Firsts for me

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
Got in not one but two aviation firsts for me this week.
1) Used HF radio for making position reports. This was a Hawker trip from Chicago to Puerto Rico. Really amazing that we're still using this 1940's technology.
2) Got a popup IFR clearance. This was flying my Mooney from Greenville, SC to my home airport near Atlanta. I was flying back from a nice airport restaurant lunch with Dave Siciliano and some of his AvSig buddies. I was cruising VFR at 6500' on this 45 minute flight and started getting a solid cloud deck under me. Rather than go down into the hot bumpy air I called up Atlanta approach and asked for a popup IFR clearance. After confirming that the plane and I were legal to do this, he gave me the clearance right away. I guess it's just one more tool for the bag.

I do popup IFR clearances almost every trip - they are very helpful.

I've done it in an airplane and I've done it in an airship. Very helpful when the weather changes when the forecast didn't indicate it would.

1) Used HF radio for making position reports. This was a Hawker trip from Chicago to Puerto Rico. Really amazing that we're still using this 1940's technology.

Actually, I think SSB came along in the 1950s. Curtis LeMay worked with Collins to perfect the technology, IIRC. And, BTW, we're still using it heavily as it works. :D

After confirming that the plane and I were legal to do this, he gave me the clearance right away. I guess it's just one more tool for the bag.

Never had ATC ask if I or the airplane was capable of IFR. If I ask for an IFR clearance, then per the FARs I must be qualified and the airplane must be capable. It's not their position to ask.

Never had ATC ask if I or the airplane was capable of IFR. If I ask for an IFR clearance, then per the FARs I must be qualified and the airplane must be capable. It's not their position to ask.

Position or not he definitely asked me. After I said yes to both, he gave me a squawk code. About 1 minute later I had the clearance. I thought he was quite helpful because I don't think they're under any obligation to agree to a pop up..

Selcal on the jet?

Selcal on the jet?
Yes, we actually have 2 HF radios. Always a good flight when there's something new. On the first call up he give me a big long routing. A total pita to copy and read back. When I went to put it in the FMS, it was exactly what was already in there. :rolleyes:

Actually, I think SSB came along in the 1950s. Curtis LeMay worked with Collins to perfect the technology, IIRC. And, BTW, we're still using it heavily as it works. :D
Why not? The wet compass goes back a lot farther... but "when it works, it really works". :D

Position or not he definitely asked me. After I said yes to both, he gave me a squawk code. About 1 minute later I had the clearance. I thought he was quite helpful because I don't think they're under any obligation to agree to a pop up..

I've never had one denied. Worst case is you call FSS and file your plan, then call controller back and ask to pick up your IFR flight plan.

In the Navy our HF comms often are more reliable than the satellite stuff.

Techinically, anyone can ask for a clearance. It's the accepting of said clearance that requires appropriate qualification.

In the Navy our HF comms often are more reliable than the satellite stuff.

The beauty of HF is that it only requires a working radio at each end, and no infrastructure at all in between. The cooperation of the atmosphere is not 100%, but outages are rare, and far more predictable than outages in satellites or anything built by a contractor.

Techinically, anyone can ask for a clearance. It's the accepting of said clearance that requires appropriate qualification.

Yeah I've only had a controller ask once back when I was a noob. I guess he asked because I sounded like a noob.

Back