Flight Following & Fuel Stops

LauraE51

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Laura
In 10 days, i'm hoping, weather permitting, to fly from Tracy (TCY) to Palm Springs (PSP) for a conference. While the entire flight should last around 3:40 and i have sufficient fuel for much longer, i plan to stop for fuel around Bakersfield (L45), which is about two hours south.

I plan to request flight following upon departure. Question. What are the odds that when it's time to land in Bakersfield that ATC will either terminate my FF or will allow me to keep my squawk code which means i can just report back once i've left L45? I plan to be on the ground no longer than 20-25 minutes.

You will get terminated when you get the frequency change but it will be real easy to establish once you are back in the air. Approach and Los Angeles Center in that area are VERY accommodating and flying into So Cal they would rather have ya ON flight following.

Last edited:
If you're just looking to refuel and stretch I highly recommend KMIT just outside Bakersfield. Self serve fuel that's cheap compared to here (I paid $4.50 today), and they have a VERY nice pilot lounge that is incredibly well stocked considering it's not attended. It's all just on the honor system, and both times I've stopped there the fridge has been full of many different kinds of sodas and good beer. I actually purposely planned my fuel today with an extra flight over there from Famoso instead of filling up at home. Saved about $40 in fuel, and got a drink and a bag of pretzels from the lounge.

As for flight following, they will terminate when you get switched to tower (or CTAF) but just call back up on the same frequency when you take off again. Bakersfield approach is really easy to work with.

I really don't even understand why one would care about keeping their squawk code for Flight Following when landing somewhere, except maybe for a touch and go.

Even then, it's 4 button clicks or dial turns. Ain't no thang.

Even then, it's 4 button clicks or dial turns. Ain't no thang.

Some people find it really intimidating to ask ATC for the service. I know a few older guys like that who don't fly often.

Just get a new squawk from Bakersfield Approach. Don't worry, they're friendly, and don't bite. ;)

I recently stopped in Boulder City for fuel under McCarren's class B. I asked the controller if we could keep our squawk because we'd only be about 30 mins. He advised me to keep squawk and contact departure on the ground before leaving.

Worked out fine but the main reason we did it was because we needed to climb in to the class B to get back on route.

Technically they're required to have you squawk VFR going into an uncontrolled field after radar service termination. Unless you're doing a quick approach or landing at a controlled field, most likely you'll be instructed to change to 1200.

Also, staying on your code really doesn't save that much time. The controller is probably going to do up another strip anyway to count two operations; an arrival and a departure. They'll still need to reidentify you as well even if you stayed on your previous code.

Some people find it really intimidating to ask ATC for the service. I know a few older guys like that who don't fly often.
I know a few younger guys who are the same way.

I thought of that but a lot of those guys (young and old) tend to not ask for flight following at all. Some claim it's not intimidation at all; it's freedom from having to talk to the guvmint. But whatever the reason, it's hard to imagine them asking ATC for something special.

If you're just looking to refuel and stretch I highly recommend KMIT just outside Bakersfield. Self serve fuel that's cheap compared to here (I paid $4.50 today), and they have a VERY nice pilot lounge that is incredibly well stocked considering it's not attended. It's all just on the honor system, and both times I've stopped there the fridge has been full of many different kinds of sodas and good beer. I actually purposely planned my fuel today with an extra flight over there from Famoso instead of filling up at home. Saved about $40 in fuel, and got a drink and a bag of pretzels from the lounge.

i would expect no less in a pilot's lounge. :lol:

Working with Cleveland Center, I've kept my code when dropping in for a touch and go, but I've not seen that with actually being on the ground for awhile.

I know a few younger guys who are the same way.

I thought of that but a lot of those guys (young and old) tend to not ask for flight following at all. Some claim it's not intimidation at all; it's freedom from having to talk to the guvmint. But whatever the reason, it's hard to imagine them asking ATC for something special.

But it's on my terms. :dunno:

We don't have to talk to them most of the time, but one day the extra set of eyes on that XC could save my bacon.

Worked out fine but the main reason we did it was because we needed to climb in to the class B to get back on route.

This is the only valid reason I could see for keeping a squawk, and probably makes things easier for ATC as well in that situation. Otherwise it's just a call and a couple knobs to turn.

Try WJF just past L45. it will save you time on the descent and climb out. Self serve and a restaurant.

And, depending on the time of day/year, wild winds.

It's also not "just past" Bakersfield, but rather over the next mountain range.

If the wind is blowing, especially from the south, you'll be climbing at max performance out of WJF to get above the San Gabriel mountain turbulence.

I just wanna know how they keep all the local kids out of the stash.

One of these:

0fd6ab26f145262c4d1e2fa322be1e3c.jpg

I flew there last week and can confirm that the Shafter (KMIT) lounge is very well stocked. It's a nice little non-towered airport next to Meadows Field.

Whoever got it rolling deserves a tip of the hat. $0.75 per item. Honor system. :yesnod:

I plan to request flight following upon departure. Question. What are the odds that when it's time to land in Bakersfield that ATC will either terminate my FF or will allow me to keep my squawk code which means i can just report back once i've left L45? I plan to be on the ground no longer than 20-25 minutes.

I really don't even understand why one would care about keeping their squawk code for Flight Following when landing somewhere, except maybe for a touch and go.

I can pull it off occasionally. I only offer it to save them having to get all the info. retyped into the system. If on long XC Texas to California and stopping near Tuscon, chances are 50:50 if under control of Tuscon (FF handoff). I've never been able to get it anywhere else ...

I can pull it off occasionally. I only offer it to save them having to get all the info. retyped into the system. If on long XC Texas to California and stopping near Tuscon, chances are 50:50 if under control of Tuscon (FF handoff). I've never been able to get it anywhere else ...
You raise a good and interesting question - how information is required and how much effort is required of ATC to enter VFR flight following information?

Significantly less than for a pop-up IFR clearance I would expect, and not too much even for that based on the pop-ups Ive received.

One of these:

0fd6ab26f145262c4d1e2fa322be1e3c.jpg

I flew there last week and can confirm that the Shafter (KMIT) lounge is very well stocked. It's a nice little non-towered airport next to Meadows Field.

Whoever got it rolling deserves a tip of the hat. $0.75 per item. Honor system. :yesnod:

There's one of those on the door, but the code is on the inside of the gate (as I'm sure you know). I know when I was a teenager all it took was one kid finding out that code and all bets were off. Then again, it is Bakersfield, they are probably too busy cooking meth to care about a couple cases of Stone in the fridge.

Back