Flight cancelled due to wind - where can I get wind (and other) data?

Jack S

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jack
I'm just starting out as a student pilot and only have time to fly on the weekends. But during the last couple of weeks my instructor has cancelled the flying lesson due to strong winds (doesn't help that I'm flying the Evektor SportStar).

Does anyone know a good resource for wind (and other relevant data) for general aviation?

I found the wind rose chart on the NOAA web site but it doesn't look very user friendly...

I'm just starting out as a student pilot and only have time to fly on the weekends. But during the last couple of weeks my instructor has cancelled the flying lesson due to strong winds (doesn't help that I'm flying the Evektor SportStar).

Does anyone know a good resource for wind (and other relevant data) for general aviation?

I found the wind rose chart on the NOAA web site but it doesn't look very user friendly...
Is he canceling the day of? If so, he is probably just going by the METAR/TAF data. You can find that here:
https://aviationweather.gov/taf

I use https://maps.avnwx.com/ before almost every flight. It allows you to see the wind at your airport, and anywhere else around, as well as winds aloft and Airmets for turbulence. Type in your airport ID and distance that you want weather and click "Update Map". Then go to "Weather" in the upper left and select everything you want to see. I usually select: Airmets, METARS, PIREPS, Winds Aloft, TFRs, Stadium TFRs and NEXRAD Composite.

I use Aviation Weather iPhone app.
99b7382794b25e99d30af799ce9ee87d.png

Similar app, I use AeroWeather (Lite), which is free. Darn cheap pilots.

One of the nice things I like here is the Nearby option, which gives you everything close in a glance.

D500BB7F-2D61-45AC-B2EE-CDC7F882B6A0.png

As able, try to target a time of day where winds may be lighter. Of course with a front coming through it can be windy at all hours.

On the ‘average’ day, winds are lighter early morning and just before dark, highest mid day to late afternoon.

Another option is to fly to a nearby airport with a more favorable runway layout.

One can simply look at surrounding TAFs to get an idea of expected winds.

Similar app, I use AeroWeather (Lite), which is free. Darn cheap pilots.

I use the same app, and really like it. Because I’m a rich pilot, I decided to splurge and spend the $1.99 (or whatever) to remove the ads. Baller!

I am going to polite but hard on you.

How many flights have you actually taken to this point?
If the answer is 3 or less, I am just ranting. :D:D

If it is more...

GTFOOH. For real?

Look up the TAF for the area you are flying in.
https://aviationweather.gov/adds/

There are a literal ****-ton of apps and websites that cover this in spades.

The suggestion about about doing a ground lesson should immediately include weather sources...

Apparently you haven't studied for your knowledge test. But METARs are found even on most generic websites like weatherunderground. If you're @ a field that has an ATIS, there is usually a phone number you can call.

Plug your location into weather.gov, hit the "hourly weather forecast" link, and look at the surface wind meteogram. Flying light sports becomes much less fun when gusts are forecast.
Plotter.png

Some LSAs, such as the Skycatcher that I’m aware of, have a maximum wind operation limit in the POH of something like 20-25 kts. It’s not hard to find winds aloft of that speed, so its a serious equipment limitation. That could be your issue, but just speculating.

Perhaps, and this is a serious suggestion, the next time a flight is canceled for winds you can do a ground lesson to learn about weather reporting tools and considerations.

It's doubtful he's pulling the wind story out of his butt.

^This all day long

Some LSAs, such as the Skycatcher that I’m aware of, have a maximum wind operation limit in the POH of something like 20-25 kts. It’s not hard to find winds aloft of that speed, so its a serious equipment limitation. That could be your issue, but just speculating.

That restriction applies to surface winds because of the light wing loading and the lack of travel in the Skycatcher's rudder. The things is kite and very tricky to handle in high winds close to the ground. Winds aloft, the plane doesn't much care.

That restriction applies to surface winds because of the light wing loading and the lack of travel in the Skycatcher's rudder. The things is kite and very tricky to handle in high winds close to the ground. Winds aloft, the plane doesn't much care.

Seems more reasonable, although the wording in the POH is kind of vague

You can also text the 4-letter airport identifier to 714-352-4346 and get the current METAR & TAF (if there is one) sent back to you by text.

That is cool. You can send multiples and get back multiple responses in the same text.

Data appears to be the same as what Aeroweather reports.

Jack,
This has proven to be accurate and easy to interpret for wind

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?Submit=Go&sta=KJKA&state=AL

upload_2018-10-5_15-17-16.png

Ground ops 22 knot max with demonstrated cross wind of 12 knots.

There's a reference in the POH for 'Max wind velocity all operations' of 22 knots. I'm not sure if I've been up with winds at or above that speed. I do know that the flight center grounds the Skycatcher at 20 knot ground winds. I've landed with about 11 knots cross wind and it was a lot of work. I think I have a better handle on cross wind landings and did one the other day at about 10 knots that went well (switched from crab-and-stab to a side slip to the runway...way less work!).

Another Windy.com user.

My instructor used to say, "It is do windy to fly dual but you can fly solo if you want." :)

I really like the app I got called "TAKEOFF", you can set your preferences and you'll get yellow/red notices so at a glance you can tell what's going on. It also grabs the details from all the area fields, etc. There's lots of good apps and sites out there, find one YOU like.

Back