Flight following comms

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
When on flight following, if I am passing through class D, do I have to specifically ask to be cleared through it since I am not talking to that tower, or am I already cleared since I am in communications with the area's approach?

In this case, atc for flight following is class C and I am passing through a class D just outside the class C. Thanks!

No,
you only need to be "cleared" into Bravo

For C and D it's just / way communication, and if you're talking to ATC for your flight following, that's 2 way communication.

Do what they tell you to do. They will sometimes use language that you're cleared through or your transition is approved, but it's advisory only.

The only time you have to remain outside is when they tell you to remain clear, or give you a vector or altitude restriction that makes you remain clear. Or if they play stupid games not using your tail number ("Aircraft calling Approach stand by").

No clearance, you're in two way comms with the facility (approach) providing the ATC service (FF). Also, their order requires them to get the transition with the tower. It's their job.

Point of clarification, you do not need to be "cleared" into C or D, only establish and maintain two way communication with the ATC facility that has jurisdictional control over the C/D airspace.

This has been debated back and forth...as the grey area is that there is no way to know absolutely who has jurisdictional control. Obviously tower, and typically approach that is adjoining the airspace. If your route takes you through C/D, approach is supposed to coordinate that transition or arrival at your destination so you do not need to "establish communications" on your own because you already have by talking to them, but just being on FF alone does not mean that you can necessarily just wander aimlessly into any C or D airspace.

Here is my take, if I am on FF and my route clearly takes me though C/D I assume that ATC will coordinate. If I change course or my route is not clear that I am gonna enter C/D I will simply ask ATC to confirm my C/D transition coordination to cover my arse. Note I did not say ask for clearance. If you are talking to Approach that is adjoining the airspace, then most likely they have jurisdiction and you are good to go.

"NorCal, Sklyane 123XY heading 210 confirming Charlie transition"

In your scenario...no, you do not need to worry about the Delta airspace boundary.

Last edited:
Approach will advise the tower of you by initiating a "point out". IOW hey tower, Cessna 12345 6 south transiting through your airspace at 2000', something like that. You just stay on approach's frequency, and if they need to you to contact tower they'll tell ya.

I'll just say my intentions.

"NorCal Skylane 123XY will be crossing San Jose midfield."

Usually, I get handed off to SJC Tower well before that's a problem.

Taking off from Reid, I'll make sure Tower knows I'm blasting right into San Jose (I'll make it part of my departure request), because it's real close.

Excellent. I like the term "coordinated transition" and will use that if any clarification is needed if my path might be ambiguous at all. I knew it wasn't literally a "clearance" but wasn't quite sure how to call it since I obviously wouldn't be in "two way comms" with the tower. Thanks guys! Very helpful

When on flight following, if I am passing through class D, do I have to specifically ask to be cleared through it since I am not talking to that tower, or am I already cleared since I am in communications with the area's approach?

In this case, atc for flight following is class C and I am passing through a class D just outside the class C. Thanks!

Quoted from the controller's handbook:

"2-1-16. SURFACE AREAS
a. Coordinate with the appropriate nonapproach control tower on an individual aircraft basis before issuing a clearance which would require flight within a surface area for which the tower has responsibility unless otherwise specified in a letter of agreement.
REFERENCE-
FAAO JO 7210.3, Para 4-3-1, Letters of Agreement.
14 CFR Section 91.127, Operating on or in the Vicinity of an Airport in Class E Airspace.
P/CG Term- Surface Area.
b. Coordinate with the appropriate control tower for transit authorization when you are providing radar traffic advisory service to an aircraft that will enter another facility's airspace.
NOTE-
The pilot is not expected to obtain his/her own authorization through each area when in contact with a radar facility.
c. Transfer communications to the appropriate facility, if required, prior to operation within a surface area for which the tower has responsibility."

My emphasis.

Bob Gardner

Back