Fixed pitch prop - Overhaul or IRAN

idahoflier

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
idahoflier
My engine is being overhauled so may as well take care of the prop. The prop appears to be in good shape and had an overhaul 1100 hrs. ago.

My understanding is that there is no TBO on a Sensenich fixed pitch aluminum propeller.

Local prop shop will overhaul for around $800.00 or IRAN for $350.00. The IRAN includes a strip, re-balance and re-paint which is all I really care about.

Is there any value to spending the extra $ for an overhaul?

Thanks!

If it needs new paint and stuff sure, what extra do they do for another $450?

I’d also balance after the whole thing is back together.

Strip and paint it yourslf and save $350!
I used spray can Krylon on the last one I did and it turned out fabulous!

Hopefully you also had it balanced.

That engine and prop was always super silky smooth.. I figured a prop shop would screw it up.
No I did not balance it and it was still silk smooth after i painted it.
You think I got to much paint on one end??? LOL!

That engine and prop was always super silky smooth.. I figured a prop shop would screw it up.

Yup, I’ve seen lots of shops up north where you have sand on the runways re spray props and not go through the whole balance routine every time.

Strip and paint it yourslf and save $350!
I used spray can Krylon on the last one I did and it turned out fabulous!

The prop looks fine to me and aside from the leading edge probably doesn't even need painting. But, I have only owned the aircraft for two years and 160 hrs so I don't know the history other than what's in the logs. It seems smooth to me now, but I have also heard once you do dynamic balancing you will be amazed, so what do I know?

I just figured it's off, new engine overhaul, why not get it inspected and balanced. I just wanted to make sure there isn't really a compelling reason to go with the full overhaul...

IRAN unless it's damaged or in poor condition or you want to repitch. Or consider trading in for a better (STC) prop if that's an option. That's what I did. The OH included an STC power upgrade, so I matched the OH engine with a better STC prop. Well worth it, but of course $$$.

Never oh a fixed pitch, unless there is a specific reason to do it. An oh requires it be resurfaced. There is only so much metal than can be removed. Then it's red tagged. Iran only if you can.

I'm actually assuming it wasn't perfectly balanced to begin with.

I was faced with the same choice. I had my prop IRAN’d and statically balanced. Once on the engine with 4 new cylinders, had it dynamically balanced. Made a large difference in smoothness.

Where can I get my Piper Archer Sensnich propeller IRANed in the Northeast? I am in CT.

Which service you choose should be determined by the condition of the prop.

Back