Flaky GPS Antenna

NealRomeoGolf

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
NRG
Do GPS antennas go bad? I'm trying to figure out if I have a software issue or a hardware issue.

Setup: FreeFlight Rangr ADS-B In/Out that includes a WAAS GPS antenna. No panel mounted GPS box. Wireless hookup from the FreeFlight to an iPad running FlyQ. iPad is Wifi only model (no internal GPS) and position source is dependent on ADS-B. If the plane type matters, it's a 1981 Piper Archer II

Two or three times I have launched into the clear blue skies with FlyQ saying that I'm in Africa. So the GPS is feeding it a 0,0 position, or else the software is messed up. I tried rebooting the iPad and that didn't seem to help initially. I then rebooted my ADS-B and nothing immediate happened either. Eventually FlyQ started to show my position, but very lagged and not moving. I have a second ADS-B map that FreeFlight puts out and I wish I had checked that as a diagnosis step. On my last trip, I shut down, got some doggies on board and then took back off. Everything was normal. It showed me where I was without any issue.

Anyway, do GPS antennas go bad? It's about 2 years old, if that helps.

Seal it good or water will get in and finish it off. Best to go a little overboard on the seal goop and keep the rain water out.

So what part of Africa are you flying out of?
If it does it to me tomorrow, I'll let you know. The FlyQ tech indicated it would be at Lat 0 and Lon 0 but that would put me in the ocean. Pretty sure I was over land the last time it happened.

Back