Fizzdo ride-along.

fiveoboy01

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dirty B
Who's experienced a FSDO inspector sitting in on a practical test? Oral/ride etc...?

Good, bad, ugly? No issue, or something to avoid?

Curious about those who have had this experience.

I've had a couple of them ride in the back seat in the sims while on a 135 check ride. Did everything I was supposed to do, no problem.

I have gone through it two times on 135 checkrides. You are not being double tested, he is there to check the examiner as he gives the check ride and oral. Nothing to worry about.

Who's experienced a FSDO inspector sitting in on a practical test? Oral/ride etc...?

I haven't, but I know someone who did. She was getting a CFI checkride and the person giving it was getting their checkride to be a DE. She does not have good things to say about the experience. I warned her about agreeing to do it. She went to a different DE from another FSDO and passed with flying colors a week or 2 later. My take on it was that the DE applicant is going to very tedious trying to impress their examiner. Kinda like I'll show you that I am not afraid to fail someone.

When did you find out about your additional passenger? Day of ride, or a few days prior? Did examiner ask you if you were OK with it, or was it more like...another examiner WILL be riding along?

Last edited:
I've known a couple of guys who have had a FSDO inspector ride along on their checkrides. One was a pass the other a fail. Both got the outcome they deserved, so I'd say that the designated examiner's decision was based on the applicant's performance and not on being observed by an inspector.

I had something like this way back (early 90's) on my commercial SEL ride. I'm deaf in one ear, and back then you had to get a SODA for being deaf in one ear for 2nd class medicals. I called the FSDO to schedule the SODA ride, and they called back a bit later saying "Have we got a deal for you! We've got a new inspector at the FSDO, and he needs to be checked out in BOTH giving SODA rides and in a Commercial checkride. You could have him do both, save the DPE fee, and the only thing that'd be different is the head of the FSDO would be in the back seat. What do you think?" Saving the money seemed like a good deal, so I said "Sure!"

After I hung up, the implications of the "in the airplane food chain" kind of sunk in: I'd be on the bottom.

That said, it ended up being a decent checkride. There was a little bit of the "impress the boss" syndrome early on, but the head of the FSDO got the inspector under control really quick. I can't remember how he did it (it was subtle and professional) but he tamped it down and the ride went on. I didn't do perfect, but passed.

This was the Seattle FSDO, and I can't quite remember the FSDO head's name -- something like Gardner or Gardiner rings a bell. Rock solid, good guy. Wish there were more of that kind of guy around.

--Tony

I did my IFR training in a 141 school and had a FSDO inspector replace the instructor for one lesson. It went well. I learned a thing or two from him and was complimented on what I thought was not a very good landing. It has been a long time ago but I think I remember being asked if I was OK with the switch.

No less than 8 or so here...mostly 135 rides where my boss was getting or renewing check airman authority. I drew the straw whether I needed the check ride or not. ;) I didn't have any issues, but they were the same Feds I took check rides with otherwise.

I had to go chew my boss a new one for some other issues after one ride, but I've never had one play "impress the Fed" on my check ride. I know it can happen, though. Keep in mind that if you see it going that way, YOU have the authority to discontinue the check ride.

Just make sure that if you use this as your reason for discontinuance it IS the examiner and not your performance that's to blame. Having unsatted a couple of applicants whose impression of their performance was dramatically different than mine (not observed, btw), I can say that the follow-up gets interesting.

When did you find out about your additional passenger? Day of ride, or a few days prior? Did examiner ask you if you were OK with it, or was it more like...another examiner WILL be riding along?

To clarify to the other posters, I already took a ride with an observer. The DPE said something about it prior to the test and didn't really say it was an option, but I didn't object.

In hindsight, I might object. I don't think it changed the outcome of the ride, but I do think it was a distraction I did not need.

I have taken a practical test with this examiner in the past. Based on that, I don't believe he changed his methods because the FAA rep was present.

I'm not venting or complaining, I am more curious what others' experiences are.

A couple of years ago I was asked if the FSDO could ride along during my IR checkride. The school said they picked me to ask because they thought I was a sure thing to pass regardless of the extra stress that I might have. I think that it was because I was one of the older students, by almost 20 years, and that I was always the last to arrive at the school because of work. I'm sure everybody else said no, not on your life! I agreed but after a couple of Washington weather delays I finally found a day with a good forecast and much to my disappointment, the inspector was going to be out of town. Oh well, the DPE and I had a good ride and I was a first time Go.

A couple of years ago I was asked if the FSDO could ride along during my IR checkride. The school said they picked me to ask because they thought I was a sure thing to pass regardless of the extra stress that I might have. I think that it was because I was one of the older students, by almost 20 years, and that I was always the last to arrive at the school because of work. I'm sure everybody else said no, not on your life! I agreed but after a couple of Washington weather delays I finally found a day with a good forecast and much to my disappointment, the inspector was going to be out of town. Oh well, the DPE and I had a good ride and I was a first time Go.

Your story sounds similar to mine. One of the applicants I mentioned in my last post was supposed to be me, and for the same reason. I missed the checkride because there was an earlier opening to get it done, which I took advantage of. The guy after me ended up being the one who won the lottery and got to do the ride with the DPE and the inspector. :)

Not sure if this counts, but a FSDO inspector sat in the right seat for my private check ride.

Yeah, I don't think I'd like that. In the majority of situations, I don't see stressing the flight examiner as a good thing.

This was the Seattle FSDO, and I can't quite remember the FSDO head's name -- something like Gardner or Gardiner rings a bell. Rock solid, good guy. Wish there were more of that kind of guy around.
Chauncey Gardiner, by any chance? ;)
Can't agree more, great guy, you might even say he could walk on water.

I had a FSDO inspector ride along for part of my ATP checkride, as detailed on my blog:

http://cfiruss.blogspot.com/2015/07/my-atp-checkride.html

I knew beforehand that he "might" want to come along, and it was my choice if I wanted to reschedule or not. I figured I was either ready for the test or I wasn't, and rescheduling would be inconvenient anyway, so of course I agreed.

Granted, the FSDO inspector was not on board the whole flight (see the blog) but the part he was on, it was no factor. He did get involved in the oral a bit, but only because we were trying to figure out how to get him on the ride given the weight and performance calculations involved (mostly accelerate-go distance). I got the opportunity to re-run the weight and balance figures about 3 times during the oral trying different solutions.

Mostly on the ground and in the air, he just sat there quietly and observed.

Back