fish stocking in Utah

Cessna 185 according to the N number.

Our previous mechanic mentioned working on 185's with floats for our DNR specifically for stocking fish. I thought he said they could land on the lake and release or below a certain airspeed that doesn't kill too many of them

My wife would rather talk about de stocking fish.....and don't throw away the heads.... yuck.!!

All this time putting fish in tanks and ponds and being super careful about them adapting to the new water temp and stuff...Apparently I can just drop them in from a few hundred feet haha

When airplane camping in the mountains in Idaho a local was telling us about this. They used to tanker em in on horseback he said but they lost more fish that way than from an air drop… I found that pretty interesting

Another one I find interesting - beavers in the desert. It turns out, when they dam up the rivers there, they raise the water table and create year round water sources, which creates green space all across the river. That also creates deeper and reliable water sources for fish, although I don't think airdropping them would work.

There are species of beavers which were native to the desert, but apparently many different beavers can thrive there.

https://www.hcn.org/issues/50.15/wildlife-how-beavers-make-the-desert-bloom

Great. Now I have a mental image of a beaver with goggles and a parachute jumping out of a DC 3 into occupied France.
From what I have read , "Beavers" did do that.

Great. Now I have a mental image of a beaver with goggles and a parachute jumping out of a DC 3 into occupied France.
With that big, flat tail, they could probably even steer the round chutes.

No no no, this isn’t fish stocking. You peacenik guys and your rosy glasses.

This is clearly fish BOMBING. I don’t know why... I don’t know to what end... but it’s clearly fish bombing.

I’m sure even Bernoulli would agree.

Back