Flight planning software with glide range

apilotb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ApilotB
Is there a flight planning software that can display the glide range on either side of the selected route? I know you can get glide range when in the air from foreflight or garmin, but I want to know if a preflight planning software has this feature.

Is there a flight planning software that can display the glide range on either side of the selected route? I know you can get glide range when in the air from foreflight or garmin, but I want to know if a preflight planning software has this feature.

I dunno. Interesting question though. It would have to guess what the winds were going to be. I wouldn’t take much stock in it for planning unless it assumed worst case scenario.

Foreflight has it, it'll project a quasi ring around your plane with your glide range

IMG_1941.jpg

However the best way is to know some simple math based on altitude of how far you can glide for each thousand feet off hand ( rounded down ), also a great reason to have a nice eHSI where you can populate airports on it and toggle your range ring to your glide range, makes this much faster if things go poorly.

Foreflight has it, it'll project a quasi ring around your plane with your glide range

IMG_1941.jpg

However the best way is to know some simple math based on altitude of how far you can glide for each thousand feet off hand ( rounded down ), also a great reason to have a nice eHSI where you can populate airports on it and toggle your range ring to your glide range, makes this much faster if things go poorly.

Glide advisor works only in the air. You cannot use it during planning. If you want to know the best route & altitude to take to maximize chances of gliding to airports or land for overwater flights, it looks like you have to do it in your head now. I am a little surprised this feature doesn't exist yet.

^probably not a hard thing for them to code, to put a little shaded corridor along your route of flight, but I bet there are reasons why they don't do this. For example if the winds aloft change, or you fly different altitude than what you planned etc then this type of thing becomes sort of useless in the real world.. to the point where, to Jordane's point, just using a sectional and knowing what your typical glide range, at say 6,5K is, works fine enough

This reminds me though, I wish foreflight had an open API that would enable some outside development work with it. For example, the log book in foreflight is pretty weak in my opinion. I'd love to have an app or plug-in that would dashboard out all your flights metrics, etc. I'm doing this manually now with Tableau and exporting it from the CSV but that's a very hokey way of doing it. My last 12 months of flying, using this method. Would be great to code up an app to work with Foreflight API to do this

upload_2018-8-11_17-15-34.png

You think a random plug-in will do better job at graphing and analyzing bunch of data than Tableau , which sole purpose is dedicated to graphing various sets of data ?

I couldn't find any random plug in. If you know of one for Foreflight let me know

I just discovered and used glide advisor on foreflight - I think it's extremely useful. It even adjusts based on the terrain.

Back