Five TV Shows You Watch

Lots of previously mentioned (plus some to look into, thanks!), Chris finally put up Shameless (my current catch-up show, other than Top Gear UK).

My only fave not yet mentioned:

Dr. Who

Which was a catch-up show, right until I saw this year's Christmas Special live (love me the concept of the UK Christmas specials!).

Players
Masters
U. S. Open
British Open
PGA
(Ryder Cup) every other year.

Warehouse 13
Stargate reruns
Live from Lincoln Center
Alton Brown reruns
60 minutes when I'm home

I haven't had five shows I regularly watch since around 1980....and they weren't that great then!! I just had more time then.

We counting reruns? MASH and Firefly. Probably watch old episodes of those more than anything new. Well, except Top Gear.

What's TV?

It's a big box in the living room with moving pictures and sound, but that's not important right now.

Castle (love Nathan Fillion)
Suits
Person of Interest
Covert Affairs (love Piper Perabo, but for different reasons)
Falling Skies

Plus a new one: Monday Mornings

USA has the best shows on TV, followed by TNT.

Forgot to mention:

Mickey Mouse Club House
Bubble Guppies
Jake and the Neverland Pirates
Doc McStuffins
Looney Toons

In no particular order ...

MLB, NFL, NBA
History Detectives
Rick Steves' Europe
O'Reilly Factor
Portlandia

Not sure what that reality show is that my wife watches. I think it's called America's Fattest Dancing Runway-Model Apprentice Chefs, or something like that.

:dunno:

Did you just learn of TED Talks or have you been watching them for awhile? If so, any favorites?

Long time fan of both the talks and "the TED radio hour" on NPR.

Faves? Off the top of my head, Vejay's flying robot talk, Adam Savage, and the "online filter bubble" are all good.

Record them and fast forward through the commercials.

Warehouse 13
Vikings
Robot Chicken
Dr. Who
Fringe reruns, when we can get them.

We cut the cable a couple of years ago. At the time, I realized that the only thing I was watching on cable was Mythbusters. My wife would watch "Dancing with the Stars", but we could get that over the air. So, 4 hours of Mythbusters a month, and cable was costing us $40 a month, meant we were paying $10 for each episode of MB. I liked the show, but not that much.

So we got Netflix and Roku, and haven't missed TV at all. I have no idea what is currently on - for example, I've watched season 1 of Flying Wild Alaska, but nothing since, since it's not on Netflix. Really, I think I can survive.

Plus, if a show isn't released on Netflix until a year after it airs, but I'm a year behind, does it really matter? It's the same to me, right? :)

We do watch some old series sometimes, like Star Trek or Twilight Zone recently.

What I've noticed, though, is that since I've been watching commercial-free TV for a couple years now, when I do occassionally watch something on "normal" TV, I find the commercials to be really intrusive! I will actually lose interest in the show during the commercials. Maybe it's something like "well, I've lasted 3 minutes without knowing what happened, and it hasn't killed me, maybe I don't really care..."!

We recorded some shows at one time but never watched them. Even better. I don't think the red button on the DVR has a single push.

Record them and fast forward through the commercials.

Warehouse 13
Vikings
Robot Chicken
Dr. Who
Fringe reruns, when we can get them.

The water cooler aspect is sort of lost with cable cutters. That whole thing where we all watch a show at the same time and then talk about it the next day at the water cooler stops.

Netflix has finally done what has been coming for years...cut out the networks. With 'House of Cards' Netflix has created a series to compete with network TV. I made sure to watch that series just to show support for a model that doesn't screw it's customers. Networks give you packages full of hundreds of channels that nobody wants. They refuse to sell ala carte what channels a customer wants. Why? Because they are evil and big establishment and need to be marginalized.

So I started watching House of Cards for that reason. Turns out its a pretty good show too. I actually like it.

No cable here either.

Network: Big Bang Theory, occasional Sienfeld rerun.

Netflix: Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, and Dual Survivor, Man Vs. Wild, Man Woman Wild, etc (yea, I'm an outdoor guy).

Umm, yeah,

Bones is about all I watch and it isn't as good anymore

Netflix gives me Star Trek, working on Enterprise now

We recorded some shows at one time but never watched them. Even better. I don't think the red button on the DVR has a single push.

You're cheating yourself. I almost never watch live tv anymore, even if the show I want to watch is on. I'll watch something else for at least a half hour just so I can FF through the commercials.

And every time I glance at this thread I think of more shows I DVR. I'm hooked on Shark Tank. I despise their egos, but for some reason it's still fun to watch. I still can't believe they passed on City Kitty and Copa da Vino.

Long time fan of both the talks and "the TED radio hour" on NPR.

Faves? Off the top of my head, Vejay's flying robot talk, Adam Savage, and the "online filter bubble" are all good.

Adam Savage on the dodo and Maltize Falcon is a favorite of mine, the way his mind works he is me with red hair, money

oh and SKILL

Yeah, I've watched the Adam Savage TED Talk too. Really good. He's as nerdy in real life as he is on Myth Busters!

I too identify with him...sans red hair and money as well.

The Five
Bluebloods
MLB
NFL
Sean Hannity
O'Reilly Factor
Bret Baer

1) Whale Wars
2) The Office
3) Ice pilots
4) Flying Wild Alaska
5) Mythbusters

We've been using rabbit ears for years now... I look at those ads in the mail and wonder if I could ever justify going back to paying for TV ever again.

We do have the cheap Netflix, sans mailed DVDs, and Karen sometimes fires up the iPad with the ABC App for one show she's never home to watch. A commercial-laden DVR, basically.

Will admit to liking House of Cards enough, that we plowed through every episode in a single weekend recently.

Also I keep finding classic movies Karen hasn't seen, too. She'd never seen Glengarry GlenRoss. Now she knows that coffee is for closers. A few years ago it was Dr. Strangelove.

We've had our addictions to certain shows over the years...

Flying Wild Alaska (broke down and bought that one through Apple to keep up in season)

Boston Legal (we were completely enamored with that show... Shatner's character Denny Crane cracked me up)

West Wing

Deadliest Catch and related add on shows

House (for a while, but got off track and never caught up)

Lost (late interest and then couldn't stop watching)

Amazing Race (but mostly because we get a kick out of their "formula" pairings every season... The gay couple, the model and her boyfriend, the father/kid team, the old couple -- who we usually like the most -- It's kinda dumb though.)

And if we just happen to be sitting here when it's on, Shark Tank can be entertaining, mostly for the "oh, no... They ran over another puppy with a lawnmower!" aspect. Some of the idiots pitching their businesses are unbelievable. Especially the ones that don't know their numbers cold off the top of their heads...

On and we watch a lot of YouTube stuff too. Being able to just poke a button and toss something from the iPad to the AppleTV is great.

Subscriptions there include ...

Shootin' stuff...

Hickock45
Colion Noir
The Yankee Marshall

Aviation stuff...

Various podcasters and folks and an enormous Favorites list that can be watched again and again...

And of course, animal videos. Haha.

If I got time to waste watching TV I got time for the commercials. If you don't have them, when do you pee, check other channels or read email?

You're cheating yourself. I almost never watch live tv anymore, even if the show I want to watch is on. I'll watch something else for at least a half hour just so I can FF through the commercials.

And every time I glance at this thread I think of more shows I DVR. I'm hooked on Shark Tank. I despise their egos, but for some reason it's still fun to watch. I still can't believe they passed on City Kitty and Copa da Vino.

1. Star Trek Voyager
2. Stargate ( Every Series)
3. Air Crash Investigations ( Also called Mayday , Air Disasters )
4. Top Gear (UK)
5. Dr. Who

Coming from a family who use to work in the TV industry I had withdrawals going into college. Our family revolved around nightly network shows. Mainly for the simple fact my dad had to continually monitor them. Now I still had a normal childhood: playing outside, Boy scouts, getting hurt, doing dumb things, and having friends over.
So don't take it like I watched 40 hours of TV a week. It's just that it was always on and in multiple rooms.

Now since I'm renting an apartment, our form of TV is Netflix and iTunes via my AppleTV. I'm to far from Little Rock to get free OVA network stations.

Anything aviation
Dr. Who
Psych (due to West Wing)
Castle(due to Firefly)
Covert Affairs
White Collar
Burn Notice
MythBusters
Royal Pains
Criminal Minds

Okay, it's more than five.

Back