Flew a Citabria Today

Tex_Mike

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tex_MIKE
So I finally bit the bullet and started work on obtaining my tail wheel endorsement. I had a great time. Flew a 1995 Citabria. It was nice flying a plane that didn't have a consistent puke smell and wasn't all beat to hell by student pilots.

My instructor had me flying with my shoes off. Kinda caught me off guard but was a fun experience. She said I had to feel the plane and I just couldn't do that wearing heavy shoes.

Can't wait for the next lesson!:yes:

I like to fly sans shoes, but always am a little concerned about what would happen to my feet in the event of a fire. I guess you can overthink things, huh?

I like to fly sans shoes, but always am a little concerned about what would happen to my feet in the event of a fire. I guess you can overthink things, huh?

Funny- I have the same thought about fire. For the same reason I disallow my kids from wearing open toed shoes on commercial flights. Now who is the one over thinking!

I recently got my tailwheel endorsement in a Decathlon, closely related to the Citabria. Not sure what year the one I fly is, but after my endorsement I have been doing some aerobatics. I did my first loops the other day. Great fun. I probably have almost a minute of inverted time now. :D

I was a passenger in the Maldives in a Twin Otter Seaplane. Those pilots flew barefoot.

I almost always flew in sandals when I lived in florida. You will recognize the fire quicker!

That's not "overthinking", IMO. It's that little voice inside trying to tell you something you should listen to. Not only fire, but protection in the event of a mishap, say a nose-over, groundloop or something lie that. Lots of sharp objects down around your feet and they'll be leading the way to the accident. Must be a barnyard babe, used to running around the cowpies barefooted, the OP has for a CFI. :D

dtuuri

Funny- I have the same thought about fire. For the same reason I disallow my kids from wearing open toed shoes on commercial flights. Now who is the one over thinking!

On commercial flights?!

293574d1395773037-ive-read-lot-threads-here-degenerate-bickering-lighten-up-frances_t268.jpg

Well you could go with some high dollar auto racing shoes with a fire rating and thin souls.

Maybe I can start selling these with wings on them and charge even more than they do for racing. I don't know if that's possible as racing is one hobby that can give aviation competition in the dollar department.

Dan

I've flown in Vibram FiveFingers multiple times. Both commercial (easier to get on and off through security) and during lessons. Expected comments from my instructor but he didn't say anything.

Yes, I know a lot of people hate those things, but I hate flip-flops and I have to deal with seeing those a lot more than you have to deal with seeing Vibrams. :)

I fly my flybaby bare foot.

I fly my flybaby bare foot.

I saw this and had a vision of Jesse running down the runway with his bare feet sticking out the bottom of the Flybaby al la Fred Flintstone...:goofy:

To the OP; have fun with the TW training!

Chris

I know a few acro pilots who wear piloti racing shoes.

To me, the new age of low-profile running shoes work well enough... as do the good 'ol Converse Chuck Taylor's.

Any thin soled flexible shoe works great for learning. You will find after a few hundred hours of tailwheel time any shoe or boot will work. I've flown lots of airplane in Sorrels in the winter including the Pitts. I prefer a thin soled shoes when its warm enough. Don

Back