flap track replacement

obar11

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rex
Im having the flap tracks on both sides replaced and one flap reskinned. Can anyone give me how much time is involved and how much it will cost.

Im having the flap tracks on both sides replaced and one flap reskinned. Can anyone give me how much time is involved and how much it will cost.

On a Boeing 727? Which flap? At least 50 AMU

Tracks to hold mudflaps on pickup trucks are pretty cheap. I'm going to say about $30 a side.

Oh, you were talking about an airplane? ;)

Oh no messed up how about a 1973 cessna 172:hairraise:

Pain in the butt as getting to the flap tracks is a bit of a job. I haven't done it recently enough to give a good idea how much to expect however.

Don't know where you are, but if close enough for shipping not to be murder it is hard to beat Airframe Components by Williams for reskining control surfaces (not that a Cessna flap is murder to do however)

Thanks everyone, waiting for quote now.

Just got quote $7657.23 Has to reskin rh flap. Replace rt and left flap tracks and bushings. and Repair rh wing flap well area.:hairraise:

1/4th of the airframe's total value for a flap track repair. Wheeee! That's ugly, just thinking of it in those terms.

Maybe 1/5th?

(Note I said airframe, not aircraft.)

I have a hunch you could do much better by ferrying the airplane to a specialty shop and hitching a ride home. Keep shopping.

Or buy a servicable wing & flap​

Or buy a servicable wing & flap​

And that wing and flap will need work shortly, too, probably. Airplanes that get parted out are often in poor shape.

Cessna issued an SB way back in the '90s regarding those flaps. The rollers have sharp edges that can cut into the flap support arms, and if the cut gets deep enough a dime-sized piece punches out and jams the flap, wrecking both it and the flap tracks. McFarlane Aviation has had special STC'd parts to prevent this for 15 years, at least, but most owners either don't know about it or prefer to defer it until it gets really expensive. That's economy, see?

Dan

Just got quote $7657.23 Has to reskin rh flap. Replace rt and left flap tracks and bushings. and Repair rh wing flap well area.:hairraise:

Check Williams Airmotive in Indiana. They may already have wings and flaps in stock for your plane. If not, they can repair yours.

Check Williams Airmotive in Indiana. They may already have wings and flaps in stock for your plane. If not, they can repair yours.

I'm sure they have them, just can they beat that price?

R&R the wing, shipping, painting, rigging plus the cost of the wing...

Back