flight into terain

Dave Krall CFII said:
Ditto that, plus, most pilots living at sealevel or lower altitudes whether flatlanders or not, will even at altitudes of around 5000 feet MSL, be somewhat affected by mild cases of hypoxic euphoria synergistically amplified by the mountain high experience itself.

Undetectably impaired judgement applied to typically minimal mountain flying skills yields the malicious by-product we then read of from the NTSB.

I don't know if I agree with that. That would mean that I am mildly hypoxic before I even get to the airport, driving to it. Then, I'm also mildly hypoxic as I taxi, and takeoff. And, in the pattern, at 6800 feet, I'm even moreso?

Not trying to be argumentative, but I just don't think that's true. Although it would explain some of the stupid things I say that put my foot in my mouth around women. :)

NickDBrennan said:
I don't know if I agree with that. That would mean that I am mildly hypoxic before I even get to the airport, driving to it.
I'd like to blame the stupid things I say and do on the altitude too since I live at 6400'. :yes:

But since you live in Albuquerque you're already acclimated to 5000'. Your body adapts to the higher altitude, I think, by making more red blood cells. Thats why a lot of athletes like to train at altitude. Dave Krall was referring to pilots who live at sea level.

Everskyward said:
I'd like to blame the stupid things I say and do on the altitude too since I live at 6400'.

I only live at 6000', but still blame the altitude on my stupdity. :)

In reality we can fly at higher altitudes than flatlanders without supplemental O2. Within reason of course. However, if you need it, use it.

I believe Dr. Bruce said the advantage fades rapidly and at 12000 or so we don't have much advantage any more.

Don't really understand either but it happens several times a year in Colorado. The latest today. The interview with the passenger on TV praised the pilot! Something like: "When he know we didn't have enough altitude and it was too tight to turn around he found the only clearing on the Interstate. I knew I wasn't going to die, he was a good pilot." I wish I had the tape for a safety class.

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME=KUSA&IKOBJECTID=cfbab435-0abe-421a-00e1-8b2355409835&TEMPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c01ca7bf

ejensen said:
I believe Dr. Bruce said the advantage fades rapidly and at 12000 or so we don't have much advantage any more.
Yup. Sad but true.

ejensen said:

And everybody is different on how the altitude effects them. Doesn't sound like Hypoxia was the cause of the most recent crash, but who knows. It might be a good ideas to invest in an O2 system if I'm going to keep doing this mountains stuff.

Anthony said:
And everybody is different on how the altitude effects them. Doesn't sound like Hypoxia was the cause of the most recent crash, but who knows. It might be a good ideas to invest in an O2 system if I'm going to keep doing this mountains stuff.

Yep, almost bought myself a rig for my birthday. But I really like Dr Bs home aseembled setup. Just have to find the time to round up the pieces.

NickDBrennan said:
I don't know if I agree with that. That would mean that I am mildly hypoxic before I even get to the airport, driving to it. Then, I'm also mildly hypoxic as I taxi, and takeoff. And, in the pattern, at 6800 feet, I'm even moreso?

Not trying to be argumentative, but I just don't think that's true. Although it would explain some of the stupid things I say that put my foot in my mouth around women. :)

It's the altitude differential between where one lives and where one's activities will be taking place that is the key to performance degradation. It can also work in reverse, to one's advantage, going to a lower altitude.

Dave Krall CFII said:
It's the altitude differential between where one lives and where one's activities will be taking place that is the key to performance degradation. It can also work in reverse, to one's advantage, going to a lower altitude.

Is that when they become 'heavy headed'? The indications are opposite to euphoric and include an ever-deepening brooding and contempt for all things flat, coupled with sporadic outbursts of derision for those who populate those lower elevations.

ejensen said:

That's my understanding as well. When it comes to physical exertion, you can condition your lungs to deliver more O2 to the blood, but the difference between sea level and 5000-6000 is way less than the difference between 10,000 and 15,000 MSL in terms of blood oxygen saturation.

Richard said:
Is that when they become 'heavy headed'? The indications are opposite to euphoric and include an ever-deepening brooding and contempt for all things flat, coupled with sporadic outbursts of derision for those who populate those lower elevations.

I'm not sure about that one Richard but, there is a statement of wisdom that bears repeating, handed down since antiquity by Highlanders: BEWARE THE FLATLANDER WHO HAS AN OXYGEN TANK AND KNOWS HOW TO USE IT.

Last edited:
Back