FL Beach landing

There are many airstrips close enough you can walk to the water. As far as actually landing on the sand itself, I've seen the ultralights do it on the smaller uninhabited islands but the legalities are still the question.

There are many airstrips close enough you can walk to the water. As far as actually landing on the sand itself, I've seen the ultralights do it on the smaller uninhabited islands but the legalities are still the question.
Not particularly germane to FL, but we've done it in a 172 in NZ! Fun!:yes:

As far as I know, the only legal place to land ON the beach is at copalis beach in Washington state. Pretty fun and easy... once you clear the "runway" of tourists, kids, dogs, etc.

Does anyone know if it's legal to land on FL beaches?

Good question, and I would imagine you have to call the state & municipality on whose beach you intend to land. There's no FAA rule prohibiting it, but there are turtle nesting issues and local issues to deal with.

Last edited:
As far as I know, the only legal place to land ON the beach is at copalis beach in Washington state. Pretty fun and easy... once you clear the "runway" of tourists, kids, dogs, etc.
In Alaska it is not only legal but extremely popular at most all shorelines and beaches.

Of course, Copalis Beach is a state airport and charted as such. I'd love to go there some time, but our club rules limit us to paved runways, so the wet sand is out. :(

Back