First Young Eagles flight...

Ghery

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Ghery Pettit
I flew my first Young Eagles flight for EAA today. A couple boys and their grandfather. Flew down to the town they live in, circled their house a couple times and then back to Olympia and a bit north. Let one of the boys take the controls for a bit. He did well, but typical loss of altitude while turning. Took the controls back, called the tower for landing and straight back into KOLM. They had a good time and it was a perfect day to go flying. Two more hooked on GA. :D

Congrats,welcome to the young eagles program.

My brother did 7 last Saturday. The group flew 125 all together. They were pretty tired after that. Well worth the time and effort though.

Congratulations! I flew my first Young Eagle event last summer & gave 24 rides...8 flights. Our EAA chapter has our next Young Eagle event schedules for June 3rd.

I really enjoyed flying with the kids last year & look forward to doing it again.

We definitely need more youth in aviation.

Young Eagles is a great way to have kids experience flying. Some of those kids get the bug and continue into flight training and/or aviation careers.

We in GA need to promote GA because, unfortunately, our flying world is on the endangered list.

I wanted to start doing them again Saturday but I've been too far out of the game. Glad I didn't, my performance was abysmal. Going up tonight to knock some rust off.

I wouldn't do it if I had any kind of estate to protect. Anything goes wrong and your dependents could wind up beggars.

I wanted to start doing them again Saturday but I've been too far out of the game. Glad I didn't, my performance was abysmal. Going up tonight to knock some rust off.

I wouldn't do it if I had any kind of estate to protect. Anything goes wrong and your dependents could wind up beggars.
EAA carries a $1 million policy that kicks in before personal insurance, if I read the details correctly. One of the reasons I don't participate with the Challenge program is the lack of insurance on the part of the organization.

EAA carries a $1 million policy that kicks in before personal insurance, if I read the details correctly. One of the reasons I don't participate with the Challenge program is the lack of insurance on the part of the organization.
Those sorts of lawsuits can burn though a million in a big hurry.

The requirement, however, is that you have $100K per seat of insurance BEFORE the EAA policy will cover you. Frankly, once you're involved in such a lawsuit, who's on first is not an issue YOU deal with. The two insurers will duke it out. Either way, you lose.

I had an engine failure flying YE. The EAA sent me a nice letter thanking me for not killing any young eagles. Two of the three sets of parents hung around until I was done with the police, etc... to thank me for bringing their kids back alive.

Last edited:
These lawsuits and founded ‘litiphobia’ are killing GA as well as so many other freedoms that we’ve had. I fly anyway even though I may be sued or burned to death in a crash.

These lawsuits and founded ‘litiphobia’ are killing GA as well as so many other freedoms that we’ve had. I fly anyway even though I may be sued or burned to death in a crash.

I've often wondered how much of the cost of a new GA airplane is lawsuit/insurance related. Wouldn't surprise me at all to learn it's 50%.

Last I heard (from a Cessna guy) it was like 25%. It's the biggest single line item after the engine.

Congrats...my first YE flight was a bit opposite. I ended up flying a bunch of kids that had all been up before and were just back for a free ride.

...well, except for one kid that was new...and she puked in the back seat...

Good times.

Young Eagles is a great program. A young man that first flew as a Young Eagle and then became a part of our youth program, soloed two days after his 16th birthday, passed his checkride on his 17th birthday on March 30 and flew his first Young Eagle on April 21st.

Back