Fitting in a 152

ebykowsky

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
goalstop
Hello all,
Just had a quick question--I've been flying 172's for all of my training, and being just about finished, I'm looking into joining a flying club in my area, and the one that I found has plenty of planes (several 172's, an arrow, an archer, and a 152). However, the 152 is by far the cheapest to rent, and I'd love to be able to fly without paying that much (something like $79/hour). Unfortunately, I'm 6'3-6'4, 200lbs. Would I be able to fit in the 152, or will I be forced to keep renting 172's (which cost an additional $25/hr)? Also, what's the learning curve like from a 172 to a 152? I'd assume pretty low (maybe a one-hour checkout?) but any input would be appreciated.

Here's the link to the flying club: http://www.condoraero.com/default.html

Thanks,
Eric

The 152 and the 172 are different birds but transition shouldn't be long.

I'm about 5'10 200lbs and my buddy is about 6'4 200lbs and we "fit" in one, had just enough fuel to get to the next airport over. Wouldn't have wanted to go much further anyway. Solo or with someone 120lbs or so, you outta be fine, comfort is subjective though.

Depends on how limber you are. You really should not have any issues. Just go try, but remember to take your wallet out of your back pocket. The Cessna seats combined with a wallet in the back pocket leads to legs that go to sleep.

I plan on mostly going up with a friend who weighs about 145 and is pretty short, so it looks like I should be fine. And, I hopefully won't need too much fuel since this will mostly be for 1-hr or so joy rides.

Also, I've never understood people who keep their wallet in their back pocket--it's pretty uncomfortable no matter where you're sitting.

I know a guy who when he is solo sort of sits in the middle and puts his feet on opposite sides ... Looks funny but apparently it works!

Hello all,
Just had a quick question--I've been flying 172's for all of my training, and being just about finished, I'm looking into joining a flying club in my area, and the one that I found has plenty of planes (several 172's, an arrow, an archer, and a 152). However, the 152 is by far the cheapest to rent, and I'd love to be able to fly without paying that much (something like $79/hour). Unfortunately, I'm 6'3-6'4, 200lbs. Would I be able to fit in the 152, or will I be forced to keep renting 172's (which cost an additional $25/hr)? Also, what's the learning curve like from a 172 to a 152? I'd assume pretty low (maybe a one-hour checkout?) but any input would be appreciated.

Here's the link to the flying club: http://www.condoraero.com/default.html

Thanks,
Eric

Eric -- you and I are the same size and weight. I tried a 152 on for size and it just wouldn't work. "Us" tall guys are built differently. Depending on your torso and leg distribution it may work for you. I would go try one on for size. I would believe the checkout would be like any other plane in its class.

At just over 6 feet and well over 200 pounds, I find the 150/152 to be quite roomy and easy to get in and out of compared to many of the aircraft I have flown.

At 6'3" 180 I fit quite snug, make sure the seat is slid all the way back. If you can fit you'll enjoy the 152 more than the 172, very light on the controls comparatively.

I'm 6'2" and around 215 pounds. Our club had a 150 when I was a student pilot and I put all of 4.1 hours in it. I can't get the seat back far enough and my knees are in the bottom of the panel when I go for the brakes. 3 flights and I swore off 150s. Keep in mind the limited payload if you plan on having someone in the right seat, too.

It will be tight but, OK to maximize your air time.

My buddy trained in a 152 and he's 6'8"! Yes, he flew with his head cocked to one side, no lie. He wanted the most flying hours for his sabatical funding and he got it!

I recently transitioned from a 172 to 152, I'm 6'3, not heavy but I have long legs. I personally made the switch because

1 - It's cheaper without much loss of performance (with just me I'm about 250lbs under MGW full fuel.) Also burns less of that awful leaded avgas.

2 - It's lighter and more responsive than the 172, I think having to deal with that workload in wind and the lack of some features might make me a better pilot than learning exclusively in a 172.

3 - A friend of mine prefers the 172, we could both be flying at the same time and wouldn't interfere with each others' schedules.

I have to contort a bit to get in, and there's certainly less space than the 172. The seat doesn't go back really at all. My hands end up in a good position to work everything but when I slide my toes off the brakes my knees come up to the yoke. It doesn't really restrict my movement, but it "feels" tight. Because you sit a lot lower you can see a little farther under the wings than you can in the 172.

Also, since there's not a lot of interior space, managing maps and the like can get a little more cumbersome.

Last edited:
I thought I was the only one that took my wallet out when I fly! :D And it's been that way in every Cessna I've owned for the last 15 years.;)

Depends on how limber you are. You really should not have any issues. Just go try, but remember to take your wallet out of your back pocket. The Cessna seats combined with a wallet in the back pocket leads to legs that go to sleep.

If I ever get a chance, I should try and get some small Cessna air-time. I'm 5 feet tall and 95 pounds. I think I'd fit! :D

At just over 6 feet and well over 200 pounds, I find the 150/152 to be quite roomy and easy to get in and out of compared to many of the aircraft I have flown.

With someone else in the "cabin?"

I got much of my primary instruction in a C150, and it was a tight squeeze with instructor.

I am 6' 2" 185 and fit in the 152 just fine. The checkout shouldn't take more than an hour, unless the insurance requires something additional. I started flying one to save money and ended up liking it more than the 172, especially in the fall/winter when the climb performance isn't an issue.

At gross it will still climb 600-700 on a cool day and cruises around 105kts.

The only thing that's gonna matter is what you think of it when you go ahead and try it!

Also I see you fly out of PJC - cool! I did a fair bit of flying out of BVI for the school thing and came by PJC many a time. I had no idea they had as many aircraft as they do.

Keep us posted!

Haven't flown out of there yet, have been doing most of it out of AGC while I'm there. But it's not too far of a drive to PJC and they do have a nice selection of planes.

With someone else in the "cabin?"

I got much of my primary instruction in a C150, and it was a tight squeeze with instructor.

Yes. I flew a Cessna 120 from Detroit to Fairbanks (and back) with my brother (I was under 200 at the time).

My current ride (Merlin GT) is tight as well (one of the Avid Flier derivatives.) Getting in is not as easy as a 150/152 because of the stick...

SAM_0588.JPG

No, you can't yawn and stretch out your arms in a Cessna 150/152. And, yes, you will be touching elbows. But unless the other person has leprosy or something, (or you have some kind of hygiene fetish) it works out.

(MOMMMMM HE'S TOUCHING ME!!!!)

I am 6'5", 230 lbs and I fit into 150 better than into several low-wings. Visibility to the side is restricted as usual, but that's a given. The yoke coming a little up helps, but heed the post by Arc above. Basically the right thing for you is close the browser, go to the airport, and do a fit check.

Back