Fixing an old Weber kettle grill

And done... for now.

I came to the realization that what I listed were not options but rather a sequence. If this doesn't hold, then I'll be pulling a pop rivet. If that doesn't work then it's a time for new grill.

IMG_1561.jpg

Welp, another one just fell off. Only 1 more to go. And the original repair is still holding after <checks posting date> 6.5 years. Glad I posted here for documentation's sake. Now if only I had posted the dimensions of the bolt... :(

Get a clevis pin from a farm or hardware store. Adjust the depth with washers, use a cotter pin as a mechanical fastener instead of a nut. Grill some steaks.

An old thread brought back to life for good reasons.

Great repair, good as new, or better. No unnecessary trash in the landfill, and the "new grill" functions exactly as the old one did.

One less import from China, too.

Get a clevis pin from a farm or hardware store. Adjust the depth with washers, use a cotter pin as a mechanical fastener instead of a nut. Grill some steaks.
Ooh, glad I necro-posted. How hard is it to get that stuff in stainless steel?

Ooh, glad I necro-posted. How hard is it to get that stuff in stainless steel?
Common stuff. If you don't want to stack washers, use a short stainless spring.

Last edited:
Decided to go with a wing nut & jam nut instead. For future reference, in case any one else needs to know and because I have 1 more on the original attachment, the bolt was 1/4 x 3/4.

And yet again, I had to drill out the old rivet.

IMG_2970.png

Back