Flew the 152 solo today

jspilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
jspilot
So I have about 150 hours now and all but 10 or so in a 172. I'd been checked out in a 152 but always thought they were small and not really my thing. Well today I went up in one solo after a short re-currency in the 152 flight and I honestly loved the plane! Flying the little thing without someone next to me made a huge difference! The plane leaped off the ground and climbed out nicely. It's a dream to land and fly. Best part is, the hourly rate is 120 per hour for a 1978 152 with a GPS on board. That's like 35 bucks an hour cheaper than the 172 I've been flying.

I think I found a new little friend!

Good for you ,I always enjoyed the 152 whenever I was alone.

I like the C-152 too (but I haven't got many choices!) Unless I expect some significant headwind, have a passenger with baggage, or need longer range, I always fly a C-152 over the C-172s that I can rent. The bulk of my flying has been in a C-152. It costs me $85/hr for a C-152 vs $115 for a C-172, so the still-air per mile cost is also cheaper in the C-152. No GPS in the C-152, though.

$120/hr for a 152?!?!?! Does it have an IO-720???

Well around here in my area planes are very expensive to rent. Just the way it is. 120 per hour is cheap, believe me! :)

enjoy it flying solo! thats pretty much all that can fit. its a great time builder. you're from KFRG right? what place do you rent from?

The real question is, do you have a spin endorsement?

Yikes! I get a 152 for $65 (hobbs, wet) plus monthly dues.

But, yes, I flew almost exclusively a 172 and finally getting into a 152 again since my pre-private days has reminded me also how much fun that can be. Flies almost like a very light 172 without the fuel burn.

Last edited:
152 here goes for $86 wet. I love that little plane, it's what I used for my first 45-ish hours of training before switching to the 172. My favorite part about the 152 is it's so light on the controls, you can fly it with one fingertip all day long.

Hey guys. Yeah I agree it flies exactly like a 172. Heck the speeds are virtually the same, rotate at 55 instead of 60 and so forth. The instructor I flew with said that the 152 has the same wing length as the 172 so that's why the control inputs required are much less. Since the plane weighs less, the wing is much more effective!

Yeah no spin endorsement- aerobatics are not really my thing yet.

Yeah guys I fly out of Islip. I rent from the same place I got my PPL from, Heritage Flight Academy. Top notch group they have over there. No reason to go elsewhere as of now. Now don't you all go reserve this 152 on the weekends now please. ;)

Last edited:
I'm 6'1 and around 215. My 150 is tight with an instructor, but that thing is so much fun to fly. Until I have kids, and the wife joins me more than once every 6 months, I'm going to keep it for a long time.

You're triggering distant memories of my early training. A whopping 8 months ago. :D I'm 6'2" 235 and my CFI was FAA standard so almost all of my time has been in a 172. However, the trusty 172 was down for repairs for a week or two right about time for me to solo, so my first solo was in a 152. I remember thinking the 152 was a lot more responsive and, therefore, a bit easier to fly than the 172.

I've continued to rent and fly the 172 (as well as a Cherokee) but haven't flown the 152 again since I soloed. I think I need to fly somewhere solo in the 152.

So I have about 150 hours now and all but 10 or so in a 172. I'd been checked out in a 152 but always thought they were small and not really my thing. Well today I went up in one solo after a short re-currency in the 152 flight and I honestly loved the plane! Flying the little thing without someone next to me made a huge difference! The plane leaped off the ground and climbed out nicely. It's a dream to land and fly. Best part is, the hourly rate is 120 per hour for a 1978 152 with a GPS on board. That's like 35 bucks an hour cheaper than the 172 I've been flying.

I think I found a new little friend!

152 was a blast to fly. the airplane I soloed in and took my SEL practical in is based at my home field, but is not in flying condition. If it wasn't going to cost so much to fix it I might buy it and fly it some. It was a great flyer.

152 was a blast to fly. the airplane I soloed in and took my SEL practical in is based at my home field, but is not in flying condition. If it wasn't going to cost so much to fix it I might buy it and fly it some. It was a great flyer.

Is that the blue and white one on the tiedowns on ASI's side in awful, awful shape (flat tires, etc.)?

Yes, 757HJ

Sometime after I took my practical in it, someone ran out of juice and landed it in a field. It flipped over and was half moon repaired.

The owner wants it fixed but doesn't want to pay what is has been estimated to cost and the FAA has ASI on notice to tell them if they ever see it fly.

At least that is the story I get.

I think at lease one wing needs to be replaced and some work on the tail.

Yeah, I'd believe that story given how it looks when I roll past it.

If it needs work on a wing and the tail, ASI might not have to bother telling the FAA that it's flown - the NTSB might get to 'em first. I don't see anybody surreptitiously working on her when she's sitting on the tiedowns...

I did 90% of my training in a 150, then bought one as a first airplane. Mine had the optional child jump seat and three of us flew it all over Mo, Ar and Ok. I am 6'2 210, the wife 100lbs and the boy at the time was 50lbs. The only time it concerned me was taking off from Gastons Resort in June with DA of 3000'

Back