Fixing an ipad; like giving a cat a haircut

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
When I used to own a veterinary hospital,we hated giving cats a haircut. Nobody was ever happy. It was either very dangerous and people and cats got hurt, or it was so expensive that everyone complained to anyone that would listen. I can't tell you how many times someone would say "I can get my dog bathed and trimmed for $20, but you want $150 for the same thing!". That was usually followed up with my favorite "you are only in it for the money". Yeah, right. I would bite my tongue, but I always thought, "yeah, but you can tell a dog to lie down and spray him with a hose and he will wag his tail and lick you; try THAT with a cat".

Then they would say, I can buy a pair of shears for $20 and do it myself. OK! We will even give you some free advice (besides don't do it). Those people invariably came back later looking like they went through a meat grinder, and the cat was almost as bad,with bleeding cuts all over and missing body parts (usually nipples or parts of toes or ears). At that point, they were usually happy to pay us whatever we asked. And it was usually more because we often had to stitch the cat. I could give hundreds of hilarious (to me) stories about that.

As for the $150, that was cheap. It either took two technicians about an hour and a half to do the job, (not to mention the time we had to put the cat back in the cage to calm down for a while before continuing), Or we had to have doctor sedate the cat and then reverse the sedation. And because so many pet die under sedation because of cutting corners, we always blood test cats prior to sedation to make sure there are no underlying conditions to preclude sedation. So it gets expensive, even though "it is just a cat".

Then there is me. I am just as bad as my cat clients.

I have an old Ipad 1 that I keep by the bed and use as a Kindle reader. I have learned to love reading books on my Ipads and Iphones using various electronic readers like Kindle. If I am waiting at the barber shop, or waiting in the car for my wife to come out of a store, or sitting in the living room, I can pick up my reading where ever I stopped on whatever device is closeste to me and begin reading on another device, without having to get up and go find the book. Plus, I can read free library books without having to worry what those brown, red and sticky spots are between the pages.

But last week, I dropped my old Ipad 1 and found that it costs around $120 to replace the screen. I doubt an old Ipad 1 is worth that much, but I also found I could buy a new screen and replace it myself for about $14. I can do that.

No I can't. It isn't NEAR as EASY as the video makes it look. After about an hour, I dumped the whole thing (broken glass and tiny glass shards and an tiny screws and all the rest) into a plastic bag and said good bye. I wasn't about to take the pieces into the fix-it shop and admit my screwup.

Now, I just have to find out the best way to dispose of that toxic mess. And I'll have to find a different bedside reader. I think I have an old Iphone lying around somewhere that will work as a reader.

Whelp, you have me convinced!

1. Outsource cat bathing, and
2. Pay a professional to replace ithingie screens!

Easy-peasie, lol

Cats don’t shed hairs that get too long? Their follicles don’t undergo cyclic degeneration?

Cats don’t shed hairs that get too long? Their follicles don’t undergo cyclic degeneration?
There are longhair cats where, especially toward the rear, a lot of extra hair becomes a trap for umm... certain things... which then get dropped at other locations.

Shedding is the main reason people want their long hair cats bathed and shaved. Also, this is Florida, and people like to anthropomorphize about their cats (it's hot and I'm hot, so my long hair cat must be hot). So they want their cat to lose their "coat" in the summer.

I have never shaved my long hair cats and they still like to lay in the sun when I am broiling.

Here you go...

a9e5c322133c3a9ca5e80305803b5b9b--shaving-cat-grooming.jpg

i loved my long haired cats,, 3 persians...

but never did that,,,, this not just wrong,,, it i Really WRONG!!

Cue Nate...

The iPad 1 was easy. LOL. But I wasn’t going to say anything. Especially since most strip mall repair places will do that replacement for another $20 above the screen. 15 minutes, out the door.

The iPad 1 was easy. LOL. But I wasn’t going to say anything. Especially since most strip mall repair places will do that replacement for another $20 above the screen. 15 minutes, out the door.
The mall here has a booth that wanted $85 bucks, and for another $60 they would have replaced the battery while it was there. But it is a spare, and an ipad 1 so I didn't deem it worth paying for. Maybe mine was more difficult than average because the screen was really badly shattered. Every time I tried to pry an edge loose, tiny glass shards went everywhere. I tried to clean up as I went, but I guess that slowed me down enough that the adhesive kept cooling off and I had to keep pulling out the hair dryer, which blew more glass shards everywhere. It was such a mess I just gave up. Perhaps if I were to try another, I could do a better job, but it was harder and messier than I anticipated.

And I just threw in the cat story because I thought it was funny.

1) replace the iPad 1 with something newer.
Already done. The Ipad 1 was just a spare, but it was useful as a book reader
2) replace the cat with a dog.
NEVER!
For one thing, we sold our cat-only veterinary practice for enough to retire comfortably into a life of leisure flying. And if we had dogs, we couldn't just put out an extra litter box and some extra food and take off for a few days to fly somewhere fun, like we can with our cats. Dogs don't do well on their own for more than a few hours. They are too needy.

Already done. The Ipad 1 was just a spare, but it was useful as a book reader

NEVER!
For one thing, we sold our cat-only veterinary practice for enough to retire comfortably into a life of leisure flying. And if we had dogs, we couldn't just put out an extra litter box and some extra food and take off for a few days to fly somewhere fun, like we can with our cats. Dogs don't do well on their own for more than a few hours. They are too needy.

Dogs are not needy, they’re living members of family. Cats can survive on their own for a few days because they live alone even when their people are home. There’s no love in a cat’s heart, only the desire to extract your soul while you sleep. Dogs love unconditionally. Cats poop in boxes of dirt. If their owners are lucky. iPads are great.

The mall here has a booth that wanted $85 bucks, and for another $60 they would have replaced the battery while it was there. But it is a spare, and an ipad 1 so I didn't deem it worth paying for.

Yeah, at that price it’s not worth it on an iPad 1. That’s too bad. The local fixit shop priced that too high to make it worth doing anymore in that case. That’s more than the device is worth now.

I replaced the screen on my iPhone once. I tried replacing the glass on my iPad mini after I dropped it with the case open thinking it would be similar. Well, after I put it back together and powered up found I had broken the LCD. <sad face>
c3c1af3e9c8c0b731ca0e8fa3640229a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dogs are not needy, they’re living members of family. Cats can survive on their own for a few days because they live alone even when their people are home. There’s no love in a cat’s heart, only the desire to extract your soul while you sleep. Dogs love unconditionally. Cats poop in boxes of dirt. If their owners are lucky. iPads are great.

:yeahthat:

Dogs are loyal companions. Cats won't hesitate to move in with the neighbor next door if they think they can extract a slightly better deal. :yes:

Cats are almost as bad as cat people. Just kiddddinggg! ;):oops:

:yeahthat:

Dogs are loyal companions. Cats won't hesitate to move in with the neighbor next door if they think they can extract a slightly better deal. :yes:

You're confused. That's the definition of women....:eek::D;)

Feel your pain. I tried replacing a broken screen on my iPod Touch twice. First time I broke it. Second time it fell off after a week. I was so ****ed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're confused. That's the definition of women....:eek::D;)
As the saying goes:
Women and cats will do as they damn well please,
Men and dogs will just have to get used to it.

But seeing as how I love women, it is an easy stretch to love a cat. Most cats (of course not all cats) are more affectionate than most women.
Not that a cat is a substitute, just similar.

As the saying goes:
Women and cats will do as they damn well please,
Men and dogs will just have to get used to it.

But seeing as how I love women, it is an easy stretch to love a cat. Most cats (of course not all cats) are more affectionate than most women.
Not that a cat is a substitute, just similar.

Most animals like things that smell bad; most women don’t like things that smell bad. Just sayin.

Back