Flew to Falmouth Airpark 5b6

Justin M

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JM
Hi.

My Darling suggested that my older brother would like to visit our uncle who lives in Falmouth, about 15 minute drive from the Falmouth Airpark (5B6). So we piled into the 182 and flew along the Connecticut coast. It was a beautiful day to fly.

The Falmouth Airpark, MA (5B6) is south of the Coast Guard Station on Cape Cod. Runway 7 is RP to stay out of the delta. The runway is 2000 feet long and 40 feet wide, and the wind is impacted by the surrounding trees.

In the summer, I've found 5B6 tough to find, but on President's Day, it was the brown patch in the midst of the green trees and easier for me to spot.

On arrival, i was too fast and high so decided a go-around was the right choice.

While there, we had lunch and then walked around "Little Island," within walking distance of his home. We watched a wind surfer in the inner bay. It looked pretty cold for wind surfing.

As I was preflighting prior to departure, two wonderful people walked up. They knew my chief pilot. She said "I've flown that 182. It was painted brown then (it's green now). Please say hi to Len." Then we chatted and compared notes about the planes in the club that they knew and had flown. "I have a Mooney now" he said.

That was awesome.

On the flight home, NY Approach cleared me into the Bravo at 5500. "Expect lower" he said. I had planed to fly north of the Bravo and approach from the North West, but getting cleared meant I cut the corner and flew direct to Morristown, NJ (MMU).

Photo of Little Island.

upload_2020-2-29_8-6-30.png

My summer flights are to fly around the coast of the cape, looking for sharks. Then maybe dinner and catching a cape league baseball game.

Can't wait to fly there this year. Thank you for the report.

Flew in several times over the years. Just don’t fly there overloaded. One time I flew in with wife and teenage girls in my Archer with some extra baggage for the weekend visiting friends. The temperature was fairly warm on the day of departure with not much wind. Boy did I work the numbers all afternoon, got rid of most of my baggage, and left effectively after the airport was officially closed to get lower temps. Best short field takeoff over those trees, but not good on my part.
Now, I always pick Hyannis even though it’s a bit out of the way.

Back