Flight instructor written exams

tigerowner

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tigerowner
How similar are the written exams for flight instructor airplane vs advanced ground instructor? Note I’m not referring to FOI, rather the “aviation” set of exams fo these.

I've read/heard to take the advanced GIA test at the same time as the "normal" test because the questions and answers all come from the same bank of questions.

I'm taking my CFI-S written next Tuesday (the 8th).

Lots of overlap in the commercial, Cfi airplane and AGI exams. Not 100% identical. Buy the Sheppard air pack.

same for ifr, IGI and CFII.

The CFI airplane does not have any questions on helicopters, balloons, etc. while the AGI and IGI exams have a few.

As a followup to my original post, since I was searching for this advice and have now completed the CAX, AGI, and FIA written exams, my recommendation is to take them in that order if you are planning to take all of them. AGI and FIA overlapped significantly, but there were a number of questions on the commercial exam that did not overlap with the instructor exams.

I'm now a huge fan of Sheppard.

As a followup to my original post, since I was searching for this advice and have now completed the CAX, AGI, and FIA written exams, my recommendation is to take them in that order if you are planning to take all of them. AGI and FIA overlapped significantly, but there were a number of questions on the commercial exam that did not overlap with the instructor exams.

I'm now a huge fan of Sheppard.
Go ahead and use SA to get FII and IGI done. Similar overlap as AGI and FIA.

Then with the complete FOI, take the results of the FOI, AGI, and IGI to either a FSDO inspector or a DPE, fill out the appropriate IACRA items, and get your ground instructor certificate.

While not mandatory to have it as a flight instructor, there are a few perks to having one. For me that included skipping the FOI task during my CFI oral exam.

Back