Fit to fly... Or at least not die...

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Fascinating statistics associated with this simple fitness test.

http://youtu.be/oQIbffQj2xM

I get a 9.

I need a hand to get moving upward, can't quite get off the floor with leg power alone but no balance or grabbing issues after that.

Which makes sense. I need to lose weight.

How do you do?

shot intestines into gonads, going to hospital now, thanks

I have 8. 8 knee operations, that is. No friggin way I'm going to attempt that silly maneuver. If I did I'd tie you with 9.

I got 10 but I have had a couple beers. Can probably do better in the morning.

Edit: Man, my knees sound like rice krispies on the way down and back up. No pain, just a lot of crackling sounds.

What do I win for a -3?

...and that is just climbing outta the 182.

Last edited:
Okay, I just did it for real...call it a 9.5 'cause I had to rock forward then take a step back to get stood up. No hernia...but that is one ill advised test for anyone that doesn't know that they can do it.

There's nobody here to hold my beer and watch so I score 10 points since none have been deducted yet :D

Had to make a slight rocking forward to get onto my feet and I just barely managed to get the power to lift my girth but I did it... a little wobbly on the way up due to the strain but it was done.

Do I win a prize?

I'd bet most guys that can do that own spandex. That could be interpreted to mean that if you wear spandex you might live longer than the rest of us.

Some things can't be justified, no matter what.

Moral of the story...beer drinking spandex wearing Christians live longer. Fact.

10. I did it 14 times quickly before I messed up. Flexibility is definitely not my thing though and never has been... Probably won't be able to get out of bed in the morning.

I really should start running, it's been a year, and I have a half marathon to do in May...

After 2 knee surgeries, not even going to try. Incredibly stupid test for those of us with knee problems. If I tried, would probably need knee replacements!

I'd totally try it, but I'm heading out on a ski trip today, and I don't want to hurt myself before I leave the house. I guess I'm on death's doorstep if I don't think I can do it without injury.

Last edited:
I don't believe anything a guy with those silly toe shoes says.

ETA: I need to use one hand to get started on the way back up.

Last edited:
I feel like I need to train for this challenge.

I tore cartilage in both knees in high school. One playing football, the other tennis, thus I don't think I'll even try. One occasionally locks up during normal everyday activity so don't really think I need to be side loading it as this test does.

Ya.... I'm in good enough shape to run a half marathon but I can look at the video and see the knee pain coming. Why torture myself for some arbitrary test? I'm confident with a little practice I could do it while listening to snap crackle pop from my joints but why?

I feel like I need to train for this challenge.

"Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!" :D

messed up knees, bulging disk in L3,4 ... not gonna try that one.

I have yet to see any meaningful correlation between balance and longevity, which is determined more by lifestyle habits and genetics than anything else (excepting centenarians, of course).

Last edited:
Heh. All you people with knee replacements are going to die!!!! Haha. Kiddin'.

I did it but I farted when I stood up. Does that take a point off?

Where did he got those mortality stats from though?

No problem for me but I know I have fairly strong legs for my weight. Just don't ask me to do pull-ups. :redface:

"Cannot load movie".

I'm good with that.

I did it but I farted when I stood up. Does that take a point off?

Jet propulsion is allowed.

Where did he got those mortality stats from though?

You can Google the study. It's out there.

The local news was covering this last night so I just Googled the first YouTube video I saw that showed the test.

I figured if anyone was interested in the stats and the study that the Googles work where y'all are.

If Google is down... Dunno. Call the FCC. They're in charge of the Internet now. ROFL.

10. I have been doing something like that for years, with the feet together instead of crossed. Crossed, it's actually easier.

No fair; The chick in the video has a low center of gravity and wide LG track.

Heh. All you people with knee replacements are going to die!!!! Haha. Kiddin'.

Gotta think there's a huge difference 'twixt the capabilities of the average 25 yo and a 65 yo also. Mr. Steroids said nothing about that. I would hope the actual study does.

Edit: Actually, the study was done with people ages 51 to 80.

Last edited:
Gotta think there's a huge difference 'twixt the capabilities of the average 25 yo and a 65 yo also.
I fully expect this to be a hell of a lot more difficult in 40 years. Maybe I'll just do it every day until then and live forever? Or more likely I'll just blow out my knees...lol

Or more likely I'll just blow out my knees...lol

I would think that'd be the likely outcome for sure! Lots of torsional/eccentric loading in that maneuver on joints that I'd rather not subject to it.

Back