Fixed-gear Glasair FT a good budget airplane?

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
While I’m well read up on Vans RVs and spam can Cessnas and Pipers, I’ve never given much thought of owning a Glasair as I’ve always assumed they’d be expensive to maintain and insure due to being retractable gear (same with Lancairs).

There’s currently (at the time of this posting) a 1986 Glasair FT for sale for $76k. It’s currently based only 50 miles of where I live, so I’m wondering, are the fixed-gear models fairly inexpensive when it comes to insurance and parts cost? The ad actually claims 170 kt cruise, though a ‘for sale’ ad isn’t exactly the wisest place to be informed on performance. A quick Google search indicates the cruise is around 137 kts, though it could be a different model. This particular Glasair has a 160 hp O320 with constant-speed prop (CSA prop will be somewhat more expensive in maintenance than a fp prop).

If the airplane has good fit and finish, 170 knots at 8.5 GPH sounds very reasonable. The Glasairs are fast.

And a FG anything is reasonably easy (and inexpensive) to maintain until you have to do an engine or prop.

The downside to that airplane model is the pattern speed. You're gonna need more runway than an RV or a 172, particularly landing it.

The upside is that it is fast.

I’m not an expert on the Glasair airplanes but my friend owns a 160hp fixed gear tricycle Glasair II that I’ve flown some and helped him maintain. My suggestion would be to find someone who will let you get some time in theirs before you make a decision. My friend’s airplane is very pitch sensitive, something that I’m led to believe has been improved in the more favored Glasair III. I wouldn’t want to try and hand fly instruments in his airplane without more practice and a steady hand. The 320 powered Glasairs aren’t as fast as the bigger engine ones so cruise speed is a bit slower, but not 137 knot slow. Also, as was already mentioned, the pattern speeds and landing will be a bit of an eye opener if you’re coming from the typical 172/Cherokee type airplanes.

The airplane is overbuilt and the kit was designed in a way that people with mediocre fabrication skills should have a decent result. The fuel system is a little odd but nothing of concern. The biggest concern I would have construction wise is what corners got cut in an attempt to save money or time.

Unless you find something on EBay or barnstormers, you’re not gonna find parts. Glasair currently supports Glastar/Sportsman’s only. The good thing is, it’s a homebuilt so most of the stuff that you can’t find can usually be fabricated.

Insurance on my 1FT is $800 annually but that’s liability only. Back when I had full coverage with $50K hull, I believe it was around $1600.

170 KTAS isn’t completely out of the question. I (iO-320) could get that running 2700 rpm but typical cruise at 24 squared yields around 163 KTAS at 8.7 gph. Climb rate is between 1500-1800 fpm.

It’s a tight fit but being a homebuilt, you’ll see variances in interior room. Some seats allow better headroom than others. Baggage area is probably the equivalent to a C150. Max weight 80 lbs.

Controls are push rods with cables to the rudder. Handling is light and responsive. Visibility is excellent.

Last edited:
Insurance on my 1FT is $800 annually but that’s liability only. Back when I had full coverage with $50K hull, I believe it was around $1600.
You might join the Lancair forum and ask Paul (moderator) for access to their insurance forum. They have a company offering liability on equivalent Lancair models with retract at just under $500. I would think they could at least match that on a FT Glasair.

If the airplane has good fit and finish, 170 knots at 8.5 GPH sounds very reasonable. The Glasairs are fast.

And a FG anything is reasonably easy (and inexpensive) to maintain until you have to do an engine or prop.

The downside to that airplane model is the pattern speed. You're gonna need more runway than an RV or a 172, particularly landing it.

The upside is that it is fast.

I saw on a yt video where someone said a prop could range between $15-17k, and maybe $12k for 2-blade (I mentioned a c/s prop was “somewhat” more expensive, I hadn’t seen the video until after posting). I had no idea a c/s prop was that expensive, but perhaps this only for a new prop, and not a prop overhaul.

Sadly I’m not in the market for an airplane at this time, but I couldn’t help but wonder when I saw the ad. Oddly enough, it’s based at an airport with a grass runway, though it has a paved runway as well (or it wouldn’t be based there).

One of my friends has a Glasair, and it has the most uncomfortable seats I have ever encountered.
After 45 minutes, I'm a cripple.
Even my PA-17 with it's canvas sling and hard pad is good for 2 hours.

One of my friends has a Glasair, and it has the most uncomfortable seats I have ever encountered.
After 45 minutes, I'm a cripple.
Even my PA-17 with it's canvas sling and hard pad is good for 2 hours.

There is some adustability in the seats, cushions, etc. But not a lot. So you're right in that it needs to be a reasonably good fit from the get-go.

I saw on a yt video where someone said a prop could range between $15-17k, and maybe $12k for 2-blade (I mentioned a c/s prop was “somewhat” more expensive, I hadn’t seen the video until after posting). I had no idea a c/s prop was that expensive, but perhaps this only for a new prop, and not a prop overhaul.

Sadly I’m not in the market for an airplane at this time, but I couldn’t help but wonder when I saw the ad. Oddly enough, it’s based at an airport with a grass runway, though it has a paved runway as well (or it wouldn’t be based there).

Well I’ve got a 2 blade CS Hartzell that is essentially the same thing most IO-320s use. I’m sure it’s the same price a Vans Hartzell would be. Last I checked around $8K. You can get a custom Catto prop for around $4-5K.

Back