flight planning

Rick Wallace

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Avnut
Just wanted some tips on cross country flight planning. I passed my check ride a couple months ago and got my license, but I almost feel like I don't know procedure to do a flight plan with a Garmin 430 and Foreflight. I don't want to get on a rift about how flight planning with an E6B and a sectional are antiquated, but what routine do you use when using modern technology? What would you advise a newly licensed (inexperienced) pilot to do as far as flight planning? I made a spreadsheet of necessary things to know, radio frequencies, airport elevation, highest obstacle, but it seems like I always miss something.

With the 430 and Foreflight. Pick an airport and punch in direct. Or learn how to use the features in Foreflight and actually plan the flight.

Your 430 is adequate in flight, backed up by navigation that doesn't depend on GPS (pilotage, radio navigation, ded reckoning). There is no need to use Foreflight in-flight when a 430 is handy, except perhaps to choose a route when diverting. But VFR diversions are almost always direct-to, so the flight plan is trivial. Minimize heads-down time in VMC.

There is a free simulator on Garmin's website. Practice with that. Push the FP button and enter the flight plan using the right knobs. Don't forget to push the knob to get a cursor.

With the 430 and Foreflight. Pick an airport and punch in direct. Or learn how to use the features in Foreflight and actually plan the flight.

Yeah I did that on my first ever PPL flight, and I flew into Athens, GA and the runway just looked LOW and I was so used to flying at a certain MSL in the traffic pattern at my local airport that it didn't even occur to me that I was flying into an airport with a higher msl. Yeah it was so bad I was tapping on the altimeter and listening to another weather report after landing to make sure I set my altimeter correctly before I figured out my screw up.

Ooh, that's a major mistake.

Field elevation (and TPA and direction of turns) should be the FIRST thing you look up about an airport. That's not a GPS issue. Read the AFD entry and relevant NOTAMs for the destination (and departure) airport. It sucks to land on a closed runway.

Before any flight I like to make a small note with the minimal information I need to got to an unfamiliar airport. Normally it includes

Airport ID/Name
CTAF/tower frequency
ASOS/ATIS frequency
Runway #s and if anything is right traffic
Pattern altitude and/or field elevation

I also use a 430 and foreflight, both of which contain this information but my little cheat sheet doesn't require going to any screens/pages it's just right there and ready to go.

Even though I fly a G1000 and with Foreflight, I still use a military kneeboard with FlyWrite pads.

Ooh, that's a major mistake.

Field elevation (and TPA and direction of turns) should be the FIRST thing you look up about an airport. That's not a GPS issue. Read the AFD entry and relevant NOTAMs for the destination (and departure) airport. It sucks to land on a closed runway.

I know its a major mistake, but it would be nice to have some kind flight plan that addresses all these variables some of which I probably haven't even experienced yet.

I haven't done a flight plan involving timed way points since my PPL.

I'm not recommending it, but I just don't find it necessary. I never, ever plan near the limits of the fuel I have on board, my bladder won't allow it. I get fuel every time I land to maintain that margin. About the only deviations I'll make are for MOAs or other SUA that might happen to be hot.

I have a 430W, another VOR, and two android tablets running Garmin Pilot. If all that craps out, I'm SOL. Until then I have 6 hours of gas for a 2+ hour leg, three map / airport info databases and four nav sources PLUS the whiskey compass and dead reckoning.

So, yes. I more or less jump in, start up, hit direct, and take off.

(I do religiously get briefings before each flight. I'm not careless, I just don't believe in planning each flight down to the minute. )

I started doing this [see photo] when I began using a Garmin 430 WAAS. It takes care of most things; I also draw a pencil line on the sectional(s) and highlight them first, then write down everything that I will pass along the way. Airport names and codes come in handy, and their weather frequencies are easier to read on my kneeboard than they are to find on the sectional in flight. VORs allow backup navigation, and course checking independent of the GPS.

This also lets me check the accuracy of my yardstick drawing lines on the floor, and usually matches pretty well with the "Direct To" button. The additional scribbling is me talking to ATC along the route. It also keeps my non-GPS navigation skills from completely disappearing . . .

This one is for a recent flight that I haven't thrown away yet. At the top is the route, KHTW-->KAUO, 376.6 nm@203º. On this flight, I had very few frequency changes, only 6 times plus origin & destination CTAF. Yes, I was VFR on flight following due to winter-induced lapse of IFR currency.

Have fun, go neat places, and remember to fly safe!

P.S.--Come on over! Macon's not far.

Attachments

• 20140602_215258.jpg
    20140602_215258.jpg
    795.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
VFR - Direct to on the 430 and Fltplan.com
IFR - Enter in flight plan on 430 and Fltplan.com

Direct-to isn't always the best choice. Sometimes you have to follow terrain, remain near decent emergency landing spots, avoid extended over-water flying, find good landmarks, etc.

Although I haven't gone on any particularly long flights yet, for each flight I make a quick reference sheet that lays out:

Dep Airport / Arrival Airport Identifier and Altitude; TPA
ATIS Freq
GND Freq
TWR Freq
Draw a simple airport diagram with R/L TP arrows so no need to visualize when approaching

I then include any APP/DEP freq. (Bravo/Charlie) or TWR Freq (Delta) that I may need to talk to

This is a 1 page quick ref sheet and on the bottom part of the sheet is where I write in any information (ATIS info, ATC directions, etc). Then underneath the sheet I have the actual airport diagrams if needed.

I also plug in the route on Foreflight on my IPAD but since most the planes I'm flying are G1000 or have good GPS, I don't typically need Foreflight.

That's my process now but I'm sure it will evolve when I start going greater distances.

For first arrivals at new airports, I just visit AOPA's airport page and print out the kneeboard format. All frequencies, phone numbers, FBO names, airport diagram, nav aids with direction and distance, runway info, etc. I highlight what's important and add pattern altitude when not shown. Fold it in half, it fits on my kneeboard just under the page I gave earlier. No drawing or arranging required.

Weather - I do alot to watch and see what the weather will be doing before the trip , so I will leave that in another topic.

Route - I love ForeFlight for planning my route. I always plan out where I will be going and make sure my ALT's are good, no TFR's, Restricted airpsaces etc.. etc.. This also helps me figure on the fuel for the trip. I setup foreflight to use a number about 2 gal/hr higher for planning to be safe.

Little backup/critical info - I jot down on my lap board, the airport names, ICAO, Pattern ALT, usable runway numbers and all the useful freq. (AWOS/ATIS, Tower, Ground etc..)

Fly - Now I have my weather, my route, some critical data in front of my eyes, I am ready to fly. Setup your GPS and do your thing. I have found this works great for me.

Back