Flight from NJ to Northern Florida

drotto

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
drotto
I am looking at the logistics of flying from NJ to the St. Augustine area of Florida. I was wondering what a good half way airport would be for a rest, some food, and a refuel. This would be done in a PA32 with 4 people. So two roughly 2.5 plus hour legs is the goal.

I've made that trip many times from KFRG in my Tiger and usually stop in Myrtle Beach. Need to stop sooner? Suffolk in VA has always had cheap fuel and nice facility. It's a nice flight, enjoy!

Williamsburg KJGG is a nice, smsll field with a very good restaurant. Town and the Historic Area are both a short drive. Pretty easy in and out.

Stopping in NC or farther south gets you the best fuel prices. I usually stop at KLBT, SS cheap fuel but has maintenance services and is within walking distance of town (hotels,food).

Wilmington, N. Myrtle, Myrtle, Charleston, Hilton Head, Savannah. don't think you could go wrong at any of these places, at least for food options.

Williamsburg KJGG is a nice, smsll field with a very good restaurant. Town and the Historic Area are both a short drive. Pretty easy in and out.

I landed here during my trip from North Carolina to the New York City region.

I recommend it.

I was thinking in NC or SC because that would put me between the 2.5 hr to 3 the mark. If a leg needs to be somewhat longer, I would prefer the first leg being longer. I will look at a few of these.

Do people usually do the coastal route? I was also thinking filing IFR and basically taking V1 most of the way down. So any airport more or less on that route would be preferred.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I was thinking in NC or SC because that would put me between the 2.5 hr to 3 the mark. If a leg needs to be somewhat longer, I would prefer the first leg being longer. I will look at a few of these.

Do people usually do the coastal route? I was also thinking filing IFR and basically taking V1 most of the way down. So any airport more or less on that route would be preferred.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is the South. You don't have to worry about airways; you'll get "direct destination" south of the 38th parallel. I usually go whatever is most direct, staying within a mile or two of shore. Depending on where we're heading, we usually make a slight dogleg at SSI. As far as fuel stops, there are many choices of cheap fuel in rural NC/SC and many have courtesy cars for running into town for chow. Expect your typical fast food plus a local home cooking or BBQ joint, nothing fancy. Speaking of BBQ, BQ1 is often a favorite of folks heading through the Carolinas but the 2,500 ft strip with obstructions might be a bit tight for a fully loaded PA 32. If you don't mind paying a bit more for gas, MYR isn't a bad choice with plenty of food options close by.

64AE0C29-D0B6-4EC5-B38D-5E3EEB3EF7E3.jpeg
I am looking at the logistics of flying from NJ to the St. Augustine area of Florida. I was wondering what a good half way airport would be for a rest, some food, and a refuel. This would be done in a PA32 with 4 people. So two roughly 2.5 plus hour legs is the goal.

Did this in my Diamond to go fly Extras, real easy, this is the route I took.

Lots of options. I would only suggest avoiding the cheapest gas found at smaller inland airports in NC/SC. The coastal stops will charge more but it’s worth it for your passengers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FWIW-I usually stop at KCPC. Cheap fuel and fast turnaround, but no restaurant. The people are nice. The other suggestions are good ones too.

I may have answered too late for you, but this may help someone else.

I fly from NJ to Central FL regularly (and I'm doing the reverse route tomorrow in fact.) My fuel stop is KACZ in NC. Self-serve is $4.15 at present but usually someone is around to offer to fuel for you. Nice little conference table area inside and a fridge stocked with sodas and snacks. Has LPV approaches available. I like it.

I have no need for a fancy/expensive airport at which to make a fuel stop.

Back