Flight Bag Recommendations

rt4388

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rt4388
Looking to buy a nice flight bag I can keep for years to come. I would like for it to work for flight instructor flights as well as when I likely transition to the airlines in a year or two. I'm currently looking at Brightline bags, but I'm curious if anyone else has any other recommendations. I don't mind spending a bit of money if it is going to hold up and serve all of its purposes for years to come.

shopping
I bought a camera bag years ago and am still using it. Cheap $20. Something to get you started maybe.

As a CFI you are not going to walk a large bag back and forth across the ramp all day.

As a CFI you are not going to walk a large bag back and forth across the ramp all day.
Yea, I'm not looking for anything like the size of a suitcase. Just something thats a decent size to throw iPad, headset, charts, handheld radio, maybe lunch, and some paperwork into. I've been using a bookbag since day one of pilot training, but I think tossing my new headset (the government just sent me my money back) into the book bag may beat it up. That's also why I like brighten so far because I can add to it if I ever need more stuff.

Yea, I'm not looking for anything like the size of a suitcase. Just something thats a decent size to throw iPad, headset, charts, handheld radio, maybe lunch, and some paperwork into. I've been using a bookbag since day one of pilot training, but I think tossing my new headset (the government just sent me my money back) into the book bag may beat it up. That's also why I like brighten so far because I can add to it if I ever need more stuff.

Real world, just take your headset, a iPad in a case that has a little note pad and pen attached to it and that's that. You really don't need anything else.

Real world, just take your headset, a iPad in a case that has a little note pad and pen attached to it and that's that. You really don't need anything else.
Ehhhh. I’m not sure it’s that simple though. I mean, sure, but toss in a water bottle, some foggles (students will forget theirs), an iPad charger, portable battery (cause I’m not trusting an EFB unless I have a backup plan), some paperwork, all the checklists for the three different types of airplanes I may be in, and other one-off items and I definitely need a bag. If I had an office where I could regroup after every flight I would agree. But I’m often stepping out of one airplane and stepping right into the next one... thinking about it, I don’t think I’ve ever seen an instructor simply walk out with a headset, pen, paper, and iPad. Maybe it’s doable though...

I fly the CRJ-900. I have the contrail FL390 bag and it fits very nicely in flight case compartment on the side. Very nice bag to have, i've been very happy with it.

Edit: If you need something smaller, another popular choice is the luggage works "Stealth flight cube"

I use an Eddie Bauer daypack. Has a separate thin padded compartment for the iPad, enough room for two headsets & more if necessary, lots of small exterior pockets to keep pens, pencils, notepads, extra batteries, chargers separated and easy to find + holds the water bottle. Compact and easy to toss/store in the plane. I sling it over my shoulder so I am hands free on the ramp. Lasts nearly forever - I just replaced mine after 25 years because the strap webbing was shot.

Might not be "professional enough" for airline jet jockeys though. ;)

Last edited:
Ehhhh. I’m not sure it’s that simple though. I mean, sure, but toss in a water bottle, some foggles (students will forget theirs), an iPad charger, portable battery (cause I’m not trusting an EFB unless I have a backup plan), some paperwork, all the checklists for the three different types of airplanes I may be in, and other one-off items and I definitely need a bag. If I had an office where I could regroup after every flight I would agree. But I’m often stepping out of one airplane and stepping right into the next one... thinking about it, I don’t think I’ve ever seen an instructor simply walk out with a headset, pen, paper, and iPad. Maybe it’s doable though...

Much to do with the experience level of the CFI and the level of the rental place.

Foggles really are standard equipment for a serious rental plane, should have some small sort in the glove box or something, if the students doesn't like those it's on them to bring their preferred flavor.

Checklists, I will not rent a aircraft from someone who doesn't have a checklist in the plane, further more if I don't see a checklist in a plane it would be a serious red flag as to how the aircraft is cared for and what type of yahoo is flying it. A checklist lives in the airplane. I do keep a copy on my iPad for briefing purposes though.

iPad charger/battery, frankly I've not had a fully charged iPad not outlast my max duty day, ofcourse I don't need to leave the screen on all the time no need to.

Plus you should be briefing, debriefing and filling out log books, so tossing your iPad/phone on a charger in the FBO/office/hangar/shack/whatever while you tend to those required duties is a option if needed, if you're just jumping from plane to plane and not briefing/debriefing/filling out the log, you're not doing your duty as a CFI properly. Same with a water bottle, I just never needed to carry one around flying, not even when I was doing full day DZ ops, not like I'm working out or hiking, again between fueling and briefing and log books take a swig of water.

When I did my ATP with ATP Inc (not my first choice) the young CFI had a full on backpack on, like a high schoolers backpack and it was full, of what I have no idea, when we got in the plane I felt like I was flying him to school or something.

It is doable to walk around with a headset and something like a lap desk/clipboard w/ storage/etc. Most of the instructors I've flown with over the years used little more than that. Occasionally I've flown with one who brought a slightly bigger bag and carried all the endorsement stickers, foggles, gadgets, etc. they might want. I think that you'll generally find that the students will bring most of the stuff you need to have for a lesson.

Bag style and design are so personal that it's hard to follow others' preferences without some more info on what you like. Personally, the brightline stuff is far too organized for my tastes. There's like 100 different pockets in a small bag. I like a little organization, but not too much. I've been looking at just about every alternative to an expensive flight bag I can find, but haven't found anything that was good enough or cheap enough to do it for me.

The one that seems to work for me is leather and expensive. http://www.lightspeedaviation.com/Flight_Bags/subgrouping.htm?cat=35619 Fortunately, I have a fiancee who makes pretty good money and likes to buy me nice things :D

The best selection of purpose-designed flight bags is at My Pilot Store. Check out the medium sized bag selection: http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/secp/14

I have 3:
A DC headset bag for my headset. It's got 3 small pockets for pens, a spare set of glasses, and my kneeboard.
https://www.amazon.com/David-Clark-...25026649&sr=8-4&keywords=aviation+headset+bag
I have a small ASA Pilot Briefcase that I have my Yaesu 750, my GoPro and accessories and GAT, small survival kit, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/ASA-43302562...id=1525026027&sr=8-10&keywords=asa+flight+bag
I also have a FlightGear backpack with my more navigation intensive stuff.
Depending on what I'm flying, and what the mission is, I move stuff around between the bags.
http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/flight-gear-hp-tailwind-backpack.html
My "system" works well for me.

Last edited:
Swiss gear laptop bag serves me very well. And all of $40 from Walmart

Student pilot.....
huge-backpack.jpg

ATP..
th

I use the smallest and least costly roller suitcase I could find at Walmart.... I have used it for 7 years now.

That seems to sum up the flight bag and flight gear progression well...

I use a simple backpack to carry my headset, iPad, and a mini legal pad clipboard. The only reason I even use the backpack at all is because I ride my motorcycle to the airport every single day, and refuse to leave my stuff overnight at the FBO. The backpack remains in the airport terminal building while I'm out flying, then I put my stuff back in it and go home.

I fit my A20s in their case, backup radio, Galaxy Tablet, charger, head lamp, mini flashlight, checklists, 4 paper charts, big paper log book (I know, I know, leave it at home), E6B, plotter, an ASA kneeboard and more in a Red Oxx Gator bag. Unlimited lifetime warranty. It is a bag I already owned and repurposed.

Last edited:

Yup, I sure do. Not a big bag but large enough to carry my materials, syllabus, foggles, and headset.

Did you have a backpack in school? That's good enough.

Back