Flight Helmets that allow use of own headset

MonkeyClaw

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Timothy Miller
I'm looking for flight helmets that allow me to use my own headset. I have one that I can use, but I'm overly enamored with it. It's more of a hack than an official design, where the styrofoam was removed and foam padding was added with room for my headset strap (I didn't do it, I swear!).

I've seen the Comtronics Pro-COM, which is pretty much what I'm looking for but is out of stock everywhere. I'm looking for other options so see what would work best for me.

What headsets? If Bose A-20 or Lightspeed Zulu? Sky Cowboys makes adapters to use headsets on any safety helmet that has Peltor hearing muff attach points. They also sell Team Wendy helmets. You’ll need to disassemble the ear cups from the bands, and chances are you’ll never get them back together. David Clark’s helmet works only with DC headsets and don’t require disassembly, just removal of the headband pad. They don’t work with other headset brands.

I have a Gallet flight hemet with built-in A20, a Kask safety helmet with Sky Cowboy adapters and Zulu 2s, and a modified baseball coach’s helmet that I can wear Zulu 3s over the top. Beware, you may not have as much head space as you think. Not all planes are helmet friendly.

Curious - why a helmet?

640fc192f46f3d824734119ae8af10a2.jpg

Showing available at https://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/10348

Just a thought.

Have you considered a motorcycle helmet? Seems like a half helmet would suit your bill as well.

When I check mypilotstore, all of them say 'Notify Me' instead of 'In stock'. A moto helmet would require me to remove the styrofoam impact protection also.

What headsets? If Bose A-20 or Lightspeed Zulu? Sky Cowboys makes adapters to use headsets on any safety helmet that has Peltor hearing muff attach points. They also sell Team Wendy helmets. You’ll need to disassemble the ear cups from the bands, and chances are you’ll never get them back together. David Clark’s helmet works only with DC headsets and don’t require disassembly, just removal of the headband pad. They don’t work with other headset brands.

I have a Gallet flight hemet with built-in A20, a Kask safety helmet with Sky Cowboy adapters and Zulu 2s, and a modified baseball coach’s helmet that I can wear Zulu 3s over the top. Beware, you may not have as much head space as you think. Not all planes are helmet friendly.

I'm hoping to use my old A10s, but I'll get A30s if required. Good to know about the DCs, I thought I'd be able to use any old headset with them.

Curious - why a helmet?

Open cockpit.

When I check mypilotstore, all of them say 'Notify Me' instead of 'In stock'. A moto helmet would require me to remove the styrofoam impact protection also.

One day I'll pick up on subtle clues like that. I saw a price, and a button w/ a shopping cart on it. Didnt bother to read the text beside the shopping cart. Sigh.

Makes sense about the motorcycle helmet.

Good luck.

Last edited:
For reference, here’s what’s involved to put Zulus in a Sky Cowboys setup. No way I could reassemble the headset.IMG_2119.jpegIMG_2120.jpeg

Back