Flight bag suggestions please!

dwalt

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DWalt
I've decided it's time to stop carrying my gear in the Jeppesen bag that my PPL books came in when I was doing my training. Something I could get embroidered would be cool, but not a must.

Any PIREPS are appreciated!

"I use the Maratac bags
http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

I find then to be the perfect size, they have the easy access flashlight tube pocket, radio pockets, super tuff (big YKK zippers and the handle materieal goes all the way around the bottom). They also have Velcro on the front for a name patch. For 20% the price of the others you get much more bag."

That looks like a very functional bag, I dont see where the charts or the knee board, unless it is in the center. Do they get lost in stuff in the middle.
I really like the lay out.
thanks for sharing, and the cost is very affordable :yes:

Charts fit great in the middle (which has a adjustible divider), as would a knee board if your into those things ;)

Haven't had much get lost, know where everything is by feel and not much moves.

I keep a GPS, NAV/COM, pen, lead holder, ruler, protractor, e6b, poh, note pad, surefire flash light, extra AAs, leatherman and benchmade knife, sectional, WAC, terminal and a few plates, pass port, deck of cards for weather, used to carry my old logbook (new one is digital), head set adapter for nav/com. 12v adapter for gps charger. In the backcountry I could also fit my 5" 2011 pistol.

It still has room to spare.

Charts fit great in the middle (which has a adjustible divider), as would a knee board if your into those things ;)

Haven't had much get lost, know where everything is by feel and not much moves.

I keep a GPS, NAV/COM, pen, lead holder, ruler, protractor, e6b, poh, note pad, surefire flash light, extra AAs, leatherman and benchmade knife, sectional, WAC, terminal and a few plates, pass port, deck of cards for weather, used to carry my old logbook (new one is digital), head set adapter for nav/com. 12v adapter for gps charger. In the backcountry I could also fit my 5" 2011 pistol.

It still has room to spare.

Ditto. Just bought mine.

LAPDGear has a $20 or a $30 bag that will hold everything you need with plenty of pockets. Of course, if you want it to be $100 more, buy it from an aviation shop and have less pockets :)

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

The larger $30 model may be better for a lot of IFR charts, etc.. Both will hold an Ipad and a handgun on the inside :)

Ordering the LAPD bag now. $20 is better than the cheapo bags at walmart. It even has a pocket for a gatorade bottle.

Publix bag. Everything else stays in the plane anyway.

I love my brightline bag! But for short flights, I just bring my headset case. It's big enough to hold my wallet, sunglasses and logbook. It doesn't hold the kneeboard though.

Ordering the LAPD bag now. $20 is better than the cheapo bags at walmart. It even has a pocket for a gatorade bottle.

Its a good bag, and if it doesn't work out for flying.. It was $20 and will work as a workout bag, range bag, hold crap in the trunk of my car bag,, etc...

I think I posted this in the other thread recently about flight bags (and I realize this probably won't be popular with the majority of the posters on this forum... men) but here is some balance for the women pilots here:

http://www.snaptotes.com/Products/Classic-C333/Classic-Tote-P3336.html

This is what I'm using and I think it's great because why look like everyone else at the airport with your Brightline or Sporty's black or gray flight bag?! (Not that they aren't sharp-looking or super-functional, because they are) but why not be an original with your bag?! You can personalize this with a photo (or two) of your airplane or favorite airport or fly-to vacation location. It has three compartments, including a padded one for your iPad and plenty of extra room for charts, kneeboard, logbook, water bottle, or whatever plus an attached key fob for airplane and hangar keys. Love it! :yes:

That bag looks Girly

That's true... but I did say that this probably wouldn't work for most of the pilot population here. Notice I did refrain from posting my other favorite bag website originally, but as long as we're going with the "girly" comment...

http://www.verabradley.com/

Now, this is girly! :D And BTW... the new "Dogwood" pattern blends very well if you just happen to have a black or gray flight bag you're already using. Just sayin'.

Well, if you buy the aviation bag from Sporties.. They enter you to win a drawing for a plane...

My Brightline should be arriving soon. Chanukah is right around the corner. Can not wait!

Last edited:
I used to use an empty aeroshell box but I got a lot of strange looks. So now I use an empty phillips XC box.

Mine Brightline should be arriving soon. Chanukah is right around the corner. Can not wait!

You'll enjoy it. It ended my 30+ year quest for the "perfect" flight bag. Tried just about everything along the way.

You'll enjoy it. It ended my 30+ year quest for the "perfect" flight bag. Tried just about everything along the way.

Check Ride Next weekend. Hopefully, I will be enjoying it as a Private Pilot.

My Brightline should be arriving soon. Chanukah is right around the corner. Can not wait!

My Chanukah present (and birthday in Jan) is the same as last year - engine overhaul.

As for a flight bag, depends. Most of the stuff stays in the airplane. I've got a gadget bag that holds the iPad, glasses, water bottle, wallet, & phone perfectly. Two flight bags, neither of which were bought as flight bags. One is my old Eagle Creek bag that holds all charts & such. The other is a $25 backpack from Target.

When flying back and forth to the beach, I use them for luggage as well!:D since I quit carrying paper charts, I just take me iPad to and from the plane and the 396 I put in the 182 for trips.:D

My Chanukah present (and birthday in Jan) is the same as last year - engine overhaul.

As for a flight bag, depends. Most of the stuff stays in the airplane. I've got a gadget bag that holds the iPad, glasses, water bottle, wallet, & phone perfectly. Two flight bags, neither of which were bought as flight bags. One is my old Eagle Creek bag that holds all charts & such. The other is a $25 backpack from Target.

publix_green_bag-Web200.jpg

LOL on the Publix bag. I think a lot depends on the stuff you have to carry around when you go to fly. If you have more storage space at your hangar or keep most of your stuff in your plane the size and function of your flight bag might change accordingly. I looked at the Brightline bag and could see myself hunting for something in one of those thousand little zippered pockets for 15 minutes and then finally giving up. :rolleyes2: Sometimes, less is more!

Last edited:

That's a nice gift, if someone is paying for your overhaul. However, it is a nice gift to someone you are paying to perform your overhaul.

Well, if you buy the aviation bag from Sporties.. They enter you to win a drawing for a plane...

The Sporty's bag isn't great. I have the big Deluxe one, and the top zippers are both separating from the outer shell of the bag. I've had it for about 6-7 years. Looking for a new one.

Might take a look at brightline...I can't stand my Sporty's VFR flight bag.

The Sporty's bag isn't great. I have the big Deluxe one, and the top zippers are both separating from the outer shell of the bag. I've had it for about 6-7 years. Looking for a new one.

Interesting. I've got the Sporty's bag and have been shlepping it around for about 11-12 years. It's holding up fine for me. But, you may use yours more than I do. It is showing its age in some ways, but immediate failure does not appear to be a worry at this time.

Now, if I were looking for a new bag, Brightline would be high on the consideration list. Really high.

And I thought I was the only one on the quest for the perfect flight bag! It sounds like you and I were on the same quest! I had gone through a bag a year for the first decade and started flying with a catalog case for the past 13. It was fine when I was hauling Jepps around. Now that the Jepps are gone and the iPad is in, I'm on the quest again.

I have been looking at the Brightline products. Pricey, but I like the configuration changes you can make. I watched the demo on the B10 but without seeing one with all my stuff in it, I'm not sure. That was always the problems with these bags. It fits everything, but that 1 thing you really want in your bag.

Or you fit everything but the handheld radio pocket is just a little too small...

I will give the Brightline another lookie... Thanks for the PIREP.

I have been using the Jeppesen Aviator bag for years and it's starting to show a little wear & tear so I've also been looking for a decent replacement.

8261804419_91357a709a_d.jpg

I really think that Brightline might actually be a great replacement option.

At least it's better than my Publix bag.:yesnod:

8261804743_34f63c8c06_n_d.jpg

Last edited:
Sportys flight gear bag......Can carry your headset and iPad in the main compartment. Back side of the bag has two pockets that you can slide your knee board in. Measures only 12”w x 5”l x 11”h overall.

flight+bag+3.jpg
flight+bag+3a.jpg

And I thought I was the only one on the quest for the perfect flight bag! It sounds like you and I were on the same quest! I had gone through a bag a year for the first decade and started flying with a catalog case for the past 13. It was fine when I was hauling Jepps around. Now that the Jepps are gone and the iPad is in, I'm on the quest again.

I have been looking at the Brightline products. Pricey, but I like the configuration changes you can make. I watched the demo on the B10 but without seeing one with all my stuff in it, I'm not sure. That was always the problems with these bags. It fits everything, but that 1 thing you really want in your bag.

Or you fit everything but the handheld radio pocket is just a little too small...

I will give the Brightline another lookie... Thanks for the PIREP.

The handheld radio pocket was actually a little too big...so I put other stuff in it, too. Love this bag...carries everything I've always wanted to carry but couldn't....then some. A CFI buddy had one and after looking it over grabbed one at OSH the following week. No regrets....34 year quest has ended!

I looked at the Brightline bag and could see myself hunting for something in one of those thousand little zippered pockets for 15 minutes and then finally giving up. :rolleyes2: Sometimes, less is more!

A place for everything and everything in its place! Saves rummaging around in the bottom of my old Publix bag! :wink2:

Back