Flew first solo IFR flight today

snoboy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
snoboy
I took my first solo IFR flight today. I flew my wife and nephew IFR up to Orcas Island today. It was a really nice day with scattered puffys. As we got further north we started punching in and out of the puffys which was incredible doing it solo finally, it's absolutely what it's all about. The autopilot took us right onto the RNAV/A approach to runway 34 East Sound where we were able to hit a couple puffys leaving me flying soley by reference to instruments ah ah I've scored an approach. We had an uneventful landing and parked the plane. We had a nice walk into town and decided to eat at the Madrona Bar and Grill where we were able to get an outside table right over the water. The flight home was very relaxing with no IMC at all. We remained VMC and I flew the RNAV Y 16 approach into Renton with a Circle to Land 34. Another uneventful landing and a very successful flight. My wife really enjoyed the flight and is looking forward to our flight to Cali in 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Fun, isn't it? I hope you get some chances this summer for hard IFR to maintain proficiency. I learned this winter how quickly the rust sets in, when the most I could do with my ticket for 3 months was punch through thin layers, for fear of ice.

One thing in your writeup I don't quite understand though...
I took my first solo IFR flight today. I flew my wife and nephew IFR up to Orcas Island today. It was a really nice day with scattered puffys. As we got further north we started punching in and out of the puffys which was incredible doing it solo finally, it's absolutely what it's all about. The autopilot took us right onto the RNAV/A approach to runway 34 East Sound where we were able to hit a couple puffys leaving me flying soley by reference to instruments ah ah I've scored an approach. We had an uneventful landing and parked the plane. We had a nice walk into town and decided to eat at the Madrona Bar and Grill where we were able to get an outside table right over the water. The flight home was very relaxing with no IMC at all. We remained IMC and I flew the RNAV Y 16 approach into Renton with a Circle to Land 34. Another uneventful landing and a very successful flight. My wife really enjoyed the flight and is looking forward to our flight to Cali in 2 weeks.
How could you remain IMC if there was no IMC at all? :dunno:

Oops I meant VMC. Thanks for pointing that out. I really believe you when you say the rust can set in quick. I think it'll take discipline to get the flights in when weather permits in the winter, basically getting out to do the preflighting when it's cold and rainy is what makes me procrastinate.

Last edited:
This is a nice time of year to get some actual when the thunder boomers aren't popping. Wet windshields are good!

Sounds good. That's what the rating is for. Now, if someone wanted me to fly across the state in the clag I'd drive instead. Too much like work. But, get through a layer? BTDT and it works great. Glad you had a good trip on Saturday.

Congratulations!

Reminds me of my first solo in IMC 30 years ago! From KFIT to KCXY. I'll never forget it -- it was an experience that surpassed even my first solo around the patch!

For me the instrument ticket has made cross country travel practical. My wife was a nervous flyer until I got the instrument rating.

Suggestion for staying current in the winter. Flying solo approaches in VFR (without hood obviously), exercises 80% of the skills required in IMC. The winter rust will shed much easier and faster when 80% of what you need already comes easily. Or better get a safety pilot and use the hood. .

Congratulations!

Reminds me of my first solo in IMC 30 years ago! From KFIT to KCXY. I'll never forget it -- it was an experience that surpassed even my first solo around the patch!

For me the instrument ticket has made cross country travel practical. My wife was a nervous flyer until I got the instrument rating.

Suggestion for staying current in the winter. Flying solo approaches in VFR (without hood obviously), exercises 80% of the skills required in IMC. The winter rust will shed much easier and faster when 80% of what you need already comes easily. Or better get a safety pilot and use the hood. .

Very achievable advice. I believe my wife enjoyed this IFR flight more than all the VFR flights. I'm taking my wife and nephew on a 600 miler to Napa in 2 weeks so I'm crossing my fingers that it goes well and boosts her interest in flying. I'm going to make sure and get her as close as I can safely and legally get to the Golden Gate Bridge for some pictures . She just bought a new camera.

Congrats. I love flying IMC.

Reminds me of my instrument checkride....was an IMC day and the DE was at an airport about 30 minutes from home base. My CFI flew with me up there (BED to MHT) and jumped out...he had a ride home scheduled with another student, so if I hadn't passed, I was stuck there until the weather improved!

Back