Flight Planning Software

Tarheel Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tarheel Pilot
Does anyone know any good Flight Planning software? Right now I'm using the one AOPA provides, but I think it's too simplistic. I mean I don't know how high the terrain over my route is, it doesn't show restricted airspace, or airspace that I could fly over but are military zones, etc. What I'm saying is that I want a Flight Planning software that is more in depth than the one AOPA provided.

Duats Golden Eagle. Also free but IMHO much better. It works off line has more features and is more friendly. Did I mention it is free?

Not sure why your AOPA flight plan does not show TFR's, Restricted or MOA's.

I use sectionals for terrain and to plot my course, the AOPA FP for the nav log and wx.

Attachments

• aopaplan.jpg
    aopaplan.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 23
Another Duats Golden Eagle user here......

Steve

Voyager...it is a great piece of software and relatively cheap.

I just purchased Chart Case. It's expensive, but good flight planning, charts both high and low and I can carry it on flight for back up. Just getting into it, but the free on line flight planners are missing a lot. If you want STARS, departures, high altitude, and charts, this has those along with a moving map and terrain.

Best,

Dave

I've been using RMS Flitesoft (rmstek.com) since the time when it shipped on floppy disks and it works pretty well in addition to being one of the lower cost (on an annual basis) of the non-free applications. The initial cost is $200 (FS-Pro) and the annual renewal is $120. For that you get all updates to the planner application and it's database plus (relatively automatic) downloads of sectionals, and low/high enroute charts. The only dislike I have is that the program is a port from something other than the Windows environment and therefore doesn't follow many MicroSoft conventions (no file open dialogs etc). It has gotten more "Windows like" over the years
in addition to getting more powerful so maybe some day they will completely adopt this environment (assuming that's a good thing).

Another interesting feature is the ability to load the entire application and database onto a USB flashdrive and run on anybody's computer that has a USB port without actually installing the program but I've never used this as I always carry my laptop on trips.

I also subscribed to another flight planner called FliteStar for many years and I still think it's a slighty superior application but it costs a bit more annually, comes with less, and when Jeppesen took over the program a while back they got real snotty about multiple installations. When started using the program I had it installed on three computers, one at home, one at work and one laptop for travelling and this was in compliance with their license policy which only required that there be one license (fee) per user. Jeppesen changed that policy to limit a single license to no more than two computers and insisted I pay for a second license if I wanted to install the program on three computers for my personal use. I went along with that, foregoing the installation on my desktop at home but then I ran into a related problem a year or two later.

The final straw was when they accused me of pirating their software after a bug in their installer and subsequent advice from their support desk required me to re-install the program on a new computer several times before the problem was fixed. Then when I needed to transfer the program to a newly acquired computer at work, they said I'd used up all the installations I was allowed and it was obvious I was trying to cheat their piracy protection. At that point I terminated my subscription. To be fair, there were several years during the transition to Jeppesen control of the application when their support services were "somewhat suboptimal" but I suspect that they have improved since then.

That said, one feature that Jeppesen's FliteStar supported that I miss in FliteSoft is the the ability to save multiple routes between two airports in one file. This capability was very well implemented and I found it quite useful for trips I commonly flew since it allowed me to easily select a previously established route to accommodate different winds and weather that needed avoiding.

I use the online version of golden eagle, available at flightprep.com. Somehow, I got it for free, but everyone else pays for it. Maybe I beta tested or something (or hell, maybe I did pay years ago, but don't remember doing it), but it is awesome.

1000s of times better than the offline version, I think.

Lance, I agree with you about Flitesoft -- I've been using it for a long time also. As I've upgraded computers I've had to reinstall it a bunch of times -- each time the hot line person has been helpful and given me a new code. I have it running on both a laptop and a desk top.

Beyond being a really good product, the folks at RMS are a real pleasure to deal with.

I am going to toss in a plug for Airplan

http://www.razorsedgesoft.com/airplan.htm

Dean was previously licensing this software on an initial fee/ annual subscription basis. Recently, Dean decided that the cost to him of maintaining the product wasn't worth it and "downgraded" the program to inexpensive shareware.

At this point, the "downgrade" just means that he will not be updating the sectional charts. He is, however, continuing to update the airport/navaid/fix database.

I have been a registered subscriber for a number of years. The bid sell for me has always been the sectionals and the ability to created my own user waypoints (like mountain passes). If Dean ultimately decides to no longer update anything, I will be taking a second look at Voyager, but so far there is nothing out there that does what I want for anything close to what Dean is charging - even when he was charing his "full price."

I've used Destination Direct, FliteSoft, and most recently Jepp's FliteStar. I'm going to stick with FliteStar since I use JeppView IFR plates, and they integrate well.

I recommend all three, you should see if you can get a demo and pick the one that works best for you.

Back