Fit of nostalgia

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
For years I’ve been wondering about the fate of my dad’s first airplane, a 1965 Cessna 150E that he owned from 1968 to 1973. That airplane was an important part of our lives.

My dad bought N3594J just a couple of months after he and I both got our private pilot licenses in the late summer of 1968. Price was $3,600. My dad got his instrument rating in the airplane, and I used it to get my commercial, instrument and CFI -- and the toughest test of all, the first date with the girl who has now been my wife for 48 years.

The little 150 was well-equipped for its time, with a 90-channel Narco Mark 12 with VOR/localizer indicator, and what was known in the parlance of the day as a “full gyro panel.” To make it a "fully-equipped" instrument trainer (by 1969 standards), we added a Genave 3-light marker beacon receiver, and a panel-mounted stopwatch.

The airplane was built with what Cessna called the "Trainer" option package, which included such luxuries as dual controls, sensitive altimeter, sun visors, cigarette lighter and a clock. It also had the optional heavy-duty landing gear (thus the unusual forward-pointing nose gear torque link scissors). There were no wheel fairings, and it had the basic factory paint scheme -- dark brown and white trim stripes on the fuselage and tail, with the wings and most of the rest of the airframe bare aluminum. Before we bought it, the airplane was based at Torrance, California. To protect the airframe from the salt sea air, the prior owner painted over the bare metal and the white trim with a light yellow paint, leaving the original dark brown metallic trim.

It was not a good paint job. Some corrosion was already apparent on the three-year-old skins, so we needed to strip and repaint the airplane shortly after we bought it. We liked the yellow-and-brown combination, however, so the new paint job was a copy of the previous scheme -- all-over light yellow, with dark brown trim in the 1965 factory scheme.

My dad sold the airplane in 1973. The purchaser was a lawyer in Santa Barbara who already owned a Beech Baron. He wanted the 150 for his wife to learn to fly.

A few years ago I looked it up on the FAA registration site and saw that it had been exported to Canada in 1979. Finally about a month ago I looked it up by serial number on the Canadian registry and found the name and address of the current owner, who lives near Calgary, Alberta. I wrote him a letter, explained the reason for my inquiry, and asked if he might indulge an old pilot’s fit of nostalgia by sending me a current photo or two.

I received the email from him yesterday morning, and it was more than I could have ever imagined. The airplane is not only still flying, it is in magnificent condition. It was completely renovated in 2016, with a Lycoming 150 hp engine, new Sensenich propeller, and a stylish new paint job. The airplane is an integral part of his young family, just as it was in our own, a half century ago.

He said, "It is an incredibly fun aircraft, especially at the high elevations here in Alberta, I can't see us selling it for many years! The climb performance is phenomenal, comfortably getting 1000fpm all the way up to 10,000ft. It doesn't stop there but I don't usually need to go much higher! Cruise speed is slightly faster, around 105 kts at around 8 gph. It is ideal for exploring the mountains and remote grass strips that we have close by us here."

This made my day! :)

It was especially satisfying, since I had also recently tracked down another 150 I used to own, and the outcome was not so happy.

Well look on the bright side Jeff, at least N3104X is still with us. What a difference in those two pictures though - bright and new in the first, old and tired in the second.

Well look on the bright side Jeff, at least N3104X is still with us. What a difference in those two pictures though - bright and new in the first, old and tired in the second.
It could be that it's just the paint that's old and tired while everything else is fresh...

That's fantastic to see Jeff! The only remaining alive owners of my airplane are the ones that I bought it from. They've taken keen interest in my upgrades and check in often to see how she's doing, and I'm always happy to share :).

My old 150 seems to like mountains. The fellow who bought it from me flew it to Oregon. It now lives in the mountains of Tennessee.

Awesome post! Very cool story - thank you for sharing. I found myself experiencing your nostalgia even though I wasn't even close to born by the time your family had sold N3594J

Gotta love a pull starter.

Thanks for the post!

This thread got me thinking about a 150 as a first plane option. I had initially ruled it out as we have mountains in California and i thought it would be too limiting. After reading this thread a did a little poking around and it seems that some do fly 150s through the mountains. I get that it will have limitations but, if it means I can fly more often maybe I should consider a smaller plane.

Apologies for going off topic, thanks for sharing the story!

1000 fpm up to 10? Does it have rocket assist? Me and my tiny wife get maybe 250-300 max out of our club 150 beginning at 5400. When I launched solo just me and camping gear from 7600 I think I was getting near 50-100 fpm.

1000 fpm up to 10? Does it have rocket assist? Me and my tiny wife get maybe 250-300 max out of our club 150 beginning at 5400. When I launched solo just me and camping gear from 7600 I think I was getting near 50-100 fpm.

He mentioned a 150hp engine upgrade, also known as 150/150.

For years I’ve been wondering about the fate of my dad’s first airplane, a 1965 Cessna 150E that he owned from 1968 to 1973. That airplane was an important part of our lives.

Great story! I know where all of my previous planes are...sadly, one was parted out not that many years ago, but, to my knowledge, my 2 140s soldier on (one in NY and the other in southern VA), and the Malibu was converted to oil power and is serving as executive transport on the west coast.

As to all the assorted 152s and 172s that were part of the school? All except a couple are still on the registry...including the 152 I soloed in 1987...

Great story!

Back