Flew a Hero

maddog52

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
maddog52
Was priviledged to fly this gentleman from KBOI to KORD last week. Major Bernie Fisher, USAF. We were loading up when a retired AF chaplain recognized him in the gate area and mentioned his name to our flight attendant and the fact that he was a MOH winner. She mentioned it to me and I recognized the name but couldn't remember the circumstnces of his MOH at the time. You can read about him here. http://www.skyraider.org/skyassn/fisher/fishermoh.htm

The captain let me make an announcement at level off and Bernie got a huge round of applause from the whole plane. I only got to briefly say hello after landing. He's getting up there in years, and in a wheelchair, but you could tell there was someone very special behind those eyes. It made my my day.

bfisher.gif

Their generation is getting old and we are losing them... It is great that some folks still recognize these special people...

denny-o

Oh man...that is so cool! Bernie Fisher's Skyraider is on display at the AF Museum in Dayton, and in the gallery there is a painting of the rescue he did that won him the CMOH. We saw the painting first, and when I came around the corner and saw the plane, and realized it was the same one in the painting, I really choked up. It was an incredible act of bravery.

All I can say is "Cool!" We need to honor the heroes while we can, and hope that there's no need for more (though there always seems to be).

taking the 5 min to read about him was worth it! i couldnt get the audio tape to work though...

Unless that happened more than once, I've met him. AFROTC Dining In at Fairchild AFB when I was in college. One hell of a story. And one well earned medal.

Back