First, well...second solo tonight!

hyphen81

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
hyphen81
I got cleared to solo tonight and did a few circuits around the pattern! (I say it was the second solo bc I was in flight school once before ~10 years ago and had solo'd then as well).

Anyway, it went good I suppose, there was a slight crosswind from 240 and I was landing on runway 1. I was nervous, but the first landing went great, and I started to settle in. Second trip around I was much more accurate with TPA and airspeed, but somehow botched the base/final and ended up REALLY high at my landing point...it's a different feel without a 200 pound CFI in the right seat! I opted to go around since it would've been tough to get it down anywhere near the approach end of the runway....argh!!! I went around and brought it in much lower the next time and was able to make a pretty decent landing.

The pattern was getting a little busy and I was getting more nervous after my botched attempt so I decided to call it a night at that point.

A funny thing happened though prior to going up solo. My CFI and I went up and did a few landings and then came back to the ramp where a ramp hand (don't know the correct terminology) was waiting to assist. I didn't see him put chocks under the nose wheel, while me and my CFI were going over my presolo test, and then my CFI got out and went into the FBO to listen on the channel. So I got my clearance and started to taxi, but the dang thing wouldn't move! I surprisingly quickly realized what had happened and called ground to tell them I would be a couple minutes while I shut down and removed the chocks.

Anyway, all went well, and I'll begin preparing for the dual cross country soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vupezaga.jpg

Awesome! Congratulations.
I like that photo.

Rock n Roll! Well, maybe with the chocks in place there's no roll, but u know what I'm trying to say.....

Rock n Roll! Well, maybe with the chocks in place there's no roll, but u know what I'm trying to say.....

Haha! There was some rocking, but definitely no roll! I was thinking, "well this is off to a good start..."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful with those chocks! I read about a poor gentleman who managed to give it enough power to roll off the chocks and the prop wash picked it up and sent it flying into his horizontal stabilizer :(

CONGRATS!!!

Chocks Stop - Been there - Done that. After I passed my PPL check ride. I got in the plane to taxi out and could not roll due to a Chock under the Tire. :)

Back