Flight Instructor Insurance

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I don't recall this topic being discussed in recent times.

Teach us what we need to know about proper insurance coverage when exercising flight instructor privileges.

For those that operate as flight instructors, do you maintain any form of liability insurance?

Can I ask what limits and cost of the policy? Would you share the names of the carriers offering the policies?

Does being part of a 141 school (where you are an employee) change anything over being an independent part 61 CFI?

Do the exposure risks change between teaching in an aircraft you own/control versus an aircraft owned by your student? or controlled by the flight school?

If you're not freelance, you shouldn't have to provide insurance, not even a conversation, any flight school that doesn't fully cover you, F' that noise, with the lack of CFIs in the market, walk.

I’ve never had my own insurance. I’m sure it’s not a bad thing to have though.

We had this discussion recently in a CFI class I took.

If you freelance and are working with a private owner of an aircraft, get on your student's insurance policy as named insured. If you are well qualified, this should not cost you or your student anything. You should be able to submit a pilot history form, and get on the owners insurance policy as a CFI. In the event of an accident, you would get the full protection of their insurance policy.

A flight school, even if you are freelancing as a part time contractor should add you to their policy.

We had this discussion recently in a CFI class I took.

If you freelance and are working with a private owner of an aircraft, get on your student's insurance policy as named insured. If you are well qualified, this should not cost you or your student anything. You should be able to submit a pilot history form, and get on the owners insurance policy as a CFI. In the event of an accident, you would get the full protection of their insurance policy.

A flight school, even if you are freelancing as a part time contractor should add you to their policy.
Would you still want something specific of your own as an additional layer?

I use "satire insurance" so I'm covered if anyone tries to replicate what I teach and fails as most mortals likely will.

Uh, I don't think that's even a possibility for someone to attempt to duplicate your, uh, teaching methods Bryan. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy your videos now, don't take this wrong. :cool:

I assume you're asking whether you need what amounts to "malpractice" insurance as a CFI, to protect against any potential liability for giving bad instruction. The answer is "maybe." If you do some digging, you'll find that a lot of states don't permit lawsuits for "negligent instruction." So to the extent the CFI wasn't in the plane, the liability exposure is, depending on the specific state, is pretty low. However, that doesn't mean you won't get named as a defendant in a larger lawsuit. Most CFIs could go bankruptcy trying to get a meritless claim dismissed. With that in mind, it seems to me that the real benefit to CFI insurance is the duty to defend; if you get sued, the insurance company will hire counsel and defend you (in theory, getting the suit dismissed or paying a nuisance settlement amount).

Alas, my research shows that nobody offers CFI liability (that's liability for instruction not for dinging the aircraft) in any amounts meaningful unless you are practically judgment proof to begin with (i.e., a career CFI with no other asset).

AVEMCO sells a policy for CFIs who instruct in student owned airplanes. It includes "Professional Liability". The cost varies with the hull value that you select when you purchase the insurance. The "hull value" is that of the students airplane.
I spoke with the owner of AVEMCO a couple of years ago and asked him several questions about this insurance including the "hull value" portion. He told me that taking the minimum hull value would probably be the way to go. If you are named in a law suit and the plaintiff's lawyer sees that you have insurance, even if the "hull value" doesn't match the accident aircraft's value they will more than likely not pursue. They will take the listed "hull value" instead of trying to squeeze more blood from a CFI turnip. He told me that he had not seen a case were they went beyond the listed "hull value". YMMV.

Back